Bit of a Marketing scam for the fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry u take it as bitching. i just look at the facts. Average ticket price will be 125-150.
The $30 tickets are the last 5-10 rows of the upper deck.
10,000 on the floor. 55
20,000+ at 250
20,000 at 95
5,000 at 35

Letterman for 5 nights. Cross COuntry trek to radio and live shows.PR to the MAX/

I don't remember the stones or Radiohead or any other band at their level going to such extremes.

Nothing wrong with it but not the norm for a super star band. IF the weren't worried they would have just let the album released for free on internet and let the buzz from that carry the tour. With arenas that would work. Stadiums not.

McGuinnes is the best but LiveNation is involved now so there is more pieces to the pie then other tours. U2 is guaranted $$$ Live Nation Not.... They have to earn it in parking beer etc....

Touring in a failing economy is tough and they are hoping everyone wants an uplift just like the fall 2001. it is just questionable if they can sell out the stadiums in smaller markets.

funny business since record sales are non existent.
:shifty:

sorry u take it as bitching. i just look at the facts. Average ticket price will be 125-150.
10,000 on the floor. 55
20,000+ at 250
20,000 at 95
5,000 at 35
Where are you getting these numbers?

Letterman for 5 nights. Cross COuntry trek to radio and live shows.PR to the MAX/

I don't remember the stones or Radiohead or any other band at their level going to such extremes.

Nothing wrong with it but not the norm for a super star band. IF the weren't worried they would have just let the album released for free on internet and let the buzz from that carry the tour. With arenas that would work. Stadiums not.
Letterman and the cross country promotion is not about the tour, they hardly spoke about the tour, it was about the album. Plain and simple. The Rolling Stones don't do that because no one cares anymore about their new albums, no ones has for a long time, they are a back catalougue tour band. Why are you comparing the Stones, U2 and Radiohead? They are all three different creatures. Trust me not even Radiohead is going to give their next album away for free, it was a one time gimick.

Touring in a failing economy is tough and they are hoping everyone wants an uplift just like the fall 2001. it is just questionable if they can sell out the stadiums in smaller markets.
What smaller markets? Have they had a problem so far? Springsteen wasn't selling out his stadium tour this quickly.

Surely promotion of the album goes hand in hand with promotion for the tour. When they promted the album in the UK they just sang the songs but obviously the lead on from that is that they hope will will be intrigued enough to see them live.

i doubt they expect a massive upsurge in sales due to promoition because album sales around here are not anything they were like a few years back whereas touring is booming.

10,000 on the floor. 55
20,000+ at 250
20,000 at 95
5,000 at 35

McGuinnes is the best but LiveNation is involved now so there is more pieces to the pie then other tours. U2 is guaranted $$$ Live Nation Not.... They have to earn it in parking beer etc....

funny business since record sales are non existent.
:shifty:

Sting2/Strongbow?

10,000 on the floor. 55
20,000+ at 250
20,000 at 95
5,000 at 35

:
Now I know from what we've seen thus far, the locations of price breaks are varying from stadium to stadium, and Chicago does seem to have an inordinate amount of $250 as compared to other cities, but your numbers are pure folly.
In Foxboro, from the presale we were able to ascertain that of the 43 sections in the 100 level (lowers), exactly 8 of then were selling at the $250 face value, sections 110-113 and sections 128-131 on the other side. Assuming all the club sections are $250 (I'm not positive of this, but its my guess, certainly the ones above the previously mentioned lowers are), the red CL section, and you're still not at 10,000.

Seating Chart. Official Ticketmaster site

Surely promotion of the album goes hand in hand with promotion for the tour. When they promted the album in the UK they just sang the songs but obviously the lead on from that is that they hope will will be intrigued enough to see them live.

i doubt they expect a massive upsurge in sales due to promoition because album sales around here are not anything they were like a few years back whereas touring is booming.

How many mentions of the tour did you hear during the promotion... I remember maybe two, and they were both from Lanois. But I heard a thousand mentions of the album. You are correct, album sales are not what they used to be... But they still matter and that's what U2 was promoting, if they wanted to promote the tour at the same time you would have heard at least one mention of "360" but you didn't...

clearly "most" seats is an overstatement, but a surprising amount were in chicago for sure...250 lower level all the way to the back wall of the bowl almost, gee! 250 club level similarly, wow. That's a whole bunch of 250 seats!
I don't think anyone is desperate but what's not to worry about in times like these for selling a totally discretionary purchase (for some people that is:wink:)? Even just 100 bucks will get you MickeyD's coffee every day for 3 months ya know.

The lower level at the new Soldier Field is unusually small, and Soldier Field is the smallest stadium in the National Football League.

chicago_bears.jpg

While a lot of us are disappointed with the band's ticket prices this time around, maybe we should keep in the mind that this may be one of their final stadium tours, and perhaps one of their final grand gestures in terms of padding their bank accounts. If I was about to turn 50 and could see the light at the end of the tunnel of my musical career, I would probably be charging a lot for tickets too.

Will they probably have trouble selling out shows in middle and small markets? Probably, but I think they've come to terms with that.

Back
Top Bottom