Best Tour of the 2000's....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SBU2

War Child
Thought this would be an interesting thread. Im sure we can all agree through the 2000's u2 has changed dramatically in the way they go about shows, albums, appearance ect. So i was wondering, which of the 3 tours(even tho the 360 is far from over)has been the best, and why.

Elevation tour for me:
U2 back to basics with the stage, and getting that intimate feeling spot on. Streets was just breathtaking, along with the fly, UTEOTW, BD and Bad. Bono had never looked cooler, and the slane dvd just topped it all!

I like comparing finished products.

So between Elevation and Vertigo, it's tough Elevation was a great new concept but Vertigo had a much better in shape Bono(vocally). I call it a tie.

I definitely say Vertigo tour. Bono's voice was in great shape, Adam was actually leaving his bass amp, and the setlists were utterly unpredictable. In addition to the standards and new album regulars, we had;

An Cat Dubh
Into the heart
Out of Control
The Ocean
The Electric Co.
Gloria
Party Girl
Bad
MLK
Running to stand still
One tree hill
Mothers of the disapearred
Zoo Station
Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Love is Blindness (only one time, only half the song)
The First Time
Discotheque (twice)
Kite (awesome exended version)
Crumbs from your table (7 times)
Fast Cars
Window in the skies
The saints are coming

However, Elevation was an absolutely exciting era. It was socially acceptable to like U2 again. The intimacy of the arena shows was something I never thought I'd experience at a U2 show (especially 11,000 people in South Bend, Indiana, where I was). Plus, Bad or All I want is you --> Streets = greatest concert moment ever.

360... great show, nothing to complain about at all. However, just seems like a bigger version of Elevation and Vertigo.

Vertigo destroys both other 2000s tours, I don't even think it's a contest.

I definitely say Vertigo tour. Bono's voice was in great shape, Adam was actually leaving his bass amp, and the setlists were utterly unpredictable. In addition to the standards and new album regulars, we had;

An Cat Dubh
Into the heart
Out of Control
The Ocean
The Electric Co.
Gloria
Party Girl
Bad
MLK
Running to stand still
One tree hill
Mothers of the disapearred
Zoo Station
Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Love is Blindness (only one time, only half the song)
The First Time
Discotheque (twice)
Kite (awesome exended version)
Crumbs from your table (7 times)
Fast Cars
Window in the skies
The saints are coming

However, Elevation was an absolutely exciting era. It was socially acceptable to like U2 again. The intimacy of the arena shows was something I never thought I'd experience at a U2 show (especially 11,000 people in South Bend, Indiana, where I was). Plus, Bad or All I want is you --> Streets = greatest concert moment ever.

360... great show, nothing to complain about at all. However, just seems like a bigger version of Elevation and Vertigo.

but the second leg hasn't even ended yet....so that's totally unfair...we didn't even get songs like Kite until the very end of the tour....

HELLO HELLO, VERTIGO!!! By a long shot!

Firstly I really enjoyed HTDAAB, it got the band really fired up, every band member was rocking harder than they had in years, Adam really found his groove and began enjoying live performances again and it really added to the performance, Bono sounded great and the stage imo was the most impressive and well used out of the three!!! Also the setlist was incredible I really enjoyed U2 bringing back alot of tracks from there first few albums, and in the same vein as the album the band were playing more upbeat rock tunes, (The Fly, Zoo Station, Out Of Control, I Will Follow, Gloria, Electric Co (U2's fastest song!!!!) Wild Horses!!!)

it's amazing how four years ago everyone complained about vertigo's static setlists...i suppose now that it's been so long the whole tour can be properly put into perspective.

in four years' time everyone will talk about how amazing the 360 setlists were.

it's amazing how four years ago everyone complained about vertigo's static setlists...i suppose now that it's been so long the whole tour can be properly put into perspective.

Ayup, and whine about how the current tour's setlists suck balls.

:rolleyes:

Vertigo Tour was the best one, for reasons that were already mentioned. Followed by Elevation (first 2 legs anyway).

Well I wasn't on this forum during the Vertigo Tour, So I was not one of the complainers and even if I was I wouldn't have complained, The tour was mind blowing musically and visually, Yeah I guess the set list didn't change all that much, but I don't think it ever has on any U2 tour, They have never been that good at dialing up a song on the spot, I do think the root set list they had for the Vertigo tour was better than what they have now on the 360 tour,

I find the 360 tour's a bit slower in comparison for my tastes anyway, I really think some people on this forum would defend Bono/U2 to no end, even if he/they are in the right or wrong, and yeah I kinda get that approach they are four really great charismatic guys who have big hearts and really seem to genuinely care for there fans, and need I say are great musicians!

The set list as I said before is a bit dull (imo), I think the new tunes on this tour that the band regard to be big giant live rockers like "Breathe" & "NLOTH" fall a bit flat, where as on the last tour the big songs really did take off live especially "Vertigo" which is a song I didn't like too much on the album because I found it to be a bit basic and ordinary for a special band like U2, but hearing it live I seen the reason why it had been written, Tunes such as "Love & Peace or Else" & "All Because Of You" really took off live too, I am a big fan of the new album aswell but I don't think it has been working as good live so far as HTDAAB did, Also as I said before I find the encore very short and slow, Ultra Violet is obiviouly great and I'm so thankfull it is back in the set after all these years longing for it, but then lets face it "With Or Without" (an amazing song, one of U2's all time classics), but live on this tour it has never sounded worse! Bono's vocals are terrible imo for it now, I think it could do with a welcome break from the set, the current way it is been performed I don't think it would be missed, well it may be by the type of people who hear a song they know and start screaming and jumping and saying oh my God its WOWY, but don't pay any attention to the performance, and would be very happy even if Bono was slurring the lyrics and painfully dragging them out, For a finish I don't perticulary like MOS, great song but I think it would be better coming mid-set like RTSS on the Vertigo Tour,

Just My opinions as always,

hmm difficult to compare.

I vote Elevation Tour, by far! that is because of the indoor-atmosphere and the very good sound quality.
Furthermore, streets was magnificient here!! the red lights and white flashlights. bono running around the stage and everybody in the house jumping up and down... And not to forget 'Gone'

I think that in essence 360 should win by far. However the bad sound quality in the stadium ruined it.

i just hope that there are some good arguments with name calling in this thread. hopefully page 2 or 3?

If you want, I'll talk about it right now:

Your Blue Room
The Unforgettable Fire
Ultraviolet

They beat the hell out of any rarity played on the Vertigo tour (except for Electric Co., which is just as good. I don't care if they're static, I just want them to be good - and the 360 sets are the closest U2 has ever come to my dream setlists.

that's perfect. i really hope a couple members come in this thread and try to rip on people for their age too.

Well I wasn't on this forum during the Vertigo Tour, So I was not one of the complainers and even if I was I wouldn't have complained, The tour was mind blowing musically and visually, Yeah I guess the set list didn't change all that much, but I don't think it ever has on any U2 tour, They have never been that good at dialing up a song on the spot, I do think the root set list they had for the Vertigo tour was better than what they have now on the 360 tour,

I find the 360 tour's a bit slower in comparison for my tastes anyway, I really think some people on this forum would defend Bono/U2 to no end, even if he/they are in the right or wrong, and yeah I kinda get that approach they are four really great charismatic guys who have big hearts and really seem to genuinely care for there fans, and need I say are great musicians!

The set list as I said before is a bit dull (imo), I think the new tunes on this tour that the band regard to be big giant live rockers like "Breathe" & "NLOTH" fall a bit flat, where as on the last tour the big songs really did take off live especially "Vertigo" which is a song I didn't like too much on the album because I found it to be a bit basic and ordinary for a special band like U2, but hearing it live I seen the reason why it had been written, Tunes such as "Love & Peace or Else" & "All Because Of You" really took off live too, I am a big fan of the new album aswell but I don't think it has been working as good live so far as HTDAAB did, Also as I said before I find the encore very short and slow, Ultra Violet is obiviouly great and I'm so thankfull it is back in the set after all these years longing for it, but then lets face it "With Or Without" (an amazing song, one of U2's all time classics), but live on this tour it has never sounded worse! Bono's vocals are terrible imo for it now, I think it could do with a welcome break from the set, the current way it is been performed I don't think it would be missed, well it may be by the type of people who hear a song they know and start screaming and jumping and saying oh my God its WOWY, but don't pay any attention to the performance, and would be very happy even if Bono was slurring the lyrics and painfully dragging them out, For a finish I don't perticulary like MOS, great song but I think it would be better coming mid-set like RTSS on the Vertigo Tour,

Just My opinions as always,

Its down to the whole concept or style of NLOTH. Remember, Bomb was filled with hard rocking songs, it came across as a really rocky alive u2 album. Every album they make cant be like that, and NLOTH is an example. NLOTH is filled with more emotional intimate songs, aswell as the rockers, tells a whole story in some way i guess, and to get that across live is hard, especially in a stadium because its difficult to get that intimate feeling. I mean look at ATYCLB, most of the songs were mid tempo, and focused more on the lyrical side, so they did an arena tour to get close up, as the album was all about that. Imo if u2 are going to tour with an album like NLOTH, they should of done arenas. If this was the case, and they went forward with arenas, then it would give them the chance to play more songs like WAS, COL and MOS would of come across alot better. But seening they have gone with stadiums, and a massive stage read to explode, they should add in SUC, and songs like The Fly, Electric Co, I will follow!

that's perfect. i really hope a couple members come in this thread and try to rip on people for their age too.
To which ZOOTV show did yo go? (I won't believe you anyway)
How old were you then? (same)

If you want, I'll talk about it right now:

Your Blue Room
The Unforgettable Fire
Ultraviolet

They beat the hell out of any rarity played on the Vertigo tour (except for Electric Co., which is just as good. I don't care if they're static, I just want them to be good - and the 360 sets are the closest U2 has ever come to my dream setlists.
:up: :up: :up:

Back
Top Bottom