Advice for a first-time U2 concert-goer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung_CJ

The Fly
Hi there everyone. I hope this is the right forum and there isn't one of these threads already; I didn't see one so I assume it's all right :uhoh:

As the title says, I'll be going to my first ever U2 concert soon! I'm still in high school and everyone always says to me, "you're way too young to like U2!" but I've been a huge fan for a couple years now. My family are fans too and my parents are accompanying me to the two shows that I've got tickets for--Charlottesville (10/1) and Raleigh (10/3). We have GA tickets and are hoping to be as close to the stage as possible.

So, to get to the point, does anybody have any kind of suggestions for ways to make the experience even more enjoyable than I know it will be? I'm really excited about going to see them but also a bit nervous because I've never gone to a concert this big before! Thanks for your time, I appreciate it :wave:

I am soon to be 40 & have only seen them live one time

12/10/05 Cleveland Ohio Vertigo Tour but I have lo:heart:ed them since 1987

It always seemed difficult to me to get tickets and wade through thousands of people but Cleveland was a great experience for me one that I wish I would have had when I was younger like yourself

We have four children 20 18 15 13 & they all like U2 they are not psychotic like I am but then there are alot of people here on Interference that make me look tame L:huh:L

Here is my suggestion for what it is worth

1. If you are planning on "getting as close as you can" be prepared to spend most of the day in the GA Line & I have no idea how old your parents are I would assume mid 30's they may or may not be up for it but let me say this for Vertigo in Cleveland I had GA & I was back by the SoundBoard I was able to roam around freely & not be squished like a sardine but to each their own

Take it all in no matter where you are because believe me while I will not get into my personal belief's about God I am telling you that night I felt something TRANSCENDENT & I am not just saying that for effect or because I really really love U2

By the way I will be at 9/12 9/13 & 10/1:up:

Definitely plan on getting there early! People start lining up the day before to be front row. If your parents aren't up for that, get there very early morning. You may still have a chance....if not, you can always go for the outer rail (that's what I'll be doing).

Don't be too frantic over 'OMG I need to be taking pictures!', for example. If you get the chance to get your camera out, that's great. But if it's going to be too much work, just forget about it and enjoy the concert. Don't be stressing while you could be having a ton of fun!! :D

Just enjoy yourself :) I'm 15 and I've been to 3 shows. There is so much energy and it's such a great experience. Go all out!!! :hyper:

Get stoned beyond belief before the show.

Just kidding. I'm 16, and Chicago 1 will be my first U2 show, too. :hyper:

If only they'd come to Australia again then I would see them. ('06 I wasn't even a U2 fan then.)

Enjoy the experience. :up:

Don't be too frantic over 'OMG I need to be taking pictures!', for example. If you get the chance to get your camera out, that's great. But if it's going to be too much work, just forget about it and enjoy the concert. Don't be stressing while you could be having a ton of fun!! :D

On that note -- keep in mind that everyone and their mother will be snapping photos and posting them on forums, Flicker, all over the internet the next day. You really don't need to take your own! My sister got pulled up on stage last tour, and the next day there were tons of pics of her on the net :lol:

ive been to every australian tour.....from 'under australian skies ( ive still got the t-shirt, doesnt fit any more though!) to Vertigo.....i hate to say it but i will...nothing will ever beat your first u2 experience.....so just ENJOY! be in every moment...it will pass quickly so savour the experience!

You have GAs....

This will be the most useful peice of advice, go to the mall and buy one of those folding lounge chairs that you can stick in a bag.

2555706_Folding_Chair_with_Carrying_Bag.jpg

That way the long day in the GA line, and it will be long if you weant to get close, will be enjoyable and not tire you out for the show. when the line prepares to enter the arena, about 1.5 hourse before the show starts, throw the chairs back in the bag and run them to your car or just ditch them, they can usually be found for under $10.00 each...

You will come back here to interference and worship me, lol!

Oh, and have the time of your life and soak it all in!

So, to get to the point, does anybody have any kind of suggestions for ways to make the experience even more enjoyable than I know it will be? I'm really excited about going to see them but also a bit nervous because I've never gone to a concert this big before! Thanks for your time, I appreciate it :wave:

All great advice so far, especially about not stressing about taking pictures.

My advice is that if you plan to get really close, like in Bono's Crab Shack, MANAGE YOUR BLADDER!

Be sure to go to the bathroom just before you get into the stadium and remember that it can be difficult to get back to your spot if you have to leave to go.

Another option is wearing Depends absorbing undergarments. Most of the women (Rail Skanks) you'll see hugging the front row are wearing them. They'll never admit here. Many of them will loose bladder control when Bono (well really Adam and Larry) comes out, so it's just practical anyway.

:lol:

But seriously, just relax and enjoy it. Anywhere in GA or the stadium should be a great view. I would try for close the first night and then stand at the back of the GA the second night.

Mark

I wouldn't stress about being front row. As a few others stated anywhere is a good place to be.

I went to my first U2 show when I was in high school. It was my first ever rock concert. Enjoy it to the fullest extent! You'll remember it for the rest of your life!

Since you'll be with your parents, you might not be able to have the same kind if fun I did at the show! :hyper:

If I could do anything over again for my first U2 show, it would be not checking the setlists ahead of time. It's one thing to do that when you're a veteran concertgoer, and another when you're young and having your first experience of the band. If you've already done that, as I many people here have, I'd suggest trying to put whatever you anticipate out of your mind before the show. To me, it's better when I don't think about what song is coming next.

My advice- don't get too focused on anything in particular for the show: bringing a camera? You'll get some good shots, but don't spend the entire show taking pictures...Trying for front row? Get there early but don't be bummed if you're not right on the rail...Just enjoy it and take it all in....

heres my advice, based on speaking to someone from within the music business. I am assuming you are GA....if not...then this counts for nothing. DO NOT go down the front. You need to be at least halfway back to be able to appreciate the full impact of the whole 360 concept.
apart from that, you just go along and dont be afraid to enjoy yourself. Get lost in the music:up::up:

its my first u2 concert too, but been to loads of gigs, whats the audience in the GA like, because at oasis its not great throwing stuff lager/urine over the place, id assume and hope that its not like that at a u2 gig

its well known that at any oasis concert (at least in britain anyway), you're going to have a good percentage of beer swilling hooligans in the crowd. I have a few friends who've seen oasis and have been the victim of a drunken punching. from what ive read, U2 crowds are a very respectable bunch, and any problems, if at all, are generally isolated incidents that are few and far between.

its my first u2 concert too, but been to loads of gigs, whats the audience in the GA like, because at oasis its not great throwing stuff lager/urine over the place, id assume and hope that its not like that at a u2 gig

I am surmising that Lager is alcohol but I have to ask ....how in the world does someone throw their "urine" around:huh::huh:

yeah lager is alcohol. in some concerts people don't bother going to the toilet and just do it in their plastic glasses and throw it in the air, its disgusting, but it happens, its just a british gig thing i assume. Its just drunken people who do it, and it doesnt happen at every gig, but it does happen :huh:

If I could do anything over again for my first U2 show, it would be not checking the setlists ahead of time. It's one thing to do that when you're a veteran concertgoer, and another when you're young and having your first experience of the band. If you've already done that, as I many people here have, I'd suggest trying to put whatever you anticipate out of your mind before the show. To me, it's better when I don't think about what song is coming next.

This is a great point. To me it would take away the excitement of going to my first show.

To that point, avoid the boots if you can as well. I basically put ALL U2 bootlegs on temporary hiatus on my iPhone until after the show. I would allow myself to listen to NLOTH, but no concert recordings whatsoever. You'll completely enjoy yourself much more. Trust me, when I heard (song name edited out) and (song name edited out) (totally not expecting to hear either on this tour) it just made it much more wonderful for me.

On a more practical note, I have to reiterate what someone else said about bladder management....especially if you have GA and are going for the pit. For Dublin 3 we stopped most of our liquid intake except for small sips of water here and there at around noon in the queue, and made our final toilet break at around 3:30....right before they began to let people in. We were comfortable, not overly dehydrated, and didn't have to "go" until we got back to the hotel at around 1am. And that includes our 9 y/o who went with us ;)

Back
Top Bottom