Anyone else surprised by the amount of tickets needing new owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess depends how you look at it, they played 7 shows in Boston during Vertigo so that's a capacity of about 119,000 vs. 144,000 for U2 360 so looking at it that way it's not even double but only about 1/5th more capacity than Vertigo.

Thats true, but its not as simple as that. The greater the number of shows, the larger the number of people that

a. Will be able to at least attend one show
b. Will be able to go to more than one show

To put it another, lets say there was just one show at the stadium and 119,000 people were going, compared to Vertigo where there was 7 shows over several months in which a total of 119,000 tickets are sold.

Which is more impressive, to sell 119,000 tickets for one show, or to sell that many tickets over 7 shows.

It is much more challenging and difficult to achieve a higher number of attendance with just one or two shows. Playing multiple smaller shows, allows hardcore fans to take up more tickets to each show, displacing people who would normally only attend one show. Further, people who would not be able to attend the week in which one or two stadium shows were played, have much more options to attend at least one show when 7 are put up for sell over a period of several months.

It is easier to sellout 7 shows over several months who's combined capacity is 119,000 than it is to sellout one or two shows during one week with a total capacity of 119,000 or more.

An artist that can't sellout a 45,000 seat stadium may be able to sellout 3 shows in a nearby arena with a capacity of 15,000. This is because there are people that will go to more than one show, and other people who wil be able to go to at least one of the three shows, but would not have been able to go the particular night of a single larger stadium show.

Boston 2 has 5400+ tickets for sale on stubhub alone - a much higher proportion than other big cities. Many are below face value, so those buyers would be better off using a reseller.

They may be better off using a reseller, but most of the general public still tends to purchase tickets from the boxoffice provided that tickets are not soldout. Its only when tickets are not available from the boxoffice that SOME of the general public starts to look into other ways of obtaining a ticket. The more hardcore fans and regular concert goers naturally will snap up a good deal when they see it but they make up a much smaller percentage of the total number of people attending and nearly all of them got what they wanted long ago.

On the Vertigo Tour in 2005, there were several thousand tickets available for Denver's two shows, with prices as low as $20 dollars. Other big tours have seen the same thing happen in various markets for resellers. Not a big deal provided the band soldout or sold most of the tickets available at the boxoffice. In fact, its a good sign which shows that the band has met demand in the market, and makes it easier for people who are looking to buy tickets at the last minute.

In North America, there were only 4 cities on this leg that got multiple shows, Chicago, Toronto, Boston, and New York. Chicago only has 65,000 tickets per show and is the start of the North America Tour, less tickets and the fact that its where the North American leg is starting is why its has less tickets available for resell. I think Toronto is only 60,000 per show.

In fact, U2 will play to more people and make more money with their Boston shows, than any of the other markets in North America with the exception of New York City.

They are playing to roughly the same number of people they played to in Boston on the Joshua Tree Tour, and the ZOO TV Tour, with just two shows on 360 which is very impressive.

Also, the first show which soldout at 72,000 is the largest concert in the history of the Boston metro area. U2 will be setting the GROSS and ATTENDANCE record for Gillette Stadium with their two shows.

I just unloaded a couple of Chicago I tickets. There's no buzz for this tour outside the world of U2 fandom. I mean the new album has no appeal to anyone NOT already a fan, there's no radio interest (like there has usually been for U2), the economy doesn't help; I think that with the exception of the new fans that got on board for HTDAAB and ATYCLB, this will generate about the same amount of excitement (and attendance) as Popmart did in the U.S. Large stage or not. The band has chosen to do a massive tour on a weak album. Shoulda stuck with arenas. They need to shift gears and either start making the kind of albums they're capable of, or just start doing jukebox tours... like the Stones.

Not true at all. Here are some basic facts about album sales this year you need to consider first:

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 36

1. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,385,000
2. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,295,000
3. Michael Jackson Thriller 2,635,000
4. Eminem Relapse 2,608,000
5. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 2,585,000
6. Michael Jackson Number Ones 2,439,000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,413,000
8. soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,320,000
9. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,306,000
10. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 2,183,000
11. The Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2,159,000
12. Michael Jackson The Essential 2,037,000
13. soundtrack Twilight 1,980,000
14. Pink Funhouse 1,875,000
15. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,770,000

The album is doing fantastic! Its the 2nd biggest selling album of the year!

The tour is on track to be the highest attended and highest grossing tour in history. This tour will be U2's biggest money maker ever. The first 24 shows have already made it the 2nd highest grossing tour U2 have ever done, and there are still 75+ shows to go through 2010.

Check out the number of records they are setting in various markets:

U2 360 TOUR

1ST LEG EUROPE

June 30, July 2, 2009
Barcelona, Spain
Camp Nou
GROSS: $19,825,497 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 182,055 (RECORD)
SHOWS: 2
SELLOUTS: 2
Average Ticket Price: $108.90

July 7-8, 2009
Milan, Italy
Stadio San Siro
GROSS: $15,168,799 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 153,806 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $98.62

July 11-12, 2009
Paris, France
Stade De France
GROSS: $20,902,760 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 186,544 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $112.05

July 15, 2009
Nice, France
Stade Charles Erhmann, Nice
GROSS: $6,261,208 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 55,641 (RECORD)
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS :1
Average Ticket Price: $112.53

July 18, 2009
Berlin, Germany
Olympic Stadium
GROSS: $9,169,830 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 88,265 (RECORD)
SHOWS :1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $103.89

July 20-21, 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Amsterdam Arena
GROSS: $12,583,998
ATTENDANCE: 125,866
Average Ticket Price: $99.98

July 24-25, 27, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Croke Park
GROSS: $28,815,352 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 243,198
SHOWS: 3
SELLOUTS: 3
Average Ticket Price: $118.49

July 31 - August 1, 2009
Goteborg, Sweden
Ullevi Stadion
GROSS: $11,047,995
ATTENDANCE: 119,297
Average Ticket Price: $92.61

August 3, 2009
Gelsenkirchen, Germany
Veltins-Arena
GROSS: $7,292,826 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 73,704 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $98.95

August 6, 2009
Chorzow, Poland
Slaski Stadium
GROSS: $6,414,960 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 75,180 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $85.33

August 9-10, 2009
Zagreb, Croatia
Maksimir Stadium
GROSS: $12,700,784 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 124,012 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $102.42

August 14-15, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Wembley Stadium
GROSS: $20,680,860
ATTENDANCE: 164,244
Average Ticket Price: $125.92

August 18, 2009
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Hampden Park
GROSS: $5,290,103
ATTENDANCE: 50,917
Average Ticket Price: $103.90

August 20, 2009
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Don Valley Stadium
GROSS: $5,147,896
ATTENDANCE: 49,955
Average Ticket Price: $103.05

August 22, 2009
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Millennium Stadium
GROSS: $7,041,576 (RECORD)
ATTENDANCE: 66,538 (RECORD)
Average Ticket Price: $105.83

U2 360 TOUR: 1ST LEG EUROPE STATS

GROSS: $188,344,444
ATTENDANCE: 1,759,222
Average Gross: $7,847,685
Average Attendance: 73,301
Average Ticket Price: $107.06
Shows: 24
Sellouts: 24

Huge numbers for the first 24 shows of the tour!

24 hours after a GA ticket drop for Foxboro 2, there are still tickets available. 4 years ago, that would not have happened. I think it has a lot to do with the economy.

For all 7 shows in Boston on the Vertigo tour, there were only a combined 14,000 tickets available. With JUST two shows in Boston this time, there are 30,000 GA tickets that were put on sale. One Boston show at the stadium can take roughly 15,000 in the GA area, while one arena show can only handle 2,000 GA.

So, I'd say this has more to do with the much larger number of GA tickets available at one time as opposed to economic conditions.

You are correct!

It's a shame when the band that once opened for you eclipses you. But U2 did that to the J.Geils band.

What goes around...

6th post!!!!!

Actually, U2 got a nice reception, but thats it. They almost did not have enough money to pay for plane tickets to get back to Dublin when the tour was finished in the Spring of 1982 with J.Geils. Paul McGuinness payed for the plane tickets and when he got back to Dublin was unable to pay his Credit Card Bill. Those were hard times for U2.

U2 did not surpass the J.Geils band in popularity until the Unforgettable Fire Tour.

Is that actually true? I had no idea it was selling that well world wide. Where can we see these figures?

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 36

1. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,385,000
2. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,295,000
3. Michael Jackson Thriller 2,635,000
4. Eminem Relapse 2,608,000
5. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 2,585,000
6. Michael Jackson Number Ones 2,439,000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,413,000
8. soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,320,000
9. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,306,000
10. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 2,183,000
11. The Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2,159,000
12. Michael Jackson The Essential 2,037,000
13. soundtrack Twilight 1,980,000
14. Pink Funhouse 1,875,000
15. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,770,000

Band is going to play to some half and 3/4 stadiums....
:love:

They may not sellout those markets, but I predict they have a strong chance of setting the attendance record in each stadium for a concert. Again, its what the Boxoffice sells that counts, not what fans are able to resell on their own.

Generally, all of the Stadium in Raleigh as well as Charllottesville have sold tickets in nearly ever section of the stadium on both levels. Thats a sign that the shows have sold very well.

On POPMART, when certain stadiums were only 1/2 full, tickets were not even sold for the upper section of the stadium.

The album is doing fantastic! Its the 2nd biggest selling album of the year!

It's relative. NLOTH sold about half of what HTDAAB did in its first week, and it's been downhill from there. 'Get On Your Boots' was the first single since 'If God Will Send His Angels" to not hit the UK Top 10.

That U2 is second to Lady Gaga is no real consolation.

However I must concede, you can't argue with the tour numbers thus far.

But seriously, do you think NLOTH is the draw? Or is it the U2 Brand (and the Claw)?

It's relative. NLOTH sold about half of what HTDAAB did in its first week, and it's been downhill from there. 'Get On Your Boots' was the first single since 'If God Will Send His Angels" to not hit the UK Top 10.

That U2 is second to Lady Gaga is no real consolation.

However I must concede, you can't argue with the tour numbers thus far.

But seriously, do you think NLOTH is the draw? Or is it the U2 Brand (and the Claw)?

Yeah but also take into consideration the economic climate this time around as well as the downloading market. It is different than 2004/2005. It's hard to compare album sales now to even 5 years ago. People just don't buy albums anymore. Sad but true. Of my entire circle of friends I'm the only one I know who still buys albums on a consistent basis.

One thing I think is safe to say, of all the albums on that list with maybe the exception of the MJ albums, NLOTH will likely distance itself from every single one of them over time. Lady Gaga's album will not sell at all come mid 2010. NLOTH will continue to sell over the years.

The Claw has absolutely nothing to do with how well the tour is selling. The casual fan who buys a ticket doesn't know the stage design and doesn't really care. Every tour U2 does from here on out will live and die based on their reputation. They're not selling out stadiums based on any album anymore. No matter how good an album they make people are going to see U2 cause it's U2 not cause they just put out an album better than JT and AB combined.

*Note: I'm not saying NLOTH is better than those albums combined. Just an example

All this talk about making the most money setting attendance records etc is just crap. If that is why U2 is making music then we are following the wrong band. Not sure I understand the need to set records for most attending and most money per venue etc.

The main point is the band is touring in the worst economic times and people are hurting. Ticket resales show that they are not able to resell at cost so there is a problem for the fans.

LIVE NATION guarenteed the band x amount of money. Then after LN adds in their profit it is the fan who loses out. I just saw Pearl Jam at Chicago center and they played great shows at 1/2 -2/3rds the cost and they didn't need a claw to make the crowd happy.
I usually go to 2-4 shows per tour but I will only make it to one since they are all stadiums. It is more fun to at least see the band on stage then to watch a screen to see them up close.

Lets go back to arenas and make the show personal and intimate. :lol:

Actually it was 58% to be exact and its still the biggest first week sales for an album, in the United States, in 2009 with the exception of Eminem who sold slightly more. Worldwide, it is still the biggest first week of 2009.

Comparisons to what HTDAAB did back in 2004 are meaningless. The entire market is only selling about half of what it did in 2004, plus now the economy is in recession. The majority of people don't buy albums anymore thanks to file sharing, CD Burning, and other ways of obtaining music for free.

In an environment where sales for all albums by all artist consistently decline year after year, the only accurate way to assess and albums success is to compare how it did versus other albums in the same year.

Right now, NLOTH is the 2nd biggest selling album of 2009. It may finish the year at #2, which would be better than what Achtung Baby did in 1992 finishing at #5 and nearly as good as the Joshua Tree which finished at #1 in 1987.

Its the 2nd biggest selling album of the year. It is indeed the draw. Back in 1997 when POP sold much less than previous U2 albums had sold, it had a big impact on ticket sales.

With U2 the success of the new album has always had an impact on the tour.

All this talk about making the most money setting attendance records etc is just crap. If that is why U2 is making music then we are following the wrong band. Not sure I understand the need to set records for most attending and most money per venue etc.

Its not crap at all. Since day, U2 have always strived to make the best music possible and to sell it to as many people as possible. They have always taken the business side of things as serious as the artistic side of things.

It is a business, and setting attendance records and gross records is the sign of an extremely healthy and successful business. You can say objectively that they are at the top of the mountain in that regard. When it comes to the artistic side, that will always be a matter of subjectivity as to how successful they have been.

The main point is the band is touring in the worst economic times and people are hurting. Ticket resales show that they are not able to resell at cost so there is a problem for the fans.

The same thing happened on the Vertigo Tour when the economy was doing well. When the band MEETS the demand in the market to see them, it is going to be difficult for anyone to resell their tickets because everyone in that market that wants to see them already has a ticket.

The 2nd Boston show is not soldout and most people in the general public who do not have tickets yet and still want to go to the show, which is probably a very small number, will most likely buy their tickets at the boxoffice.

Thats what happens when you meet nearly all or most of the demand inthe market. It makes it difficult for ticket scalpers or ticket resellers to sell the tickets they have purchased. For the band it means they have successfully met demand in the market and few people are going to be making money off of them by reselling the tickets.

Again, its only a problem for the fans who are reselling their tickets. But again, this happens all the time when an artist has successfully met all the demand in a given market to see them.

LIVE NATION guarenteed the band x amount of money. Then after LN adds in their profit it is the fan who loses out. I just saw Pearl Jam at Chicago center and they played great shows at 1/2 -2/3rds the cost and they didn't need a claw to make the crowd happy.
I usually go to 2-4 shows per tour but I will only make it to one since they are all stadiums. It is more fun to at least see the band on stage then to watch a screen to see them up close.

Pearl Jam is in Arena's at ticket prices that are less than half of U2's because that is all the demand that is there for them in the market. Pearl Jam plays the United Center because there is not enough demand for them to sellout Soldier Field. Pearl Jam is no different from other artist in that they charge market value for their tickets.

If U2 had decided just to play a few arena shows in Chicago rather than the stadiums, many people would not be able to get tickets to see the band.

Lets go back to arenas and make the show personal and intimate.

U2 has been making Stadium shows personal and intimate since the 1980s!

Its not crap at all. Since day, U2 have always strived to make the best music possible and to sell it to as many people as possible. They have always taken the business side of things as serious as the artistic side of things.

It is a business, and setting attendance records and gross records is the sign of an extremely healthy and successful business. You can say objectively that they are at the top of the mountain in that regard. When it comes to the artistic side, that will always be a matter of subjectivity as to how successful they have been.

You must be a member of the band to be so subjective on the matter. If its the money and the Record of sales etc is all you or they can rest at night on then again good luck at the pearly gates.....

Thats what happens when you meet nearly all or most of the demand inthe market. It makes it difficult for ticket scalpers or ticket resellers to sell the tickets they have purchased. For the band it means they have successfully met demand in the market and few people are going to be making money off of them by reselling the tickets.

If you have that many resells by fans then something is wrong...... Have they lost their job and need the money or is it they just dont want to hassle after seeing the show previews from Europe??? hard to tell.

Pearl Jam is in Arena's at ticket prices that are less than half of U2's because that is all the demand that is there for them in the market. Pearl Jam plays the United Center because there is not enough demand for them to sellout Soldier Field. Pearl Jam is no different from other artist in that they charge market value for their tickets.

Pearl Jam keep prices down and play arenas as they would rather enjoy intimate show. I am sure they could sell a few stadium shows out in a few large cities. Hell they are playing 4 nights at spectrum....Plus they headline festivals every year.
Radiohead same thing. they know they have made enough money to see them through life. No need to have more then you need just to have bragging rights.

If U2 had decided just to play a few arena shows in Chicago rather than the stadiums, many people would not be able to get tickets to see the band.

Or they could work a little harder for their money and people would have a more personal show. Stadiums are not the best place to enjoy a show. More ambiance and lights with lots of bad sound floating in a concrete monster. BIgger is not always better. Best u2 show I saw was with 150 people.:applaud:

You must be a member of the band to be so subjective on the matter. If its the money and the Record of sales etc is all you or they can rest at night on then again good luck at the pearly gates.....

The band have specifically stated that they want to be good at both the art and business of their music. Most U2 fans have known that for decades and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If you have that many resells by fans then something is wrong...... Have they lost their job and need the money or is it they just dont want to hassle after seeing the show previews from Europe??? hard to tell.

Actually its very normal. Having 2,500 tickets up for resell out of 72,000 is normal. Every Pearl Jam show on this small tour they are doing has a similar percentage of people attempting to resell tickets.

Again, this tour is on course to be the highest attended and highest grossing tour in history. They have already set the attendance record for Chicago, Boston, and New York City with the first shows in those markets.

Pearl Jam keep prices down and play arenas as they would rather enjoy intimate show.

If that were true, every single Pearl Jam show on the last tour would have been soldout. But the majority of shows were not soldout. The failure to sellout actually suggest they might be over charging when it comes to ticket price.

I am sure they could sell a few stadium shows out in a few large cities.

There is no evidence of that based on the current touring results. Plus, even if they could sellout a few stadium shows, thats nothing compared to selling out or filling 100 Stadium shows around the World as U2 is doing with this tour.

Hell they are playing 4 nights at spectrum

1. Philadelphia is probably the #1 Pearl Jam market in the world, with the possible exception of Seattle.

2. They are not playing shows in nearby Washington DC or New York City which forces fans from those markets into the Philadelphia market.

Plus they headline festivals every year.

Headlining annual festivals that fill up or sellout every year regardless of who the headliner that year is, is not a sign that they could play stadiums. In fact, the festival is the opposite of a stadium show by one main artist in that multiple artist pool their collective fan bases in an attempt to sellout a larger venue than any of them could on their own as well as attracting the general public with the option to see a large number of artist at one show.

Radiohead same thing. they know they have made enough money to see them through life. No need to have more then you need just to have bragging rights.

There were multiple Radiohead shows at venues in the southern United States last year that failed to sellout even though the venue only held 20,000 people, and tickets were as low as $30 dollars.

Pearl Jam could certainly beat Radiohead at this business but not by much. There is not nearly enough demand for either artist to mount a stadium tour, and the ticket prices they charged are market value based on the fact that many of their shows do not completely sellout.

Radiohead are still selling concert tickets for profit and albums for profit, just like most other artist in the industry.

Or they could work a little harder for their money and people would have a more personal show. Stadiums are not the best place to enjoy a show. More ambiance and lights with lots of bad sound floating in a concrete monster. BIgger is not always better. Best u2 show I saw was with 150 people.

But you see that is a matter of opinion. Plus, in order for U2 to meet demand by just playing arena's, they would be on the road for much longer than they already usually are. U2 have families too, and their family members probably prefer the stadium shows, because that means they get to see that person in their family more often.

u are a word aholic that should spend more time worrying about the war in Iraq.

U2 is a great band but Radiohead and Pearl Jam are just as good or better. Selling out shows is nothing but bragging rights. Who cares. I still appreciate a band that doesnt think $$ is the only thing that matters. It pissed me off when Bono said we will have to have expensive seats cause our fans demand them.... Bull shit. Lower price by 100 bucks and you might have sold out 10 shows in NJ so economics is a # game that can be played in many ways.:doh:

U2 is a great band but Radiohead and Pearl Jam are just as good or better.

Thats a matter of opinion. I think U2 is better than Pearl Jam, and light years ahead of Radiohead. The majority of people think the same as well. The only song that most people know by Radiohead is "Creep".

Selling out shows is nothing but bragging rights. Who cares.

Artist like U2, Pearl Jam and Radiohead who attempt to sellout their shows every tour.

I still appreciate a band that doesnt think $$ is the only thing that matters.

Well, U2, Pearl Jam and Radiohead are all the same in that regard. All three think that both art and money matters.

It pissed me off when Bono said we will have to have expensive seats cause our fans demand them.... Bull shit.

There are some fans out there that want to be in what they would call, "the well to do section". I think its absurd, but they do exist.

More importantly though, by having tickets that cost $250 in some sections, the band is able to sell the nosebleeds at $30 and still arrive at the same gross and profit margin they would get with more averaged price tickets.

Lower price by 100 bucks and you might have sold out 10 shows in NJ so economics is a # game that can be played in many ways.

If you charge too little, you'll sell a lot more tickets, but you'll be losing out on potential gross. The idea is to price the tickets correctly in order to get the highest gross possible out of the market. If you charge too much, less people will come and the gross will not be maximized or as high if you had charged a lower price that was closer to market value.

The idea is not to charge a high ticket price or a low ticket price, but to charge tickets at the correct market value. Would you sell your house or car for less than what it is worth on the market? Would you get many buyers for your house or car if you tried to sell it for more than market value?

By the way, the average ticket price is about $105 dollars. If the band lowered the average price by $100 dollars, they would only be selling tickets for an average of $5 dollars and would be losing money on the show.

Thats a matter of opinion. I think U2 is better than Pearl Jam, and light years ahead of Radiohead. The majority of people think the same as well. The only song that most people know by Radiohead is "Creep".

I agree about most things you say.... But that the majority of people think that U2 is light years ahead of Radiohead and that the only song most people know is 'creep' .... hmm here you really missed it. But indeed it's all a matter of opinion who you like most

I agree about most things you say.... But that the majority of people think that U2 is light years ahead of Radiohead and that the only song most people know is 'creep' .... hmm here you really missed it. But indeed it's all a matter of opinion who you like most

Well, I would say the majority of U2 fans like U2 better than Pearl Jam and Radiohead. Its just my opinion that U2 are much better than Radiohead.

It is a fact that Radiohead's most well known song in the United States is Creep. Radio overall plays this song far more than anything else by Radiohead and as a result, it is often the only song that most of the general public recognizes as being by Radiohead.

I think scalpers overestimated what americans would be willing to pay for tickets in this economy. I think people still want to see U2, but if they missed a chance to get tickets at face value they might not be willing to pay several times the face value these days. I don't think people were as hesitant during elevation and vertigo. those tickets will get sold, I'm sure, but maybe not for the profit scalpers were hoping... which is fine by me. :mac:

I think scalpers overestimated what americans would be willing to pay for tickets in this economy. I think people still want to see U2, but if they missed a chance to get tickets at face value they might not be willing to pay several times the face value these days. I don't think people were as hesitant during elevation and vertigo. those tickets will get sold, I'm sure, but maybe not for the profit scalpers were hoping... which is fine by me. :mac:
From what I'm seeing they are taking a bath. If I were still in the market, I would definitely offer half what they are asking and see what happens.

From what I'm seeing they are taking a bath. If I were still in the market, I would definitely offer half what they are asking and see what happens.

From what I see on some places like ebay or stubhub, tickets that are $117 are going for around $80. I dont think scalpers are making any money this time around.
In trying to sell 4 tickets and listing and relisting in a variety of different locations, I am now accepting that I am going to have to take a pretty big loss,especially on any site that takes a commission. They arent selling at face value. If it was just one, sure Id be bummed, but four sucks.

From what I see on some places like ebay or stubhub, tickets that are $117 are going for around $80. I dont think scalpers are making any money this time around.
In trying to sell 4 tickets and listing and relisting in a variety of different locations, I am now accepting that I am going to have to take a pretty big loss,especially on any site that takes a commission. They arent selling at face value. If it was just one, sure Id be bummed, but four sucks.

I think its a good idea before you buy tickets for others beside yourself, that the people you are buying for commit to paying for the ticket regardless if they end up being able to go to the show or not especially if the ticket can't be resold.

If this was an attempt to scalp tickets, its best to do it under conditions where ticket demand greatly outweigh's ticket supply. The first ever in the round 360 stadium tour is not a good environment to try and resell tickets in. The vast majority of people who want tickets already have them, and many that don't can still by from the boxoffice in many markets.

If U2 were only playing two shows at the United Center in Chicago, selling four tickets well above face value would be easy. But playing two shows at Soldier Field with 3 to 4 times the capacity of the United Center makes doing that extremely difficult if not impossible. These two Soldier Field shows combined will probably be the largest number of people U2 have ever played to in Chicago.

I think its a good idea before you buy tickets for others beside yourself, that the people you are buying for commit to paying for the ticket regardless if they end up being able to go to the show or not especially if the ticket can't be resold.

If this was an attempt to scalp tickets, its best to do it under conditions where ticket demand greatly outweigh's ticket supply.

Neither of those situations apply actually. Not scalping and not for others necessarily. I had issues during the first sale not getting in until 15 minutes into it and grabbed what was available. THen for the second day sale...I got in & got ahead of myself when better seats showed up and I bought them! At the time, I didnt think Id have a problem reselling. I surely wont be doing that again though. :crack:

Well, I would say the majority of U2 fans like U2 better than Pearl Jam and Radiohead. Its just my opinion that U2 are much better than Radiohead.

It is a fact that Radiohead's most well known song in the United States is Creep. Radio overall plays this song far more than anything else by Radiohead and as a result, it is often the only song that most of the general public recognizes as being by Radiohead.

I agree with you that the majority of U2 fans like U2 better than PJ or Radiohead. Like the majority of Radiohead fans like radiohead more than U2, etc...Ok, didn't know you were talking about the US. It's also true that in Europe people know U2 better than Radiohead, although it is not limited to Creep here.

My opinion is that I like U2 more than Radiohead, but if I had to choose one single masterpiece to listen to the rest of my life it would be "OK Computer". It's an album that after 11 years I can still listen to in a very fresh way. all those emotions on that album touches something very deep in my soul. there is no other album that does the same to me.

But indeed it's all a matter of opinion!

My opinion is that I like U2 more than Radiohead, but if I had to choose one single masterpiece to listen to the rest of my life it would be "OK Computer". It's an album that after 11 years I can still listen to in a very fresh way. all those emotions on that album touches something very deep in my soul. there is no other album that does the same to me.

But indeed it's all a matter of opinion![/QUOTE]

Yea OK Computer and IN Rainbows are 2 of the best albums of the past 15 years. There is something to be said of seeing a band in their prime. Like u2 at red rocks. I was lucky to see Radiohead at Tower theater a few years back as they worked on In Rainbows. Also lucky to see U2 play at Brown Universtity with 300 people back in early 80's/

But indeed it's all a matter of opinion!

Yea OK Computer and IN Rainbows are 2 of the best albums of the past 15 years. There is something to be said of seeing a band in their prime. Like u2 at red rocks. I was lucky to see Radiohead at Tower theater a few years back as they worked on In Rainbows. Also lucky to see U2 play at Brown Universtity with 300 people back in early 80's/[/QUOTE]

This is music, not football, there really is no such thing as a "prime". The best artist produce great music consistently as time goes by.
U2 is one of those artist.

Yea OK Computer and IN Rainbows are 2 of the best albums of the past 15 years. There is something to be said of seeing a band in their prime. Like u2 at red rocks. I was lucky to see Radiohead at Tower theater a few years back as they worked on In Rainbows. Also lucky to see U2 play at Brown Universtity with 300 people back in early 80's/

This is music, not football, there really is no such thing as a "prime". The best artist produce great music consistently as time goes by.
U2 is one of those artist.

I'm late to this discussion lol, but I tried to be 'moved' by Radiohead, nothing doing :|
And I understand how great U2 was in the whole red rocks phase, but I wasn't as moved by some of that material as I have been by later work, so....
I agree that there is no such thing as 'prime' really, unless you're talking about like rick springfield or somesuch, you know, and can say dude, I saw him sing 'jessie's girl' in his 'prime' :lol:
U2 surely have produced great music consistently as time goes by, and that they have done so in a variety of styles is testament, imho, to their being even better than most 'best' artists!!!! I'm so excited to get hit by how good they are again on sunday night!!! :hyper:

That said though, it must have been really really cool to see U2 when they were younger as well, especially when they were playing small venues wow, the energy must have been fantastic. Not that their big middle-aged selves lol doesn't have its own special energy! I wish I had seen them thru all their phases :love:

cheers all...

ah, just wait til they are the musical guest for the first night of SNL, with Megan Fox hosting! Then the tix will be hot again I bet!

Back
Top Bottom