Alternative View of the 360 Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
short people not on the rail in ga can't see...gee, that sounds like every concert in the history of time. i'm not even that short and i had the same problem when i saw liam finn in a theatre a month ago, and i didn't go around complaining that i wished he'd played a club instead.

Eh, I'm short and can't see from GA whether it's in an arena or a stadium. That doesn't really factor into my preference for arena over stadium.

With apologies to Randy Newman:

Short people got ... no reason .... to be at U2 shows!

:wink:

You keep saying this but you can get into the pit until 6pm or later at most of these shows. The only "wait" involved would be waiting for whatever GA line is still outside to finish filing in. We waited less than a half hour and pit spots were still available.

We got into the pit before 6:00 PM. Wife and daughters, all 5' 2", could not see.

short people not on the rail in ga can't see...gee, that sounds like every concert in the history of time. i'm not even that short and i had the same problem when i saw liam finn in a theatre a month ago, and i didn't go around complaining that i wished he'd played a club instead.

Wife has been going to shows like me since about '81. Many of those have been GA in an arena. Many more have been GA in clubs. We have managed to find a way for her to see. We were advised that back rail of pit was reasonably spacious and that we'd have a good view. Neither were true.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind trying the "get there at 6 and go into the pit" trick just to try it, but I know I'd be smack in the middle of the crowd and not able to see. I'd rather be in the back.

In the back is hit or miss - there can be pockets of good space, but it can also be a little crowded in spots.

As far as seeing, you might luck out if no one comes and stands really close in front of you, but as soon as someone even a smidge taller stands a foot in front of you, there goes your view. Oh well. That's the way it goes.

I think it helped that I went into the second Chicago show assuming I'd be watching the screens for glimpses of the band, and that's what happened. I still had an awesome time.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I got in line at 5:20am and I couldn't see worth a damn in the pit either. I'm 5'7".

It does not make me feel better (as I do not take pleasure in anyone's misery), but it makes me feel awfully bad for you. I hope (and think) you still had a great time.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong - we enjoyed the show. We simply take issue with how U2 has approached the stadium setup.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong - we enjoyed the show. We simply take issue with how U2 has approached the stadium setup.

I haven't read every post....but concerts are not for everyone. Sometimes I think people who don't want the problem of lining up for GA or possibly getting an unobstructed view, should just opt for watching the DVD at home.

If U2 is playing stadiums, I hope you've seen them in an arena setting. The stadium setup is harder...more people......you can either deal with it or prepare yourself ahead of time.

I would never pay $250 for a seat.

Although, I have paid $250 for a GA before. :huh:

I have been very comfortable in the front row of the 360 tour.

I have also had a fantastic time dancing, grooving, and singing while by the soundboard.

It is totally understood that the lower bowl seats, whether near or far to the stage, are gonna cost $250. For me, I'd rather battle it out in GA.

And when I say battle it out.....this is U2 we're talking about. Try and check out Rage Against the Machine and have GA tickets. Obviously a totally different ball game.

I've got a U2 friend (who's seen U2 in the triple digits now) who strategically (with his GA) tries to see the concert from different views from the floor. (rail, outside rail, soundboard, Adam's side, Bono's side)

I'd suggest that people be happy that they managed to get a ticket to the best show on earth.

In the age of computers and venue maps, prepare yourself ahead of time and plan out your seating.

Years ago...I remember travelling to Montreal to catch my 3rd Popmart show with a dot matrix printout of the seating layout of Olympic Stadium. I knew exactly where I wanted to be on the floor.

Anyway...I'm blabbing now.

It is that. Meanwhile, are you insinuating that we're out of shape? :wink: None of us have ever been athletes, but we're all in pretty good condition and plenty strong enough. It's just that my wife and daughters decided to be short people.
I'm certainly not insinuating anything about your physical status!! :wink: I'm certainly insinuating about my own, and I know next year I'm not going to have the oomph to do GA, I'll be getting seats.

And as for the whole "don't bother going to see U2, stay home and watch the Dvd" vibe, I did state that I will jump through more hoops for U2 than for anyone else. A U2 show is a U2 show after all and I won't miss it. Who knows if they will continue to visit Australia after next year for one? However, stadium shows are no picnic, and it's not a thing I relish. However, since that's the only way I'm going to see those short Irish blokes, that's what I'm going to have to do....

*typedwithtonguefirmlyincheek*

It does not make me feel better (as I do not take pleasure in anyone's misery), but it makes me feel awfully bad for you. I hope (and think) you still had a great time.

I had a blast, actually. If U2 concerts were "miserable" I would not be wasting my time. But that's really my point, I try not to let these things affect my enjoyment. I can't control who is tall or short or whether the tallest guy on the floor has to stand *right* in front of me AND hold his damn camera in front of my face the entire time. I just suck it up and hope for a better view the next time (which I got). Also we chose the back railing rather than the front, that's just the risk you take depending on where *you* choose to stand and how long *you* will wait in line. If you need to be along the front rail so you can see and feel close to the bad, but won't wait in line for that spot then I'm afraid you are not going to fully enjoy any shows.

...However, stadium shows are no picnic, and it's not a thing I relish. However, since that's the only way I'm going to see those short Irish blokes, that's what I'm going to have to do....

*typedwithtonguefirmlyincheek*

Agree. I'd rather see U2 in a Stadium than not at all. And I'd even rather see the U2 360 tour than not see U2 at all. I just don't think it's the ideal setup. For those of you who are wondering, the ideal setup would be 3 hours in a club with 200 people, then tossing back pints with the band afterward. I simply don't understand why they can't make that happen! :D

And, hello U2BROTHR - seen some of your posts while I've lurked, and you seem like a nice guy. For sure, my wife and I always concede as native Southerners "Dang! Those Canadians are even nicer than us!" But as to concerts not being for everyone, I know you didn't read all the posts here (and, that's a good thing, because I prattle on aimlessly), but I'm a experienced live music junkie. As for GA experiences, more of my shows have been that than not. I've had plenty of rail bruises across the chest. I've been in some maelstrom type crowds for The Ramones, The Pixies, Janes Addiction, etc.

Here. I'm going to come out and say it. Next time U2 does stadiums, they should do reserved seating on the floor (OK, I'm running for cover!).

I realize that makes me a heretic. But I've never been on a reserved seat floor where the short members of my family can't see. Tall guy in front of you? Fine - shift to the right or left 6" - now you can see. The crowd is distributed in such a way in this situation that you don't get that magical, visually impenetrable packing of 6 footers that seem to get together in GA. As a side note, just before Muse came out, a dang 6' 5" dude came into the pit and stood right in front of us. No anger at all toward him. My wife, daughters and I all kept looking at each other and laughing at our bad luck. We know the guy can't help that he's tall any more than we can that most of us are short. He ended up moving shortly thereafter, but my short ladies still couldn't see.

Anyway, I realize that U2's GA floor policy since 2001 (in the US anyway) is part of a strategy to make "good" (if you're tall or have lots of time and never pee) "seats" available at a reasonable cost. Further, I realize if U2 moved to all seats in stadiums, they'd have to price the floor seats high due to demand. That gets to there being no one fair way to do this. Some people have money. Some have time. Some have both. Some have neither.

Just a thought. How about this? Edge's side of the field: GA and inexpensive. Adam's side: Resereved and priced accordingly.

I also realize that RZ was an attempt to address this, and I think it was pretty creative and worked. In retrospect, would have been perfect option for us.

The other option is to go back to a full stadium end stage. They want GA on the field? Fine. Work that stage though. gives more lower seats a better view.

short people not on the rail in ga can't see...gee, that sounds like every concert in the history of time.

No, U2 specifically went out of their way to make it even harder for short people, it's part of Bono's Napoleon complex.

See they found a way to change the law of physics, see if you were 5'-2" in the 80's it was easier to see, the claw has actually changed the laws of gravity and eyesight so 5'-2" in 2009 just ain't the same.

Here. I'm going to come out and say it. Next time U2 does stadiums, they should do reserved seating on the floor (OK, I'm running for cover!).

:hmm: I don't know how that would work.

Anyway, I realize that U2's GA floor policy since 2001 (in the US anyway) is part of a strategy to make "good" (if you're tall or have lots of time and never pee) "seats" available at a reasonable cost. Further, I realize if U2 moved to all seats in stadiums, they'd have to price the floor seats high due to demand. That gets to there being no one fair way to do this. Some people have money. Some have time. Some have both. Some have neither.

I just can't imagine a U2 concert with reserved seats on the floor. I haven't done GA at a U2 show since Zoo, however I always love the energy that the people in GA give off. It really wouldn't be the same if everyone was standing in neat little rows in front of chairs on the field. It just seems odd to me. Plus you're bound to end up with a bunch of people who will want to sit through the entire show and get pissed at people who actually want to stand up, sing and dance. :doh: Plus as you said, the price would be ridiculous.

Just a thought. How about this? Edge's side of the field: GA and inexpensive. Adam's side: Resereved and priced accordingly.

Well now, that isn't exactly fair to the fans who would rather be in GA on Adam's side.

No, U2 specifically went out of their way to make it even harder for short people, it's part of Bono's Napoleon complex.

See they found a way to change the law of physics, see if you were 5'-2" in the 80's it was easier to see, the claw has actually changed the laws of gravity and eyesight so 5'-2" in 2009 just ain't the same.

I appreciate the sarcasm, but there was little room to maneuver where we were in the pit Saturday, and from the back rail the people with me flat out couldn't see the stage. At least one person here has said they are content to see the screen from the pit. If that's what floats your boat, enjoy it, but that's not a rock concert. I think the setup sucks. Apparently almost no one else does. Fine.

I appreciate the sarcasm, but there was little room to maneuver where we were in the pit Saturday, and from the back rail the people with me flat out couldn't see the stage. At least one person here has said they are content to see the screen from the pit. If that's what floats your boat, enjoy it, but that's not a rock concert. I think the setup sucks. Apparently almost no one else does. Fine.

i think this raises a very important point: we are blessed to have the likes of youtube and other services where we can see concert footage from various vantage points. For example, based on videos i've seen, i should have no problem seeing the band etc. from any of the areas (front of stage, outer rail, etc) due to my height. However, for someone who is shorter, take a look at the videos and get an idea of what vantage point might suit you better...

:hmm: I don't know how that would work.

I just can't imagine a U2 concert with reserved seats on the floor. I haven't done GA at a U2 show since Zoo, however I always love the energy that the people in GA give off. It really wouldn't be the same if everyone was standing in neat little rows in front of chairs on the field. It just seems odd to me. Plus you're bound to end up with a bunch of people who will want to sit through the entire show and get pissed at people who actually want to stand up, sing and dance. :doh: Plus as you said, the price would be ridiculous.

Popmart Sydney, for one (I'm assuming, I didn't go to any other shows) was seated on the floor, or grass.

Don't mean to sound rude, but you chose a bad spot, don't blame the "set up". You were lucky up to this point, and perhaps a little spoiled...

I also realize that RZ was an attempt to address this, and I think it was pretty creative and worked. In retrospect, would have been perfect option for us.

Yeah you answered your own question. RZ would have been the way to go for you guys, methinks.

(except for the few who have the luxury of being about to wait in line for 12 +/- hours ).

I think that this is the only thing in this entire thread you've said that I take exception with. For most people waiting in GA for many hours, or even camping out, it's not about having the "luxury" to do it. Being in the first hundred or two people in GA, and thus achieving a rail spot is not so much a luxury. It takes persistence, determination, planning, and the desire to completely rearrange your life in order to do it. People who do it both give up a lot, and withstand a lot in order to be there, but it's because they've made it a priority.

Not saying that absolutely everyone is able to do it. Some people have work or family commitments that absolutely will not permit the hours required for GA. But most people there have commitments too, they've just decided that GA is important enough to them that they're willing to sacrifice financially, physically, and personally for it.

The best place to see this tour is from the centre about 10 to 20 rows back from the inner circle.

If you're inside the circle you miss the spectacle. I was about 50/50 as far as eye contact with the band and with the giant, astoundingly clear and bright screen. You daughters would have been much happier back with me.

Back
Top Bottom