Bono introduces Terry Lawless during UC!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didnt know who he was either and I've been a fan for 20+ years. Am I a n00b now? :sad:

It seems odd. Other bands 'allow' backing musicians on stage.

They live like aristocrats. Now they think like them.

I think it's a whole lot better that they keep him under the stage. He's not in the band after all.

I imagine him being kept under the stage like a caged animal, and then at showtime, they attach a leash to his collar and lead him to the organ. On the rare occasion when he plays on stage, I'm sure the light hurts his eyes. :wink:

if terry went on stage 75% of the audience (or more) would be like "who the hell is that guy and why is he on stage with U2!?" I think adding a 5th member every now and then would kind of make the audience feel weird (I guess)? I feel kind of bad for him hiding though and usually not getting the credit he deserves.

Well I would not call me a newbie, but I hardly ever pay attention to the others on stage outside of the 4.
That's because there aren't any others on stage outside of the 4.
It seems odd. Other bands 'allow' backing musicians on stage.

They live like aristocrats. Now they think like them.

Fucking successful bastards.

For me it's weird to see a fourth guy playing with REM, of course they kind of need him since it's a drummer and all, but I always found it weird that they just didn't invite someone to join them, I mean who is writing the drum parts?

Why is Boom not a full time member of PJ?

I think these things are done for many reasons, solidarity, appearance, etc...

Plus the guy isn't comfortable on stage, so what's the big deal?

For me it's weird to see a fourth guy playing with REM, of course they kind of need him since it's a drummer and all, but I always found it weird that they just didn't invite someone to join them, I mean who is writing the drum parts?

Bill Rieflin being on stage for drums is one thing (especially since he writes and records the drum parts in the studio), but McCaughey for additional guitar and Stringfellow for keys can get annoying.

Part of the whole mystique of U2 is "those four guys on stage" so even if that mystique is a bit manufactured from time to time, it's obviously important to the band to maintain it.

Homepage

Browsing through Terry's website is interesting, even though the design is awful. He seems like a cool (and highly intelligent) guy.

From the website:

One of the highlights of my life was playing on stage with U2 for the very first time.

Oh dear. That scotches the 'Terry doesn't want to be in stage' rumours.

Just because it was a highlight doesn't mean he wants to do it every night, he's said so himself.

NO he may not want to do it everynight. But NLOTH is an album with major keyboard parts and as such it would be righful that if before or in the middle we should be introduced to him even if he does not play on stage.
We have to listen to bono drone on about some political matter, can we at least see all the musicians.

Like many things, U2 gets a pass from me on this.

I appreciate seeing all the guys it takes to play an REM show, and I think it's a little weird that they appear to be drummer-less in their press shots. How long has Bill been playing with them? 10 years? More?

I dig the fact that Wilco has had different members and they are still called "Wilco."

Just because it was a highlight doesn't mean he wants to do it every night, he's said so himself.

Yup, that's what he said.

And besides guys, he's 'just' a keyboard player, he's not part of the musical and creative process that is U2's songwriting! He did not create the music, Edge and/or Eno did that. He just plays it live.

:tsk: Yes you are.

Well I found about him during the Vertigo Tour I guess. :hmm: I think there was an interview with him or so.

Terry came on stage in Amsterdam pn july the 16th to play the piano on stage for OOTS to allow edge to play guitar. Not only did I think it was cool, it was alos by FAR the best perfromance of that song ever(bono's voice was in shape that night :rockon:)

Kudos to Terry Lawless for playing that beautiful organ part in Unknown Caller.

Which is of course ruined by Bono with his annoying "bah-bah-bahs" over it if you've heard the bootleg. Is that a Miami snippet or something? Bono. You're a great singer and a nice frontman. But please, could you sometimes like... you know, shut up?

What else is he going to say? He has a pretty prestigious job for someone in his line of work, so keeping the bosses happy is important. If U2 wants him to play underneath the stage, he's going to play underneath the stage and tell everyone he prefers it that way when asked. Whether or not he actually prefers playing without being seen I doubt anyone besides his very close (and discreet) friends will ever truly know.

It doesn't really matter to me because I'm never going to see U2 live, but I like seeing all the musicians on the stage. As big as U2's stage is, one or two additional musicians up there for a few songs can't be all that distracting, so not having them up there feels like an ego thing to me. That I find more distracting/disturbing than an extra body or two onstage. But U2 will do what U2 wants to do, so whatever. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom