Advice on changing travel plans! (Minimizing airline fees, etc.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't rule it out altogether, but I assume I'll be there a full day on Saturday . . .

Most spas have banned me from the premises.

Wow! Just off the phone with United. I understand and accept the $150 change fee. Montreal and NJ are out this year, but I still can do some things in LA. So, here's what I thought I would try and do:

I was booked to fly on June 8 from LAX to Miami for a trade show right after the U2 concerts. It (obviously) is for work, so thankfully I had a First Class ticket. I wanted to move the flight from June 8 to June 7 so I could have an extra day to prep in Miami before the show.

United Airlines: No change fee for First Class tickets! :up:

All I have to do is pay the difference in price from the 8th flight to the 7th.

The difference per ticket:

$1,674.00!!!

Um, fuck no!

I didn't read this entire thread so if I am repeating some info forgive me.

As far as Hotwire is concerned I was able to get all my refunds in full. What you need to do is contact the hotel where the reservation is made and ask if the manager will cancel the reservation. Then tell Hotwire you have done this. Hotwire should then call the hotel to verify the cancellation. Hotwire will refund you your money within 60 days.

They are being very cool about this and generally do not refund AT ALL. With the tour being cancelled many of the hotels will understand and cooperate. Think about it, you are getting a room in a nice hotel for a bargain rate. The hotel is able to rebook your room at the higher rate. The only looser is Hotwire.

Good luck.

Just changed my flight to/from Europe today. (Gonna stay later, so I can add Vienna and Athens to my summer!!:applaud:)

But I gotta tell ya ... American Airlines "change fee" for international flights? ... $250!!! :ohmy:

Has anyone here ever gotten around this fee? ... Or had it reduced?

Just changed my flight to/from Europe today. (Gonna stay later, so I can add Vienna and Athens to my summer!!:applaud:)

But I gotta tell ya ... American Airlines "change fee" for international flights? ... $250!!! :ohmy:

Has anyone here ever gotten around this fee? ... Or had it reduced?

Wow, ouch. I have never gotten around fees. Even f**king Northwest charged me a $100 change fee after I had to delay an international award flight because of the 2004 tsunami.

I changed (canceled) my United flights to Montreal from the U.S., and it was only $150. But, they did make me talk to an international customer service agent.

I still can't figure why it costs $150 (or $250 international) for the airlines to make a date or destination change on a damn ticket... unless you're standing at the ticketing counter needing it done THIS.INSTANT. & are acting like this --> :madwife: :wink:

Seriously, though - they've got your fucking money & you're not asking to cancel, you just want/need to make a change on when you fly or where you're flying. Somebody, please 'splain it to me! :confused:

And as kassandra pointed out for hotels, the airlines could now charge a higher fare for the now empty seat. Do airlines still overbook flights? We're actually doing them a favour by cancelling our seat! They should reward us!

They should and they absolutely overbook flights. Its what I look for when I take my Feb. break vacation. The best way to get a free flight for the next Feb. vacation!

I was able to put all my domestic flight on hold with Southwest, if I don't use them before the purchase date then they told me to call and extend the date. I left it like that in case I need to use the flights before the tour.

whoa whoa WHOA!

someone actually said to you that the date could be extended?

i called twice and specifically asked that question and was told i could not do that.

I still can't figure why it costs $150 (or $250 international) for the airlines to make a date or destination change on a damn ticket... unless you're standing at the ticketing counter needing it done THIS.INSTANT. & are acting like this --> :madwife: :wink:

Seriously, though - they've got your fucking money & you're not asking to cancel, you just want/need to make a change on when you fly or where you're flying. Somebody, please 'splain it to me! :confused:

It is nothing but money making... especially nowadays when most of the tickets are e-tickets and not old fashioned styled tickets they used to issue ahead of time.

I am old fashioned and booked through a travel agent that i've used for 20+ years.
There are people that are shocked when I tell them that I still use a travel agent too, but don't see myself changing anytime soon.

They were able to get me a full refund on my Air Canada flight and American Airlines.

Not vouchers for future travel which i was worried about!!

After reading stories here about people losing fees and non-refundable journeys I think I'll stick with her!!! :up:

Back
Top Bottom