All (RED) Zone / VIP Tickets Discussion HERE Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry if this has been asked already, but how is the view in the Red Zone for someone who is short? I'm 5 foot 6 and I just want to know if its worth it trying to get into the Red Zone or just buying a seated ticket instead.

Can you still get a decent view if you're a bit further back in the Red Zone or would I need to try and get in close to the stage?

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how is the view in the Red Zone for someone who is short? I'm 5 foot 6 and I just want to know if its worth it trying to get into the Red Zone or just buying a seated ticket instead.

Can you still get a decent view if you're a bit further back in the Red Zone or would I need to try and get in close to the stage?

I'm 5'3 and you can see my last few posts here for my comments. In the red zone you are not right up close to the stage so you are back far enough to see everything no matter what your height. The red zone is on the OUTSIDE of the pit.

D.darroch and bonocomet - thanks for sharing your experiences! Wow, two very different experiences though - so I guess you're right and it all depends on how high demand the show is as to how cruisey it will be! I'm guessing Sydney would be considered high demand too.. do you think? So 8-9am would be the go??? I guess I'd love to get on the rail because I'm really short, but it's good to know you could still get 2nd row if you arrived later!

I realise 300 people per red zone is obviously not too many in comparison to the inner circle, but having never done GA, it still sounds like a lot! Do you know roughly how many people they squeeze into the inner circle? Would be good to have a rough comparison to work with! :)

From memory I think the figure thrown around for the inner circle by most people is 1,500-2,000 people. The crowd density for the inner circle is double that of RZ.

In general, I'd say demand to see U2 in the US is a fair bit higher than in oz. GA's in the presales in the US could be quite hard to come by. For the Boots presale in Vegas, all GA's were gone within 30 mins (with the site crashing for most of that time). Most people on interference seemed to miss out. Here you can still purchase GA's to all of the shows days after the presale has begun!

Back in '06 I lined up from around 7-8am for both the Sydney Vertigo shows I saw. From memory I was 30-50th in line. For show 1 this got me front of stage, centre, about 4 rows back (after a lot of queue jumping by people throughout the day). For show 2, I was on the rail of Adam's b-stage, a great spot.

For the Rose Bowl we were told no camping & no arrivals before 8am. It turned out with that same 8am arrival time I ended up 400th in line! Then, later in the day, that line turned into a stampede.

The Rose Bowl was an EXCEPTIONALLY high demand concert. It was the only show in Los Angeles, the US's 2nd largest city (with an urban population of 15 million people!). Plus everyone wanted to be at that show, due to the filming of the DVD & the live you tube webcast.

So don't expect this in Sydney. Yeah, it'll be a high demand Aussie show. There will be hundreds & hundreds of people waiting by the time gates open. But it won't be the tousands & thousands of people the Rose Bowl experienced.

Also, a heads up, ANZ stadium is surrounded by concrete pavers, which were absolutely cooking during the GA lines back in November '06 (it was unseasonably warm from memory). The 2 gates used for GA faced N & W. So one was in the sun all day, & the other from about 10-11am. The GA line was a very draining experience!

But with RZ you can skip most of that.

There are plenty of people who say don't line up for hours in GA it's not worth it. They say, what's the deal with spending 4 hours, just to get 4m closer. I'm short, being on that rail makes a huge difference (ok, I'm a rail whore). I've camped overnight in Vancouver, in 2 degree C weather (with no tent, no sleeping bag, no mat), & was blessed with being 1st into the inner circle (from Edge's side), & a spot right below Bono's mic. I've spent plenty of days waiting in line, in Sydney, the US, Slane.

So don't get me wrong, I love spending time in GA lines, meeting new friends. But don't feel you need to line up all day, to get the rail, a great spot in RZ, or even an amazing spot! I'm guessing a midday arrival will put you 1st in line (or very close to it), 2pm will get you an amazing spot on the rail (as should 3pm). Of course there's no telling how the Aussie crowd will react to RZ. I have to admit I'm very suprised to see the presale RZ allocations sell out, while there's still GA's available to all shows.

Here's a few photos taken at the Phoenix show (low demand). These are taken side on (Edge's side), with RZ 1 in the foreground. I left RZ to take these, it's chilled, you can easily go for food/drinks, the bathroom, or just go for a wander. Looking at the EXIF data of the shots they were all taken right on 6pm (about an hour after they let us in). I'd say the RZ contains about 50 people, with only the front half (the best half) of the rail taken. While the inner circle is getting close to jammed, & the outer circle is over 10 deep.

091020U2360Phoenix012.jpg

091020U2360Phoenix014.jpg

091020U2360Phoenix010.jpg

091020U2360Phoenix016.jpg

I don't mean to be a downer. If you want to experience a day in a GA line, go for it, it's a great experience. But if you're thinking about arriving early only because you feel it's going to be necessary to secure a good spot, or if the weather's no great, I'd probably arrive some time in the early afternoon.

Just for the record, and did not find this first class, went RZ for Helsinki 2 and we were allowed the entrance 5 minutes before GA. And RZ has access to GA! Meaning that could have stolen a front GA to someone who waited a full day, and some of the RZ went for it.
I have done this many times in the past (wait a full day to be in the front) and would have found disrespectful to find someone standing front row being the first in the line.
Hope that was special, RZ people should be allowed in GA after at least a couple hundred guys from GA entered the premises.
Anyway, RZ was great (my wife hates pushing) and if you short all you have to do is to be there a little earlier to ensure a spont at the fence, easy!
Also, there is always a goodies' area within the red zone, it gets removed after opening band finishes, so stick to it and you'll be at the fence as soon as removed, in case you could not secure a spot before.

Just for the record, and did not find this first class, went RZ for Helsinki 2 and we were allowed the entrance 5 minutes before GA. And RZ has access to GA! Meaning that could have stolen a front GA to someone who waited a full day, and some of the RZ went for it.
I have done this many times in the past (wait a full day to be in the front) and would have found disrespectful to find someone standing front row being the first in the line.
Hope that was special, RZ people should be allowed in GA after at least a couple hundred guys from GA entered the premises.

Yeah, with the exception of a few stuff ups, it's GA in 1st, RZ in a few minues later (unless things have changed recently). So RZ has the option of going into the inner circle, though the best spots have already been taken by those that have been waiting most of the day. The way it should be! :wink:

Well lets hope 'short' people like you let me in front of you-I am 4 feet 11 inches and a half :doh:

d.darroch - thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!! I was beginning to regret buying red zone tickets as soon as I bought them and even more so when I read that I might have to line up all day, but you have made me feel better about buying them! I hate the idea of lining up all day and as I am tiny, I never buy GA tickets because I wouldn't be able to see and don't want to get squashed!! I thought red zone might be a good compromise where I could arrive later in the afternoon and still get to experience a little bit of the GA atmosphere without actually being in there!

U2shanghai - That is very unfair!! I'm surprised there were red zone people cheeky enough to take the best GA spots from people who had waited all day!

Airwalk74 - what does that equal in cms? I'm 148cm tall (or not so tall!)... Good to know I won't be the only short arse in there! Haha!

Ha Oceangirl you appear to be a slightly shorter arse than myself. Theres only been one other concert where there was someone shorter than me and I couldn't contain my amazement-at Crowded House at the West Coast Bues. We were standing behind this dude who was over 6 feet tall on the front fence-its like man you are a giant and you have midgets behind you-show some compassion and bugger off :applaud:

So, with Red Zone tickets you still have to line up before the show?
But just not as much? Or is it reserved so even if you get that during the opening act you'll still get a spot?

Or is the Red Zone line just for people who want to be on the rails? When does that line start queing up as opposed to the GA line. (as it wouldn't make much sense to buy RZ tickets if you have to wait 6 hrs to be on the rail if you could buy GA tickets and be in the pit and only wait for 8 hrs)

Hey razredge, I'm not sure about specifics like what time etc, but the indications i've got relate to the fact that you essentially do not have to line up early, ie you could come at 7pm or whatever, and you still get into that little fenced of 'zone'. But if you want the rail in this zone, lining up early may be required, but not as early as regular GA of course.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though, I've never had red zone before or even regular GA but i'm pretty sure no matter what time you arrive you get a good close spot in that reserved little area. :lol:

So, with Red Zone tickets you still have to line up before the show?
But just not as much? Or is it reserved so even if you get that during the opening act you'll still get a spot?

I've strolled in during Space Odyssey a few times and never been more than 3 people off the rail (10 or so shows in RZ).

Any time Ive gone in before the opening act I was able to grab a front row spot

Who's side is whos can differ though. I think last year the sides were switched from Europe to North America.

Red Zone 1 is Edge's side based on the Ticketmaster seating plan for the Melbourne concert.

Silly question but....

What do the Red Zone tickets look like?

I am going in there for both Melbourne shows and can`t pick them up till the day of the shows.

Cheers,

Mikie.

Silly question but....

What do the Red Zone tickets look like?

I am going in there for both Melbourne shows and can`t pick them up till the day of the shows.

Cheers,

Mikie.

Standard ticket + you get a wristband that indicates Red Zone access (color and design change nightly)

Hey guys. I'm curious about something.

When I bought my RZ 1 for Sydney 2 on Ticketek, I noticed that you could still click on "Regular Mail" as a delivery option. Not taking any chances, I selected "Venue / City Box Office Collection," of course.

What would've happened if I had went through with the purchase with "Regular Mail" selected as the delivery option?

What do you think?

Hey guys. I'm curious about something.

When I bought my RZ 1 for Sydney 2 on Ticketek, I noticed that you could still click on "Regular Mail" as a delivery option. Not taking any chances, I selected "Venue / City Box Office Collection," of course.

What would've happened if I had went through with the purchase with "Regular Mail" selected as the delivery option?

What do you think?

They probably would have emailed you at a later time letting you know that they had to be collected at the box office :hmm:

sorry if this has been answered, but what does the backstage tour consist of? just seeing loading trucks, catering etc? band dressing room? any stories of meeting band members back there? how else could this be worth upwards of $1000 bucks?
do they do this tour all at once for ALL?- or split you into smaller groups for the tour?

sorry if this has been answered, but what does the backstage tour consist of? just seeing loading trucks, catering etc? band dressing room?

That's pretty much it. You have a better chance of seeing the band at the load-in area, where they occasionally come out and sign.

Yeah, I heard a lot of disappointment about this on the first couple of legs. I think people readily shelled out tons of cash, assuming that they would meet the band. That turned out not to be the case.

Just got my RED Zone Nashville Tix! I'm in Red Zone 2, which is great, since I was in red zone 1 last time. Anyone else going to this one??

$320+ yikes, then again we are spoiled in North America with the auctions going very low for the most part

What do these go for on the secondary market? Is it possible that the price was higher due to a larger than usual number of scalpers trying to make a buck?

But I agree, last time it was a lot less.

What do these go for on the secondary market? Is it possible that the price was higher due to a larger than usual number of scalpers trying to make a buck?

But I agree, last time it was a lot less.

Probably had alot to do with the fact that the show is completely sold out. Anaheim 1 was the only auction to go that high on the rescheduled leg, but that is when it was supposed to be the opening night show.

Pasadena was very high last leg. NY & Chicago were around $275 if I remember correctly.

Winnipeg went for a song.

Back
Top Bottom