A love letter to The Claw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ggabyt

Babyface
A love letter to The Claw.

I'm a ZOOTV and PopMart veteran. I remember walking out of those shows with a smile glued to my face after witnessing what was, at the time, the pinnacle of big-time rock stadium spectacle done right. I loved both tours tremendously and enjoyed the technical pummeling U2 had given me on both occasions. But what I witnessed at Soldier Field on Sept 12th and 13th was beyond my expectations.

U2 360 introduces the audience to U2 biggest new band member: The Claw. Amazing that U2's design team was able to transform all of that steel, wiring, and technology into something that I have absolutely fallen in love with. Standing 164 feet tall, this awe-inducing, steel monster of a set piece, is the single most amazing element I've ever seen in live entertainment. For those of you that haven't had the privilege of an up close and personal meeting, discount the idea that I might be over-hyping U2's new tour accessory. That's not possible. When you enter the stadium before show time, you will look up. You will then pause for a moment to allow your mind to come to grips with what it is exactly that you are seeing. Then you'll gasp.

And please don't tell me you've already seen pictures. Pictures don't matter. Pictures don't carry any weight. Pictures don't convey the true measure of intimidation that The Claw exhibits. No, the new King Kong of rock must be seen in person to understand it's true power.

For over 2 hours, It literally dominates the senses. Moving from one area of the color wheel to the next, each U2 song perfectly complemented and awash in breathtaking color and light. Lights that shot up into the sky, lights that whipped around the other 65,000 concert goers, lights that mimicked the endless sea of stars that we sat under that night. It was one amazing set piece after another.

And I've not even mentioned the brilliant take on the clichéd concert video screen. Somehow the video of each band member was cut and shot in a way that it appeared we were watching a professional concert film rather a live concert. Expertly done and genius in its execution. And when the screen begins to cascade down - slowly uncurling itself and descending down upon U2 like a monstrous neon accordion - you are seeing an image that will live on in the annals of stadium rock forever. A visual marker of this stage of U2's brilliant career that will sit side by side along with the flashing verbiage of ZooTV, the giant Arch of PopMart, and the Heart shaped inner sanctum of Elevation.

But the real beauty on display here - the real triumph of the 360 Tour - is the fact that our favorite band from Dublin can play underneath this massive piece of art, this true Space Oddity, and not once be dwarfed by its scale.

In fact, the exact opposite is true - U2 has never resonated more with me during a performance. Saturday night, I stood in General Admission, not more than 15 feet from outer ring. Sunday night I was in section 230 - across the stadium on Edge's side, with a perfect view of the entire spectacle. This is the first time I've ever been to a concert and felt more connected to the experience having been further away from the band. The first time I would recommend not getting too close. Sunday night, I realized just how much of the experience I missed on Saturday night. How much beauty and art I was unable to soak in as the songs and the visuals turned into one perfect thing. 23 times in a row.

Chicagoans are used to beauty on the lakefront, but for two nights the famous Chicago skyline came in a distant second. I'll never forget it.

I wish i had seen the claw from a distance during the show but i was right upfront. It was amazing from there but feel i missed on the spectacle from a distance.

Seeing Bono's silhouette in the burning red/orange lights during the Unforgettable Fire might have been the greatest concert experience for me.

360 Tour :drool:

A love letter to The Claw.

I'm a ZOOTV and PopMart veteran. I remember walking out of those shows with a smile glued to my face after witnessing what was, at the time, the pinnacle of big-time rock stadium spectacle done right. I loved both tours tremendously and enjoyed the technical pummeling U2 had given me on both occasions. But what I witnessed at Soldier Field on Sept 12th and 13th was beyond my expectations.

U2 360 introduces the audience to U2 biggest new band member: The Claw. Amazing that U2's design team was able to transform all of that steel, wiring, and technology into something that I have absolutely fallen in love with. Standing 164 feet tall, this awe-inducing, steel monster of a set piece, is the single most amazing element I've ever seen in live entertainment. For those of you that haven't had the privilege of an up close and personal meeting, discount the idea that I might be over-hyping U2's new tour accessory. That's not possible. When you enter the stadium before show time, you will look up. You will then pause for a moment to allow your mind to come to grips with what it is exactly that you are seeing. Then you'll gasp.

And please don't tell me you've already seen pictures. Pictures don't matter. Pictures don't carry any weight. Pictures don't convey the true measure of intimidation that The Claw exhibits. No, the new King Kong of rock must be seen in person to understand it's true power.

For over 2 hours, It literally dominates the senses. Moving from one area of the color wheel to the next, each U2 song perfectly complemented and awash in breathtaking color and light. Lights that shot up into the sky, lights that whipped around the other 65,000 concert goers, lights that mimicked the endless sea of stars that we sat under that night. It was one amazing set piece after another.

And I've not even mentioned the brilliant take on the clichéd concert video screen. Somehow the video of each band member was cut and shot in a way that it appeared we were watching a professional concert film rather a live concert. Expertly done and genius in its execution. And when the screen begins to cascade down - slowly uncurling itself and descending down upon U2 like a monstrous neon accordion - you are seeing an image that will live on in the annals of stadium rock forever. A visual marker of this stage of U2's brilliant career that will sit side by side along with the flashing verbiage of ZooTV, the giant Arch of PopMart, and the Heart shaped inner sanctum of Elevation.

But the real beauty on display here - the real triumph of the 360 Tour - is the fact that our favorite band from Dublin can play underneath this massive piece of art, this true Space Oddity, and not once be dwarfed by its scale.

In fact, the exact opposite is true - U2 has never resonated more with me during a performance. Saturday night, I stood in General Admission, not more than 15 feet from outer ring. Sunday night I was in section 230 - across the stadium on Edge's side, with a perfect view of the entire spectacle. This is the first time I've ever been to a concert and felt more connected to the experience having been further away from the band. The first time I would recommend not getting too close. Sunday night, I realized just how much of the experience I missed on Saturday night. How much beauty and art I was unable to soak in as the songs and the visuals turned into one perfect thing. 23 times in a row.

Chicagoans are used to beauty on the lakefront, but for two nights the famous Chicago skyline came in a distant second. I'll never forget it.

Damn that was good:up::up:

I :heart: it when you said

"The King Kong Of Rock":applaud:

This thread wins.

We have on our hands by far the greatest stage design ever created by anyone for any purpose. I think the whole tour is moving in a very similar direction as it evolves.

One definitely must see it from about halfway back, or the seats. It's stunning.

Agreed. I was lucky enough to have Red Zone for CHI One, but this is the first time I ever thought to myself at a U2 concert that I wanted to farther away. I felt like I missed half the show.

PartyGirl43 *reformed rail skank*

Agreed. I was lucky enough to have Red Zone for CHI One, but this is the first time I ever thought to myself at a U2 concert that I wanted to farther away. I felt like I missed half the show.

PartyGirl43 *reformed rail skank*

Ok, you've won me over. Anyone want to trade my RZ tickets for some $30 nosebleeds :lol:

I remember seeing the Claw from the train about a mile away and getting excited at seeing the size of it from that distance.

We have seats for Vegas along the mid-back section on Adam's side. Looking over on GA and across to the Claw, can't wait to see the view from there as we'll be able to see the Vegas skyline in the back! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom