Article Suggest Infighting with the Band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How could there be any fighting?

The stage setup is probably the best in rock concert history. The crowds are humongous. The band's energy is on fire. The tour is a huge success so far.

Bono's constant smooching with band members is a clear sign he has to make up for fighting before the show.

:wink:

Just joking. I don't believe there were any fights that were out of the ordinary.

U2 Unravel In Croke Park Green Room
By Alan Smithee
AP Entertainment Schmuck

DUBLIN (AP) -- U2 members seem to be at wits end with each other on a night of grandiose spectacle. Bono and company come to play home to over 80,000 exhilarated fans from across the world, but to the dismay of several (including me) in the crowd, there appears to be dissention brewing within the inner circles of U2 Co.

As the house music comes to a close, and an unfamiliar semblance of a U2 song is played over the PA system, comes walking onto the stage Larry Mullen Jr., alone, stark, with a characteristic unhappy expression. Apparently he bolted from the Croke Park underworld that is the U2 360 Tour Green Room, where the band typically huddles. Could this be the end?

As yet unavailable for comment, Paul McGuinness, manager of U2, seems to be in hiding. Yet, another bloke by the moniker 'Friday' tells me on the aside to piss off.

I believe this is poor journalistic writing. In short, I believe the writer was trying to say that, because of the tax issues and NLOTH's artistic approach, there is in-fighting within the greater U2-family (which means the band, the fans, and Ireland). But because of a missing connection, the article appears to suggest that there is in-fighting between band members. To my eyes, this is not like the situation when Larry suggested that the band should make a Pop album (which turned out to be ATYCLB) instead of calling an album "Pop."

If the writer was a politician, we'd be hearing a clarification shortly... :sexywink:

I think this is the article in reference...if not oh well.
From the Irish Independent

Bono and the boys silence doubters with hot show

BELIEVE the hype. Choose joy.

The questions were asked of U2, and they were answered in pretty spectacular fashion at Croke Park last night. Magnificent, if you must.

"I surrender," Bono told the masses as he walked along the outer circle of the famous stage, arms outstretched, wallowing in the adulation early in the evening. He had, in fact, already won us over.

And that was before this stage truly came to life, helping to take the gig to another level entirely after the sun had set. Indeed, starting an hour later may have been advisable. "Look at yourselves," he implored the 80,000.

"Smart, sexy -- in our own way -- undefeatable. Undefeatable."

It takes one to know one, Mr Hewson.

These guys have been under pressure in recent times. The self-styled 'biggest band on the planet' has been struggling, relatively-speaking. They are hardly flavour of the month here in Ireland, partly because of their tax affairs, partly because of our suspicion of success, and partly because, like everything else, they were better in the old days. It meant they didn't sell out 240,000 tickets for Croke Park in an instant. There are suggestions of in-fighting. The latest album was coolly received both here and abroad. The latest tour has had mixed reviews, with one of the shows in Amsterdam earlier this week getting panned by critics and fans alike.

Never mind getting on their boots, perhaps it was time for this lot to hang theirs up?

And so U2 -- one of our biggest success stories -- were left in the slightly-surreal situation of having to prove themselves again. And to their own, and in their own backyard. We should never have doubted them. On this stage there are few who can live with them. We were a little ashamed of ourselves. But we got over it. "I wasn't too sure at the start because I don't have the new album," Alison Crowe said. "But it was good, and then, of course, it just got so much better."

Not surprisingly, the architect was Bono. While apologising to the local residents for the din, four or five songs in, he got to reminiscing. "For all our guests from outta town, and there's a lot of you, this neighbourhood is very emblematic," he said. "It has great doctors and nurses, it has the inmates of Mountjoy prison, and they are all probably listening right now. But it also has the Royal Canal."

Dedicated

Cue a rendition of 'The Auld Triangle' dedicated to Ronnie Drew and the mood changed noticeably. After that it was a simply blistering set. At least from the Hogan Stand it was. From the 'pit', it must have been out of this world.

Many of the fans delayed their arrival at Croker to grab a sneaky last pint before piling into the ground, some taking their places after the band had emerged on to the stage shortly before 9pm.

In truth, those who missed the first four songs won't be kicking themselves too much. Not least because alcohol wasn't an option while inside, but also because it was with 'Beautiful Day' that this gig truly began as the sun set and 'the Claw' came to life.

And it was impressive, although it would obviously have been so much better if fully 'in the round', as we had been promised, but which Croke Park can't deliver.

"Hill 16 is right behind you," as Bono sang later referring to the "rubble of revolution". A pity it was empty, and one of the few disappointments of the night. We ploughed on bravely, however, with the first chords of 'Desire' finally getting those in the seats bouncing freely, rolling back the years while looking at the future. Stadium rock, indeed, with all the pomp and ceremony you could hope for but which we take a little for granted with these guys. It was on an upward trajectory from then until the end. And those who may have been cursing the lack of a pint last night will be glad of the memories they have this morning instead.

Bono kept the preaching to a minimum. He could probably feel the love because of it. But, paradoxically, we wouldn't like it if he ignored the activism completely, and thousands donned a face mask -- inserted in the concert programme -- of Burmese freedom fighter Aung San Suu Kyi.

Hey, we're a tough crowd. But U2 played us expertly. Bono spoke during the week about the "joy" that's inherent in U2's music. Last night was a joy. "This is where we live, we love it," Bono said. "We can criticise our own but anyone else..."

He made a gun sign with his finger and thumb. Call off the assassins.

Bono and the boys silence doubters with hot show - Music, Entertainment - Independent.ie

MT Edge, why would you think the writer is referring to tax issues or the artistic direction of the album? Neither are mentioned.

MT Edge, why would you think the writer is referring to tax issues or the artistic direction of the album? Neither are mentioned.

Yes, they are:

They are hardly flavour of the month here in Ireland, partly because of their tax affairs, partly because of our suspicion of success, and partly because, like everything else, they were better in the old days. It meant they didn't sell out 240,000 tickets for Croke Park in an instant. There are suggestions of in-fighting. The latest album was coolly received both here and abroad. The latest tour has had mixed reviews, with one of the shows in Amsterdam earlier this week getting panned by critics and fans alike.

1: Does anyone genuinely care about the tax thing? It's a business issue, not a musical one. And U2 have a management team for their business - I wouldn't be surprised if they simply approved the tax move. Isn't it the management's job to actually run the business while U2 are making and promoting the one thing which actually matters - the music?

2: The album is getting generally GOOD reviews - I read every review I could find of it, and the worst reviews said it was "a reasonably good album". The only people who panned it were people who regard every album after the Joshua Tree as crap and "not U2".

3: Where was the amsterdam show panned? All I've found are people saying it was epically epic... The video clips I saw of it were incredible. Was there a major screwup during one of those shows? There doesn't seem to be in any of the bootlegs...

U2 Unravel In Croke Park Green Room
By Alan Smithee
AP Entertainment Schmuck

DUBLIN (AP) -- U2 members seem to be at wits end with each other on a night of grandiose spectacle. Bono and company come to play home to over 80,000 exhilarated fans from across the world, but to the dismay of several (including me) in the crowd, there appears to be dissention brewing within the inner circles of U2 Co.

As the house music comes to a close, and an unfamiliar semblance of a U2 song is played over the PA system, comes walking onto the stage Larry Mullen Jr., alone, stark, with a characteristic unhappy expression. Apparently he bolted from the Croke Park underworld that is the U2 360 Tour Green Room, where the band typically huddles. Could this be the end?

As yet unavailable for comment, Paul McGuinness, manager of U2, seems to be in hiding. Yet, another bloke by the moniker 'Friday' tells me on the aside to piss off.

Haha love it, especially the Alan Smithee reference.

I dunno about in-fighting, but on Monday when Bono told the lads to play Bad, and then told Edge to stop playing so he could sing a bit of 40, man Edge did NOT look happy, and at the end of the song he was kinda just standing there, look on his face like he was thinking "What a bollocks..."

Actually, I don't know about anyone else, but did it seem that Edge wasn't exactly in the best of moods on Monday? Seemed like he hardly cracked a smile all night... :(

I dunno about in-fighting, but on Monday when Bono told the lads to play Bad, and then told Edge to stop playing so he could sing a bit of 40, man Edge did NOT look happy, and at the end of the song he was kinda just standing there, look on his face like he was thinking "What a bollocks..."

Can you point out the time when that happens? The video's from pretty far away but we might still be able to see it...

YouTube - U2 Dublin 2009-07-27 Bad

If there is infighting, maybe they'll put out another Achtung Baby! Close friendships are bound to have disagreements and infighting... I'd be worried if they didn't.. It's healthy and natural. It's only bad when egos get in the way, and there is no one in that band that has a huge ego..

Haha love it, especially the Alan Smithee reference.

Actually, I don't know about anyone else, but did it seem that Edge wasn't exactly in the best of moods on Monday? Seemed like he hardly cracked a smile all night... :(

maybe he was just concentrating, keeping an eye on things so as to keep up with B improvising, and wondering what the hell he was gonna spring on him next... whilst thinking "What a bollocks..." lmfao ;)

If there is infighting, maybe they'll put out another Achtung Baby! Close friendships are bound to have disagreements and infighting... I'd be worried if they didn't.. It's healthy and natural. It's only bad when egos get in the way, and there is no one in that band that has a huge ego..

"and there is no one in that band that has a huge ego"

what the what?!? haha :D

I think the point here is that they ALL have large egos, and that, rather than problems residing on one big ego, and 3 small ones, ego-related issues are relative to the individual egos of the members IE, an ego that rate 7.0 on the egometer can live hamoniously with other ego's within a standard deviation of .5 egos. Bono's ego is somewhere around a 9.5, however, do to success, money etc, the bands collective ago has achieved parity on the egometer, allowing the band to achieve an equillibrium of egos, and thus keep creating music worthy of said egos.

I think...

I think the point here is that they ALL have large egos, and that, rather than problems residing on one big ego, and 3 small ones, ego-related issues are relative to the individual egos of the members IE, an ego that rate 7.0 on the egometer can live hamoniously with other ego's within a standard deviation of .5 egos. Bono's ego is somewhere around a 9.5, however, do to success, money etc, the bands collective ago has achieved parity on the egometer, allowing the band to achieve an equillibrium of egos, and thus keep creating music worthy of said egos.

I think...

I thought I read in some interview somewhere, that Bono or one of them said there is no one ego that is bigger than the sum of all their egos or something... There are no Sting/Police egos in U2 I don't think haha

I would interpret the 'infighting' comment as a reference to Larry Mullen's comments on Bono fraternising with people Mullen considers to be war criminals.

I would interpret the 'infighting' comment as a reference to Larry Mullen's comments on Bono fraternising with people Mullen considers to be war criminals.

In the lead up to Barcelona there was a indepth article(Irish?) that had McGuiness call Larry "the squeaky wheel of the group". To me that stuck out like a sore thumb the moment I read it.

BTW, wasn't there seperate dressing rooms near the end of the ZOOTV tour?

Back
Top Bottom