2011 tour rumours/discussion/timothius memorial thread, part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not quite sure what your second sentence is about - can you elaborate a bit?

A "360" tour where the audience can only really see 25% of the stage. Projections of light on the claw itself would have to be done from the ground. All walkways behind Larry would be fairly useless. Nobody could see the lights embedded in the stage and walkway. All PA would have to be hung ont he front and have relay towers in the crowd. This venue would almost certainly have the seats furthest from the stage(perth #2?)

Plus it also means they can't say Norway and other countries/cities don't have an applicable venue.

they've already done end on shows. the show in phoenix in particular had a big black curtain hung behind the stage. nice wasn't dissimilar either. besides, what's stopping them from putting the stage in the middle of the field? then just hang the pa the way it always is, and they've used relay towers for extra sound impact on the last leg of the tour - i can't remember exactly if they'd done it in 2009.

i can't speak for every venue, but a quarter of the projections onto the claw in auckland were done from the ground. i paid extra attention to it to see if it detracted from the projection, it was fine.

they've already done end on shows. the show in phoenix in particular had a big black curtain hung behind the stage. nice wasn't dissimilar either. besides, what's stopping them from putting the stage in the middle of the field? then just hang the pa the way it always is, and they've used relay towers for extra sound impact on the last leg of the tour - i can't remember exactly if they'd done it in 2009.

i can't speak for every venue, but a quarter of the projections onto the claw in auckland were done from the ground. i paid extra attention to it to see if it detracted from the projection, it was fine.

I call those shows(Phoenix & Dublin) "270" shows. Not sure if Phoenix was sales related. The show in Nice France had a weird set up. Montreal may also be a mostly GA setup.

This show may not have any stands available to the general public beyond some VIPs and wheelchairs. Virtually every audience member will have a front on, ground level view which does chance the "show" a bit.

It may also be one price point(all tix $99?) virtually everyone has to be there all day to get a decent spot which is for the most part unique to this show(Italy 150,000 in 97 the other?)

i think you'll find that might just be the name of the site. looks acceptably flat to me.

not quite sure what your second sentence is about - can you elaborate a bit?

YouTube - Photostory: The Rolling Stones / Moncton, NB / Sept. 3 2005

Slide show of the Stones stage set up in Moncton. There does seem to be slight incline on most of the site. The band stage can have tiny slant, but the upper claw and saddle screen may need to be as flat a possible so it can move up and down.

I wonder if such huge weight of the claw on 4 presice pressure points is another issue. Stadiums all have concrete underneath.

Well it wouldn't be a huge deal to just level off the claw...higher on one end or side. I can buy that the screen needs to be level to expand and contract properly, that makes sense, but I would imagine not every field in the world is perfectly flat, so they must have some sort of levelling mechanism either already in place or as a backup.

I think the whole festivfal site is flat.
If not, the particular flat spot for the concert stages certainly is big enough to put the claw on it.

The Tragically Hip | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Stage and grandstand should be flat, 20-25 feet higher from the ground on one side than the other. Crowd do appear to be on an incline.

Though for the claw, minor landscaping or some concrete blocks should be a blt to do the trick. The u2 stage could probably be at an angle.

why would u2 book a show at a venue where they knew they couldn't accommodate their stage? i just don't see the point stressing about speculation (especially if you haven't been there to know just how steep the incline supposedly is) as if u2 are too stupid to do any research on this and just blindly books gigs wherever.

why would u2 book a show at a venue where they knew they couldn't accommodate their stage? i just don't see the point stressing about speculation (especially if you haven't been there to know just how steep the incline supposedly is) as if u2 are too stupid to do any research on this and just blindly books gigs wherever.

It's a huge part of Canada they've never played that doesn't have a giant stadium. Stones/ACDC each did 85,000 and u2 will do the same to add $8mil to their worldwide gross.

The venue had hold their stage, it'll just need some minor/major modifications.

Norman and Montreal each had to do some modifications to stage/setup to make those shows work. Check out the setup photos for the Norman Oklahoma show "sideways" configuration with soundboard in the stands walkway right infont of seating!!

It's a huge part of Canada they've never played that doesn't have a giant stadium. Stones/ACDC each did 85,000 and u2 will do the same to add $8mil to their worldwide gross.

The venue had hold their stage, it'll just need some minor/major modifications.

Norman and Montreal each had to do some modifications to stage/setup to make those shows work. Check out the setup photos for the Norman Oklahoma show "sideways" configuration with soundboard in the stands walkway right infont of seating!!

Norman was a great show...it seemed very 'intimate'

Nice, Poland, and Milan were like that as well.

Miami will be like that for some reason.

Nice, Poland, and Milan were like that as well.

Miami will be like that for some reason.

I think all concerts held at Sun Life Stadium in Miami though have been in that configuration from my knowledge. Guess the backstage area is more accessible.

I think all concerts held at Sun Life Stadium in Miami though have been in that configuration from my knowledge. Guess the backstage area is more accessible.

Just looked up the TM.com seating map. My guess is that it has to do with "club seats" or the expensive box suites.

P1000031 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Looks like the Police 2007 was slightly different.

Looks like Coachella(April 15 weekend) may be in the market for a new headliner now that Kings of Leon cancelled shows through March. Drummer needs 3 months to recover and their next series of dates a big Euro tour starting May 28th.

U2 are a possible replacement. Like Glastonbury 2010 it would have been festival goers rather than being over run with the travelling U2 fan caravan.

I think I'm going to re-arrange my summer schedule and try to make this show. That means, fly into Montreal for 4 days for those concerts and forgo the Meadowlands show. Then fly back east for 2 weeks and take one week to hang in the Maritimes.

Finally I don't have to travel for 9+ hours to see U2 OR Arcade Fire. THis is beyond amazing.

Back
Top Bottom