A question about the end of the tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gunsnroses

The Fly
With three stages roaming at the same time is it likely U2 will leave a stage in NJ/NY and actually end the tour there? I just cant see U2 ending the US tour in Minnysota.

Minnesota (with an E, thankyouverymuch) should be the final date. (And I say that only because I already have a ticket.)

They've ended the tour in non-obvious (for lack of a better term) places in the past. Portland for Vertigo, Vancouver for the last 360 leg. It doesn't have to end in some giant place.

Minnesota (with an E, thankyouverymuch) should be the final date. (And I say that only because I already have a ticket.)

They've ended the tour in non-obvious (for lack of a better term) places in the past. Portland for Vertigo, Vancouver for the last 360 leg. It doesn't have to end in some giant place.

I agree with Cori! :D ( I have a ticket too!:shifty:)

Cool. i want it to end there too. I was just curious what the climate was on this forum.

I think there's been some pondering about if there will be shows added to the leg next summer, but there wasn't like a big outcry of people being all butthurt that it was ending in a relatively small city. :wink:

Mostly, there is just a rush of people getting tickets for Minni now. If anything, we will have a great get together! If they add shows after, that's ok too!!

I'm talking about final shows of various legs of the tour. Portland was the last show of the fall/winter US leg.

Hawaii was an entire year later, delayed and coming after another leg of the tour, and obviously a huge show and a huge "destination" concert, so it doesn't factor into the point I was trying to make. ;)

Just for kicks, though:

Boy Tour Leg One - ended in Paris
Leg Two - Philadelphia
Leg Three - Paris
Leg Four - Asbury Park, New Jerzee (NYC metro area)
Leg Five - London

All except Asbury Park were "destinations", and Asbury Park was in the metro area of a "destination".

October Tour Leg One - Berlin
Leg Two - Lido Beach, New York (Long Island)
Leg Three - Dublin
Leg Four - San Fransisco
Leg Five - Turku, Finland

Berlin, Dublin, and San Fransisco are "destinations", and Lido Beach is near NYC. I've never heard of Turku, but it was a festival.

Pre-War Tour - Dublin
War Tour Leg One - Bourges, France
Leg Two - New York
Leg Three - Oslo
Leg Four - Tokyo

All except Bourges are pretty obvious.

TUF Leg One - Perth
Leg Two - Dortmund
Leg Three - Long Beach, California (Los Angeles metro area)
Leg Four - Paris
Leg Five - Fort Lauderdale (Miami metro area)
Leg Six - Cork (festival)

COH - East Rutherford (NYC)

TJT Leg One - East Rutherford, again
Leg Two - Cork
Leg Three - Tempe, Arizona

Lovetown Leg One - Osaka
Lovetown Leg Two - Rotterdam (originally Dublin)

ZooTV Leg One - Vancouver
Leg Two - Manchester
Leg Three - Mexico City
Leg Four - Dublin
Leg Five - Tokyo

PopMart Leg One - Foxborough, Massachusetts (Boston)
Leg Two - Tel Aviv
Leg Three - Seattle
Leg Four - Johannesburg

Elevation Leg One - East Rutherford (NYC)
Leg Two - Slane (Dublin)
Leg Three - Miami

Vertigo Leg One - Boston
Leg Two - Lisbon
Leg Three - Portland, Oregon
Leg Four - Buenos Aires
Leg Five - Honolulu

So, generally U2 prefer "destination"-ish places to close tour legs, but less expected cities (such as Portland or Minneapolis) are possible. They also really like to close in New York, Dublin, Tokyo, and Paris.

Oh my goodness, I wasn't trying to start a big thing by saying that. I was just saying that they didn't always end in a gigantic city.

I can't believe you went all the way back to the beginning - do you think there were fans back in 1981 who traveled cross-country to "destination" shows?

I mean, anything is possible. It just seems funny to be pulling data about "destination tour leg ending cities" back when hardly anyone knew who they were. :lol:

I know you said "just for kicks," but I can't help it.

(Edit: Sorry - I think that all came out a lot bitchier than I intended. :) )

I disagree with Minneapolis not being a major destination! Hell, the Mall of America is there! It may not be as major as some others, but it does have a lot going for it. Perhaps though, that was just how they were able to work it out. It may not have been the intended last date, but I am sure rescheduling was a nightmare!!

Cori....:hug:

The Joshua Tree tour was actually supposed to end with 2 arena shows in Hampton, Virginia... not a major city by any means. The Phoenix stadium shows were scheduled later, and only for R&H filming needs. (Fans were only charged $5 or less. This not only got the stadium filled twice, but compensated the fans for seeing a show where the band was playing for the cameras more than the audience.)

And actually, JT tour was supposed to briefly visit South America in December, but that was abandoned due to cost. (Dec 20,21 were the dates for Buenos Aires).

Oh my goodness, I wasn't trying to start a big thing by saying that. I was just saying that they didn't always end in a gigantic city.

I can't believe you went all the way back to the beginning - do you think there were fans back in 1981 who traveled cross-country to "destination" shows?

I mean, anything is possible. It just seems funny to be pulling data about "destination tour leg ending cities" back when hardly anyone knew who they were. :lol:

I know you said "just for kicks," but I can't help it.

(Edit: Sorry - I think that all came out a lot bitchier than I intended. :) )

It's okay. I'm a nerd. :D

That wouldn't surprise me. I am actually expecting it. However, until they announce them, I will enjoy this!:wink:

I guess it'll depend on how long they want to keep this tour going. Would they really add another leg after the make-up leg? Just keep touring indefinitely? Adding legs after legs .... :lol:

They'll add some dates after Minniapolis. Wait and see.

I'm still holding out hope for a Cleveland or Columbus show. :pray:

I was sorta hoping they'd announce more NA dates with the release of the rescheduled show dates, but since it's still a year away, odds are if they ARE adding to the NA leg, it hasn't been all squared away yet. :hmm:

I guess it'll depend on how long they want to keep this tour going. Would they really add another leg after the make-up leg? Just keep touring indefinitely? Adding legs after legs .... :lol:

Like you said before, this may end up being the end by default. I don't see them going back to Europe again.

The Joshua Tree tour was actually supposed to end with 2 arena shows in Hampton, Virginia... not a major city by any means. The Phoenix stadium shows were scheduled later, and only for R&H filming needs. (Fans were only charged $5 or less. This not only got the stadium filled twice, but compensated the fans for seeing a show where the band was playing for the cameras more than the audience.)

And actually, JT tour was supposed to briefly visit South America in December, but that was abandoned due to cost. (Dec 20,21 were the dates for Buenos Aires).

Technically the Joshua Tree tour was supposed to end in Australia in Feb/March 1988 but they scrapped it to work on the Rattle and Hum project. The Lovetown tour down under and in Japan was sort of make up dates for the JT tour being scrapped.

S. America is where they planned to film the stadium color footage for Rattle And Hum as you pointed out and it was scrapped due to touring costs to get the production gear needed to film properly at that time to S. America. But the tour was not suppose to end their originally.

To the topic at hand. My guess is the tour will end in Minneapolis. They finished the the U.S./Canadian Vertigo tour in Portland Oregon. Just worked that way in the schedule of what venue was available and the logistics of moving the gear. I think that is what is happening here. There will be more dates announced but they will be in S. America, Australia and Mexico BEFORE this leg.

I seriously doubt they will return to Europe again either UNLESS they release a full new album in 2011. Then all bets are off, and there may be additional dates everywhere. Don't hold your breath though! ;)

Back
Top Bottom