Best/Worst crowds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found a dropped tour guide on the floor at Cardiff, and asked various people nearby whose it was till I returned it to some woman.

During the support band, her boyfriend lifted me up to let me take pictures. :lol: I never manged to find them again on a U2 site unfortunately.

In contrast, there were some shovey twats who kept slopping beer everywhere. So I had to move a lot.
They sang very well in Wales though I must say.

I've heard stories of Americans going to various concerts in Japan and nearly dying because the crowds were so intense.

Check out any bootleg out there and listen to the crowd after a song compared to European, Latin, or American crowds.

In Las Vegas during the Vertigo Tour. I was right at the front of the circle, at the rail. I had to go to the restroom and not only did everybody made space for me to get out but also everybody opened up to let me in again and back all the way to my spot in the front. How nice is that? Considering that everybody wants to go to the front:).

HyperU2,
You owe me a cookie then :D .

Oh yeah, forgot about the Boston crowd too. But I also remember how some fans got upset because some people were selected to go inside the heart first when the DVD was recorded. So in protest, they sat on the back (inside the heart). You can see some fans sitting down on the DVD.

that was the weirdest thing. I mean ya, they got screwed a little, but they were still in the heart. we were all thinking how silly it was to ruin the whole event for themselves. I was just thrilled to be in the heart (especially after all day on that black pavement).

Best in the world, according to the band (as I recall from the Propaganda compilation book) might be Mexico City or Buenos Aires. Barcelona's probably not far behind.

As for worst of the big cities, it might be LA. A friend who went to one of the Staples Vertigo shows said it felt more like a social status event than an actual concert.

Best crowds are people who don't block others' views with cameras or by waving their arms and are quite during the songs. They actually place the music ahead of the ego-centric desire to make their presence known.

Bad crowds are people who can't shut up and sing and scream and wave their arms and have no respect for others' equal right to enjoy the music in all its subtlety.

GoodPartIII,
Oh man! Can't wait! You even made it to the bomb shelter. What an experience. Not sure if my luck will get me all the way inside the circle but just seeing them in Dublin, Ireland, is all I am asking for so I'll make the trip this year.

Get there at around 8am, and run like hell when you get in the stadium, and you're fine ;D

Brazil, Ireland and Italy (Best)

No idea what's the worst. If I had to judge from the DVDs I would say Boston and Chicago...

I'm a little wary of the crowds at the D.C. shows this fall though...
dc crowds are teh suck. no energy whatsoever.

i saw the vertigo opening shows in san diego, and those crowds had mad energy. they got amped for just about every song, not just the hits, but also the rarer stuff like 'an cat dubh' and even some of the crappier songs off of htdaab. i chalk it up to all those mexicans there. that sounds hella racist, but i mean that it seems like central/south american audiences just have more energy and express it better.

actually, i'd love to see a show there.

Best crowds are people who don't block others' views with cameras or by waving their arms and are quite during the songs. They actually place the music ahead of the ego-centric desire to make their presence known.

Bad crowds are people who can't shut up and sing and scream and wave their arms and have no respect for others' equal right to enjoy the music in all its subtlety.

just a sea of :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| is your idea of a good concert I take it?

i saw the vertigo opening shows in san diego, and those crowds had mad energy. they got amped for just about every song, not just the hits, but also the rarer stuff like 'an cat dubh' and even some of the crappier songs off of htdaab.

The Latin influence is San Diego could have played a part, but the first (and last) shows on a tour/North American leg often get a huge number of hardcore fans coming in from all over. It would be interesting to see if San Diego crowds were just as rowdy at a show during the middle of the tour.

My personal experience has been that Pittsburgh crowds have been really awesome (I was in the heart on Elevation and in the stands behind the stage on Vertigo). New York and Chicago crowds are cool, too.

Isn't Montreal considered typically the best crowd of North America?

I would never want to see U2 in the deep-south (by deep south, I mean Alabama, Mississippi, Loozyana, Georgia, et cetera).

The best crowd by far was the New York crowd, followed by the Edmonton crowd. Vancouver and Portland were probably about the same and Calgary was without a doubt the worst crowd.

I thought the crowd in Calgary was terrible. By far the worst. Maybe the floor was better, but where I was, most people were sitting the entire show. I think I was the only one in my section on my feet the entire time -- exactly the kind of person that Muldfeld would hate. :D

All UK crowds are pretty lame and get very drunk and annoy everybody around them I'm afraid to say but as I can't afford a foreign trip then they will have to do for now. It seems to me that the people in the UK who go to U2 concerts are not real fans who know all the songs but people who just go to drink and to say that they have been to a U2 concert to impress their mates.

Waving your arms and screaming and singing would be extremely rude at a jazz or classical music concert, but at a rock concert??? And one by a band where the lead singer frequently ASKS the audience to join in and sing?

If I want to enjoy the subtlety of U2's music, I have CDs, a stereo system and headphones at home that I can use anytime I like.

In that case I would recommend her a show in Japan. Crowds pretty much clap at the end of a song as if they were watching a play. No pushing or getting rowdy.

Wrong.

U2 Tokyo in 2006 was intense, at least in the front rows. Constant pushing, shoving and angling to get two inches closer to the stage by all 3000 fans in the front GA section.

We were on the front rail all three nights, and I think I needed hip surgery afterwards.

Check out my videoclip - notice how shaky it is? That's because all those "bad" Japanese fans were busy jumping up and down (let the video load, then scroll to the end at 18:30 when they do "Vertigo" - I pan back towards the crowd so you can see what I'm talking about):

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/music/watch/v10877964HRP7AxDs

Best U2 crowd I've experienced was Edinburgh in August 1987 at Murrayfield.

Every single person there wore a U2 shirt of some sort, all the opening acts were booed (except for the Pogues), and then the entire crowd sang along to every word without pushing and shoving up front.

Worst U2 crowd was Monterrey, Mexico in 2006 - very quiet and reserved, even Bono made some comments about it from the stage, it was a bit embarrassing

Isn't Montreal considered typically the best crowd of North America?

I would never want to see U2 in the deep-south (by deep south, I mean Alabama, Mississippi, Loozyana, Georgia, et cetera).

Atlanta Vertigo show--crowd was not bad. Great show by the boys.

I stand happily corrected, I guess.

No prob, but by reading descriptions of the other venues, I am sure it is no comparison. I have only seen them in ATL (4 times) and then in Columbus, Ohio for Elevation. Would love to see them someplace else like Dublin or Milan or Mexico City. For Vertigo I had seats and was behind the stage :( so had more time to look around at other people and everybody was havin' a good time......

I agree. I saw both Montreal shows during the first leg of Elevation and the crowd was nuts. The first night they were so loud it was deafening, wall of noise kind of thing.

I remember seeing U2 in Montreal on the second leg of the tour and Bono went to the back of the stage during a song to check the decibel reading and said it was the loudest of the tour (he has a tendency to exaggerate but I saw 9 shows that tour and it took the cake!)

I could see them doing a DVD there some day :yes:

Wrong.

U2 Tokyo in 2006 was intense, at least in the front rows. Constant pushing, shoving and angling to get two inches closer to the stage by all 3000 fans in the front GA section.

We were on the front rail all three nights, and I think I needed hip surgery afterwards.

Check out my videoclip - notice how shaky it is? That's because all those "bad" Japanese fans were busy jumping up and down (let the video load, then scroll to the end at 18:30 when they do "Vertigo" - I pan back towards the crowd so you can see what I'm talking about):

U2 Tokyo 3 (Live) - Saitama Super Arena - December 4, 2006 | Free Videos - Watch Online Videos - Guide | Veoh

Best U2 crowd I've experienced was Edinburgh in August 1987 at Murrayfield.

Every single person there wore a U2 shirt of some sort, all the opening acts were booed (except for the Pogues), and then the entire crowd sang along to every word without pushing and shoving up front.

Worst U2 crowd was Monterrey, Mexico in 2006 - very quiet and reserved, even Bono made some comments about it from the stage, it was a bit embarrassing

you get around eh? :wink:

great vid :applaud:

So I take it you're going for seats? Because you'd hate GA.

The answer is obviously Montreal. Or, like, anywhere in South America because they're the really crazy motherfuckers.

Back
Top Bottom