Blackberry Sponsorship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathalmc

Refugee
Anyone know if Blackberry have officially stopped sponsoring the tour? I ain't seen anything from them at any show this year. Have they stopped loving U2?

i'm wondering if it was us/europe only, which would be a bit funny. the only place i think i saw anything was on the side of the soundboard, and even then i might be making it up in my mind.

i can't imagine they stopped?

Hi Peter, I can't spot the Blackberry logo on those photos from Auckland and Melbourne. I'll check the soundboard tomorra at Melbourne 2 if / when I get to the gig.

But I haven't seen any Blackberry stall at any of the shows, nor any cute Blackberry girls giving out stickers, nor can I remember Bono giving a shout out to Blackberry either (but he may well have done).

Maybe Blackberry only paid for the pre-injury 2010 dates in US/Euro(some postponed to 2011) and didn't renew for international dates.

Not sure if the Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg concert ads had Blackberry.

Maybe Blackberry decided they don't like the setlist. "PLAY ACROBAT!" they said.

Maybe Blackberry/RIM CEO Jim Balsillie helped Bono get Spiderman off the ground...then ran out of money.

Yes, I know how much cash he is supposed to have.

I checked last night and there was nothing about Blackberry on the outside of the soundboard marquee. Just U2 360 logos.

Nice to see we've gone from "Blackberry Loves U2" to "Blackberry Had A Fling With U2 Back In 2009, But They Decided It Wasn't Working Out And That They Should Start Seeing Other Corporations."

:lol:

I know it hadn't occurred to me.

Although it's not like I thought there was some big story there. I just hadn't thought about the "why," although I knew they were no longer sponsoring.

They probably signed a contract for a certain amount of time, and didnt anticipate the postponement

Once the concerts were rescheduled, they probably already re-allocated the marketing money

McGuiness knew prior to the postponement that they would be playing beyond the final Euro 2010 show. I was a little surprised Blackberry didn't want Aussie exposure and to a lesser extent Africa/Latin America. I was also surprised no other sponsor (NEXTEL at Latin shows?)stepped on board in the 11 months between the postponement and current shows.

As for Blackberry worrying about money allocation:
-Jim Balsilie spent $600mill to lose a court case over some patent thing.
BlackBerry saved - CNET News
-Jim has also waived around at least $400 million trying to secure another NHL hockey team in Ontario.

A lot has changed in two years, with Apple and Android eating their market share - Blackberry doesn't have the money anymore to throw at sponsorships, they are laying off employees, and their earnings are way down.

Back
Top Bottom