Best way to get to Boston, and then NY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoz

War Child
I am going to the boston and new york shows. I live in DC. I was just wondering what the best and cheapest way of going to those places would be. I would think taking the acela would be a good route. What do you guys think?

I also have an extra ticket for the Charlottesville show, how can I get rid of it?

Many thanks

Unfortunately, the Boston show is not in Boston. Its about 30-40 minutes south of the city. So you'd still have to get from downtown Boston to Foxboro. And the New York show is actually across the river in New Jersey however you can get there by public transportation. If it was me, I'd drive, but its not me. Simply for the fact that Foxboro ain't in Boston.

Yes, the "Boston" show is quite removed with few (no?) public transport options. I went to Popmart at Foxboro but a friend drove. Getting to Boston (the city), I would take the train, although probably the regular Amtrak, not the Acela which is kinda expensive I think... From Boston to NYC, I'd take the bus - there are a number of cheap options (you don't actually need to go to NYC Chinatown either) that probably won't cost more than $25. It's easy and quick enough to get to Giants Stadium from midtown. From NYC back to DC could do bus or train, again the bus would be quite cheap. Bus lines include Megabus, Bolt, the Chinatown buses, and Greyhound/Peter Pan of course.

You can fly the Delta shuttle from BOS to NYC for about $100 or so. I think that might be cheaper than the Acela. However, you'd have to get to Logan and then from LGA to Jersey, so it may not save you any money.

Acela may not be the cheapest solution, unless you can redeem rewards from Amtrak guest rewards or something like that. There are many flights that you'll be able to catch from DC to Boston for cheaper than the Acela price. From Boston to NY it may not be a bad idea to catch the regional Amtrak train.

Like the others have said, the Gillette stadium show may be a bit tough for you to get to from Boston if you don't have a car. But it's not impossible. If you don't mind getting to the stadium late (that is you don't have a GA ticket and need to be there to line up early), Rockbus is an option. So get a hotel near the South Station in Boston, you'll be near the Amtrak station and the Rockbus depot.

Then coming down, you can take the Acela or Regional train to Penn station and catch the local service or bus to Meadowlands. Again, this is if you don't mind getting there late PM, because that seems to be the only public transportation option available (well, except for cabs).

Oops, I think I just saw that the Rockbus on 9/20 is sold out...

If there's a cheap Continental flight from Logan to Newark, that might be a good option.

Avoid NYC completely. Go over the Tap Bridge in Nanuet

SMB

I was thinking about this for my trip north. My GPS and Google map both recommended GW bridge and follow I-95 through NYC. I want to go up past Yonkers and go over the Tappan Zee. Does it matter what time of day you're traveling? Is there a good time to travel the GW instead of TZ?

I'm going up to Foxboro on Saturday morning, but I'm leaving extra time in my schedule just in case I hit New York traffic. I don't know the Tappen Zee Bridge way and I don't want to get lost. I'd rather just stay on 95 the whole way

I'd fly and rent cars fro the airports.

May not be the cheapest solution, but since the stadiums are outside the cities, you will still have to get there from wherever the train gets you in to.

Stay away from NYC.

Fly into Newark.

Well, if u are traveling at night, then going over the GW isn't bad. Then u hit up 91 in Hew Haven and 84 in Hartford, then 90 in MA then 495 to RT 1... Sounds complicated but easy. If you take 95 the whole way it adds time and gas. If you do go over the Tap, it's a cheaper toll. Not to mention there is store right off the interstate where you can buy Crunchies and Flakes :)

SMB

I was thinking about this for my trip north. My GPS and Google map both recommended GW bridge and follow I-95 through NYC. I want to go up past Yonkers and go over the Tappan Zee. Does it matter what time of day you're traveling? Is there a good time to travel the GW instead of TZ?

avoid the cross bronx at all costs.

i'd also avoid 95 thru CT and take the Hutch to the Merit to 91 to 84... if you're going back towards Boston that is.

long story short... 95 sucks. unless it's 2am.

I got a Delta Shuttle flight from Logan to JFK for around $65 one way (into LaGuardia was more expensive by around $40 bucks). Of course cabs to Logan and into NYC are probably gonna cost more than the damn flight when you add them all up so I probably would've spent the same if I'd just flown into LAG. But too late now!

I'm just going to take my chances going up on 95. I'm leaving at 8am to give myself extra time

Hutchinson River and Merritt Parkways. The Hutch runs from the Throgs Neck Bridge in the Bronx to the NY/CT state line, where it becomes (or connects to, not sure off the top of my head) the Merritt. Pretty much any highway in the Bronx is hellacious, so if you're driving, do avoid all of NYC and cross the Hudson at the Tappan Zee Bridge on I-87/287, about 20-30 miles north of the city. If, however, you take the train, there is actually a New Jersey Transit rail service to the Meadowlands that just started service a couple of months ago and will be running for U2. That might be an issue, though, if you have GA; it starts running 3 1/2 hours before the show. Hope this all helps!

If non- NYC locals have any transportation questions, I'd be happy to entertain them; I'm sort of a local and will be heading to the Sept. 24 show from the Bronx, rail all the way.
Thanks for the tips.
Sorry, I'm not local enough to know what "Hutch" and "Merit" are? :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom