2011 Tour Rumours/Discussion Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose for the start of the new thread, it might be a good idea to sum up all the current rumours. This is off the top of my head - if I've forgotten anything, please add it!

SOUTH AFRICA: February 2011. Promoter says there will be a big announcement on Monday, 18 October at 9am local time and they are using very poorly disguised 360 Tour imagery. Dates may be 2011-02-13, Johannesburg and 2011-02-19, Cape Town.
(Status: All but confirmed.)

SOUTH AMERICA: March and April 2011. Announcement rumoured to be imminent; however, rumours of it being on 13 or 14 October have not come true. Concert dates rumoured to be 2011-03-25 & 26, Santiago, Chile; 2011-03-31 & 2011-04-01, Buenos Aires, Argentina; and 2011-04-07 & 08, Sao Paulo, Brazil, with Muse as opening act.
(Status: Rumours are extremely strong, from many sources. Tour should happen, but where's that announcement?)

NORTH AMERICA: Multiple extra dates are rumoured to be added to the tour schedule. U2.com accidentally "announced" that U2 would play Baltimore on 2011-06-22, then quietly removed it from an otherwise unrelated article. Nashville is rumoured for 2011-07-02. Boston is rumoured with no specific date.
(Status: Baltimore looks certain; Nashville looks likely; Boston, who knows.)

GLASTONBURY: The official line-up, according to the Glastonbury Festival website, won't be announced until the Northern spring. However, U2.com left a whopping great big hint that U2 will be in the 2011 festival line-up.
(Status: Odds are good.)

EUROPE: Rumours have been circulating of the tour ending with a short leg through Europe after the end of the North American leg. There have been specific rumours for a while of U2 playing Aviva Stadium in Dublin to end the tour in October. Latest rumour suggests 10 dates, including Dublin, Belfast, Paris and/or Amsterdam, and 6x UK (although some suggest there has been a bit of confusion and it should be "6x UK - not forgetting Belfast is in the UK!" or "6x UK and Ireland").
(Status: Bit too vague at the moment. Don't hold your breath, but don't dismiss it either. Remember, U2 were reserving stadiums for a 2002 stadium tour to end Elevation, and that never happened.)

ASIA: No rumours. When the Aussie leg was rumoured to be in either Nov/Dec 2010 or early 2011, a corresponding rumour suggested that, if the tour was in early 2011, it would also include dates in South Korea and Japan. Ever since the Aussie leg was confirmed for late 2010 with no associated Asian dates, there have been no further credible rumours of concerts anywhere in Asia.
(Status: Sorry, Asia.)

SLANE & DATES IN 2012: Vague rumours have suggested U2 might play at Slane again, and that there may even be live dates in 2012. No firm details.
(Status: Weak rumour, easily the weakest of the bunch. Don't get excited yet.)

NEW STUDIO MATERIAL: Go blow your brains out here: Where The Album Has No Name - U2 Feedback
(Status: Won't believe it until it's in my hot little hands ... in 2042.)

Thanks for the recap, Ax. I hadn't heard anything recently about Dublin.

I'd just like to know one way or the other so my Ireland trip isn't in limbo for too much longer.

Great recap from Axver!

Let's hope we can officially remove South Africa from the rumor list on Monday.

I have a bizarre faith in the accuracy of the Axver Rumourometer! Well for gigs at least, not so sure about your prediction for the new album :)

Thanks Ax for the recap. You always are quite accurate on how strong rumours are so I hope you're right this time as well. Though Dublin could be using a little more optimism there. :wink:

the only thing that can explain (at least for me) the delay on the southamerican announcement is that Paul McCartney is playing here in November, and the tickets are beign sold RIGHT NOW

he's playing in Argentina and Brasil, not in Chile because he wanted to play here on November 7th, and that day is the "classic" of the chilean footbal-soccer league in the National Atadium (Estadio Nacional), and the Football Asociation here didn't want to change the fixture... so we got screwed.

so, sure, U2 can announce they come to Chile and the ticket will sell, but they WILL announce the 3 countries at once, they just have to wait a little longer because of Macca

but that's what I think

The whole fiasco with sorting out what venue to play in Argentina can't have helped either. I've suspected for a while that that's the primary cause for delay.

The whole fiasco with sorting out what venue to play in Argentina can't have helped either. I've suspected for a while that that's the primary cause for delay.

They'll play in Cristina Kirchner's backyard.

the only thing that can explain (at least for me) the delay on the southamerican announcement is that Paul McCartney is playing here in November, and the tickets are beign sold RIGHT NOW

he's playing in Argentina and Brasil, not in Chile because he wanted to play here on November 7th, and that day is the "classic" of the chilean footbal-soccer league in the National Atadium (Estadio Nacional), and the Football Asociation here didn't want to change the fixture... so we got screwed.

so, sure, U2 can announce they come to Chile and the ticket will sell, but they WILL announce the 3 countries at once, they just have to wait a little longer because of Macca

but that's what I think

Off topic, but Paul McCartney has some 10 day gap between Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo. Wouldn't be surprised if Chile has a date at the last minute because they're putting tickets on sale 3 weeks before showday.

Same here, though I think U2's going to play at River Plate Stadium as usual.

They'll play in Cristina Kirchner's backyard.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom