Are U2 any good live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen u2 indoor on The UF Tour, JT and Elevation Tours. Saw them in a stadium on JT Tour, Zoo Tv, Popmart, Vertigo and 360 tours. For my money.....Stadiums are a far better vibe/gig/all round experience. The U2 sound is too big for indoor venues.
Bottom line tho....al take them any which way they come!

Here Here! :up:

If it was based on Wembley 1, then no! But Wembley 2 blew anything they have done for years out of the water :drool:

Wembley 1 was a mess with the sound and the roof closed behind the stage, the sound didn't like that too much. But Wembley 2, roof completely open and technical issues Ironed out, they blew the roof off! Well they would have done if it was there :lol:

A freind went with me Friday, won't rush to see them again :sad: BUT someone at work, her freind went to see them Saturday, never seen them before, she is now hooked on U2! Said it was the best concert she had EVER been to :cute:

If it was based on Wembley 1, then no! But Wembley 2 blew anything they have done for years out of the water :drool:

Wembley 1 was a mess with the sound and the roof closed behind the stage, the sound didn't like that too much. But Wembley 2, roof completely open and technical issues Ironed out, they blew the roof off! Well they would have done if it was there :lol:

A freind went with me Friday, won't rush to see them again :sad: BUT someone at work, her freind went to see them Saturday, never seen them before, she is now hooked on U2! Said it was the best concert she had EVER been to :cute:

But these sound problems aren't U2's fault. What does this have to do with them being a good or not so good live band?

But these sound problems aren't U2's fault. What does this have to do with them being a good or not so good live band?

I Know that, YOU know that. But some people.............. :doh:

I couldn't care less, I was seeing my boys :hyper: :love: BUT, it was sad someone never saw them at their best, which was beyond their control :sad:

I have been to every u2 show you mention and was also at the Brucie gig a month ago or whatever. While I agree Bruce was brilliant...the whole u2 experience is far superior. Even the crowd were better at u2. They were awsome. Theres even a reference to that on u2.com.
My mate....who was laso at the u2 shows you mention, as well as the recent Boss gig....well he rates 360 as the best gig he ever been to.

Bruce was entirely natural letting his music entertain even taking requests, where as U2 are rigid relying too much on their fancy stage and lights.

Remember... U2 to this day don't look back at the JT Tour very happily...

Wha-...? I mean... Well *splutter*
I mean...
WHAT?!

The Joshua Tree gigs I've seen videos of are the most stunning live U2 recordings - no, make that the most stunning live recordings of any band. What about Rattle & Hum (the movie?) Noone could deny that the performances contained in it are nothing short of epically spectacular...

How dare they, right? They consulted with me...:shrug:

Really? And it's the weakest you've seen? I have a hard time believing that... MOS alone is worth it then paired with UV :drool:

I thought I could retort in the same way . . . likewise. This is a forum after all, isn't it about opinions?

The weakest encore I've ever seen? More or less.

I've seen 2 U2 stadium shows, one from the far reaches (Popmart SLC-Fantastic!) of the stands, and one at the back of the inside of the ellipse (Vertigo Closer Hawaii), and they were both great shows and I loved looking around at the HUGE audience. Stadium shows are very cool IMHO.

Well I have been to one stadium show Popmart my first U2 concert ever..and I must say even though I was on the ground far back...I enjoyed the show ..although like many of you a stadium wouldn't be my first choice for seeing the band..but it has to be done..so I went for GA..which I hope this time I am a lot closer..
And of course U2 rock live!!!..I have seen them five times now and haven't been disappointed yet! :applaud: Toronto will be number 6&7 :yippie:

I thought I could retort in the same way . . . likewise. This is a forum after all, isn't it about opinions?

The weakest encore I've ever seen? More or less.

Come on now, don't start taking this too seriously... it is the internet after all. :wink:

To each it's own...

U2 are without doubt a fantastic live band. Most of their songs played live sound so much better than the studio versions. The first time you see U2 live is an unforgettable experience.

However, after seeing them at Croke Park during the Vertigo Tour in 2005, I decided I probably wouldn't go and seem them again for the following reasons

1. I could have predicted the setlist almost to a song before they went on stage.

2. Related to 1, their live gigs are becoming increasingly choreograophed.

3. Live gigs outdoors in northern Europe in June/July don't the same atmosphere as when it's dark. That Vertigo gig only took off imo when it got dark and the Achtung Baby songs were played.

4. Going to a U2 gig had become almost anti-climactic, compared to the thrill of seeing them for the first time.

5. The average U2 concert goer doesn't know a good portion of the songs. It doesn't help the atmosphere. They just stand around. U2 have to cater to the average fan and hence play too many songs that they should have dropped off their setlist years ago and not enough less well known songs.

I haven't seen them on the 360 tour yet, though I may change my mind and go and see them in Europe next summer. I would love to see them in somewhere like Italy, Spain or Argentina where the crowd is probably more passionate. I've only seen them in Ireland and Germany.

4. Going to a U2 gig had become almost anti-climactic, compared to the thrill of seeing them for the first time.

5. The average U2 concert goer doesn't know a good portion of the songs. It doesn't help the atmosphere. They just stand around. U2 have to cater to the average fan and hence play too many songs that they should have dropped off their setlist years ago and not enough less well known songs.

4. I was at 6 concerts this summer and at least from my point of view I can tell you that I haven't felt anything like this. I was still excited for the very last concert I went to, as much as for the first show and enjoyed it. And I am usually someone who is against people going to too many shows and complain about "static" setlists afterwards. Right now I wish I could see one or two more shows. I certainly don't want to see too many shows because I don't want the excitement and magic to go away. But the number of shows I've seen were great and I wouldn't want to miss one single show.

But my advice would be: Go to see more than 1 show, I know for sure that I would heavily regret NOT going to more than 1 show, but don't spoil it for yourself by going to 25 shows. U2 don't play for these diehard fans who go to so many shows.

For me, it's also about much more than just being at the actual show, it's about the whole atmosphere in a city where U2 are playing, that made me almost as happy as seeing the boys on stage. It's about meeting people, about the overall excitement before the show starts, and also about the little things and surprises that happen during a show and that no one can predict.

5. Now that's a contradiction. I realised a lot of "casual" fans don't know the new songs, but, of course, know the classics. It's like that with every band or artist, not just U2. It also depends where in the audience you're standing. For this tour, I thought seats could be really great to see all of the claw and stage, but on the downside, the atmosphere isn't great because the stands are usually full off casual concert goers who don't know much newer or rarer U2 material. When you are doing GA and are in the pit or close to the stage, it's certainly different. At every concert I've been do where I was standing in front of the stage, everyone was singing and jumping to the new stuff as well.

But with your point 5, which I certainly agree with, you have basically explained why U2 have to play some of the "classics" as well, otherwise playing a stadium audience wouldn't make much sense. Most big acts have to play a certain amount of well known songs. And I can honestly say that even their old songs, maybe with the exception of WOWY, sound really good this tour, and I had been very doubtful about that before the tour started.

I would say after attending the 360 Hampden gig it was the best U2 show I've seen. However they will never be 5 star performers in my opinion. After spending 90 pounds for a two hour performance I don't feel it was value for money but I can understand the costs as I doubt there has ever been a bigger stage. U2 have always went for technology i.e. stage and lights in a big way which is fine if they are used as seasoning like salt and pepper but the balance for me has always shifted too much emphasis on technology rather than the most important thing –the music!

To compare I recently saw Bruce Springsteen at Hampden -60 pounds. All very basic lights, stage etc. The show lasted 3 hours straight without Bruce leaving the stage and it was one of the best gigs I have been to in my entire life. I left walking on air.

U2 should go back to basics for me. U2’s encore has to be the weakest I’ve seen. This will be my last U2 gig. I will stay a fan of sort, buy the next album or DVD.

Right. As I said already, you look like you were pretty much 3 or 4 rows in front of me. I paid £30 for my ticket. £30. You my friend, were unfortunate to pay that much. I dont know how or why you did, but you did.

For me? £30 will never get me that sort of enjoyment again. And I was fucking ecstatic with the Ultraviolet encore. The only problem I had was that it ended at all.

The lights and effects arnt just to make it pretty, the big ass screen is so people at the back can get a look in instead of squinting at lego-sized U2. I think thats quite considerate personally. As was the stage layout.

isn't it the true sign of a die-hard fan that you really haven't wanted to see them for 10 years, but are still going?

Wha-...? I mean... Well *splutter*
I mean...
WHAT?!

The Joshua Tree gigs I've seen videos of are the most stunning live U2 recordings - no, make that the most stunning live recordings of any band. What about Rattle & Hum (the movie?) Noone could deny that the performances contained in it are nothing short of epically spectacular...

Well said! :up: My very first U2 show ever was at the very back of the CNE stadium in Toronto and the power and beauty of that concert changed my life!!! Epically spectacular indeed! :yes:

For me, it's also about much more than just being at the actual show, it's about the whole atmosphere in a city where U2 are playing, that made me almost as happy as seeing the boys on stage. It's about meeting people, about the overall excitement before the show starts, and also about the little things and surprises that happen during a show and that no one can predict.

Couldn't agree more with this too!

Right. As I said already, you look like you were pretty much 3 or 4 rows in front of me. I paid £30 for my ticket. £30. You my friend, were unfortunate to pay that much. I dont know how or why you did, but you did.

For me? £30 will never get me that sort of enjoyment again. And I was fucking ecstatic with the Ultraviolet encore. The only problem I had was that it ended at all.

The lights and effects arnt just to make it pretty, the big ass screen is so people at the back can get a look in instead of squinting at lego-sized U2. I think thats quite considerate personally. As was the stage layout.

This was just a link I found on youtube . . . I didn't film it.

As far as the stage is concerned it has to be the biggest production to date. However I feel that whole 360 theme is misleading. I've seen shows in the round, this is not in the round. Merely a stage with no back which is done all the time in large areanas. The large production masks the bands personality and that is a turn off for me. Like I said before production is good as an added effect but U2 have it as the main one. That's a shame as it should be about the music. In fact I just watched Pink Floyd live at Earls Court last night, (on DVD) they like their large production too but they are very clever with it. The production compliments the music, it doesn't overtake it.

Coolian my good friend relax!!

Erm..why would anyone pay money and go to a concert with the intention of not enjoying it?
If I do go to a concert next year, I would like to enjoy it, but I won't know til I'm actually there at the show if I enjoy it or not. Follow my logic? I'll decide for myself though if I want to go - thanks.

U2 are at their peak at the moment. The band is these days ridiculously good on stage. Bono is singing like he has never done before. I was so impressed with the Sheffield gig. His problems with his voice are totally gone. The first three songs they play (Breath, No line and Boots) are like something I never heard of them before. Real Punkrock. And the live Crazy Tonight version should have been the album version. So cool.

Back
Top Bottom