2011 Tour Rumours/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys.:hug:

But my workplace only allows me 13 off-days per year. So I'll be using all of them for the NA shows that you see in my sig.

So if the band tours Australia/NZ at the beginning of next year, then I'll have to sacrifice at least two of next year's NA shows (which I do not wish to do) if I decide to follow them Down Under.:(

I have 6 days of vacation left for this year. So I intend to use them if the band does go to Australia this December.

But if the Australian leg isn't until next year, I'll use those 6 days to head to Rome for the wrap-up of the European leg.:)

Either way, I'll finally get to see U2 outside of NA.:hyper:

Maybe he means next December? What if it was this year :hyper: :faint: :hyper:

I think they meant THIS December, according to this recent article -
U2 360 World Tour Coming To Australia In Summer 2010 | Tours | Music Feed

Last week we announced that U2 were coming to Australia in the summer but what we didn't say was which summer.
Well, all indications look like it's going to be this summer! Our music reporter Nui Te Koha told Triple M's Hot Breakfast that U2 look very, very likely at being here in November/December 2010.
"They're going to do Europe, South America and that's where Australia fits in before they head back to America next year," said Nui. "I spoke to the promoter Michael Coppel to see what kind of scale it is and he said it's incredibly huge. It's like that UFO in Close Encounters… It will stick out of the stadium and it will be a force to be reckoned with."

I reckon both Nov/Dec and Feb/Mar are "pencilled" in and dates will be determined once they see how Europe and BONO goes, before they decide exactly WHEN - but I do believe now its a matter of WHEN now and not IF - they are coming downunder :hyper: else I :sad:

I haven't given up yet on it being Feb/March (which is better for me personally!). When the American dates were first cancelled, someone (might have been the tour promoter?) said they decided to extend the tour into 2011 which they were "already considering doing". So if they weren't referring to Aus/South America where else could they be referring?

I haven't given up yet on it being Feb/March (which is better for me personally!). When the American dates were first cancelled, someone (might have been the tour promoter?) said they decided to extend the tour into 2011 which they were "already considering doing". So if they weren't referring to Aus/South America where else could they be referring?

:yikes: I was just checking prices for LAX to NZ. :huh:

I guess 2011 might be better if only so I can consider whether I could afford it.

dates dependent, but v australia can do lax - auckland return for us$1500

if i'm honest i don't know if that's good or not, but i'd consider that a freaking bargain in nzd.

For Vertigo NZ, I managed $800 USD (return) on Air New Zealand. That may have been a once in a lifetime deal. :angry:

dates dependent, but v australia can do lax - auckland return for us$1500

if i'm honest i don't know if that's good or not, but i'd consider that a freaking bargain in nzd.

sounds about right . . . one of the local travel companies here (flight centre??) in sydney had Syd to LAX for just under $1,000 return, taxes and all the other bells and whistles included :)

U2 viene en marzo a Chile y entradas salen a la venta a partir de septiembre | ENTRETENCIÓN | latercera.com

Here's an interesting article from a Chile newspaper. They seem very sure that U2 will be there March 2011 (no exact date yet) as well as shows in Brazil and Argentina, even going as far as to say that tickets will go on sale in the second week of September. They also say the tour was originally to have been October this year until Bono's injury happened.

Surely, if this is legit and South America is early next year, wouldn't that mean Aus/NZ/Japan would be too? I don't see them doing less than a dozen shows at the end of this year and then taking a few months off and doing another half dozen in South America and then having two months off again? Financially it would make more sense if they were all in one leg, just like on Popmart and how Vertigo was originally intended.

Thoughts?

The only possible reason I can see for them doing Australia/NZ/Japan a few months earlier is if they simply can't get the bookings here to align with those in South America, and the stages will just go into storage somewhere here until they are needed across the Pacific.

You'd think they'd do all they can to do it all in one leg though.

For Vertigo NZ, I managed $800 USD (return) on Air New Zealand. That may have been a once in a lifetime deal. :angry:
that's decent. last year i was able to get fares for $600 return, sfo-akl. i prefer v australia now because they work with delta so i can book from mem-akl, and also my luggage gets checked the whole way, so no waiting in line at customs in australia. oh and also with them i actually get frequent flyer miles.

U2 and Bono scheduled to perform in Santiago de Chile March 2011
Chileans will have a chance to see U2 in concert, as the popular Irish rock band, headed by singer Bono, plans to perform in Santiago in March 2011 as a part of its 360 Tour. It will be the band’s third show in Chile.

The band has held concerts twice before in Santiago, once in 1998 as a part of its PopMart tour, and once in 2006 for the Vertical Horizon tour. Between the two performances, crowd attendance totalled around 137,000 people — 60,000 and 77,000, respectively.
The event, which takes place in the newly renovated National Stadium in Ñuñoa, is expected to sell 65,000 tickets. Tickets for the concert will go on sale in the second week of September.
The band kicked off the 360 Tour in June 2009 in Barcelona, and continuing to European and North American stadiums. The band was forced to reschedule a majority of its performances from June 2010 onward after Bono underwent back surgery. The dates originally scheduled for 2010 were then pushed back to 2011, when the singer is expected to be fully recovered.
The band has made an estimated 311 million US dollars from the 44 dates played so far on the tour. The concert features a stage known as the “claw”, which allows viewing the band from all sides and angles.
U2, originally expected to hit South America in October, will now appear in spring 2011. The band will stop not only in Chile, but also in Brazil and Argentina.
By Kayla Ruble – Santiago Times

U2 and Bono scheduled to perform in Santiago de Chile March 2011 — MercoPress

ok there are just too many articles now for there not to be a tours for Australia & South America.

All we got to do is wait for the official dates to be announced..... ooooh I cant wait!

Another article:

U2 360 Tour News Article

Bono set to bring U2 back to Australia in December

July 27, 2010

Source: Courier-Mail

THE second week of December is firming as the window of U2's return to Brisbane, provided Bono bounces, ah... back from surgery.

Moves are under way to get the Irish rock monolith sorted for a Suncorp Stadium assault, the preferred venue after the Queensland Sports and Athletics Centre left a bad taste in the group's mouth in 2006.

It's understood police licensing have signed off on the event, however, a well-placed industry insider said U2 management were still awaiting a medical report on Bono's back before locking a date in.

The frontman's slipped disc, injured during rehearsal in Germany in May, has cost his insurance broker more than $18 million, The Sun has reported. This forced the cancellation of the band's "360 Degrees" tour, which had already made them the music world's biggest earners in 2009-10 with $130 million according to Forbes magazine.

It's been widely rumoured the Irish touring juggernaut will restart in Oz, where the lack of AFL and rugby league games over summer make it easier to book stadium dates at short notice.

(c) Courier-Mail, 2010.

The frontman's slipped disc, injured during rehearsal in Germany in May
This forced the cancellation of the band's "360 Degrees" tour
It's been widely rumoured the Irish touring juggernaut will restart in Oz

I see the quality of journalism and fact-checking has not improved since I last read the Crappier-Mail. If anything, it's somehow declined.

More articles again. I really wish u2 com will put dates up soon. Weather its next year or this year so we don't get our hopes up for dec like the press is saying .
It could be next year .
I remeber when The press was saying madonna was comming out she never did .

The most likely venue in Melbourne is etihad stadium (once telstra dome).
The condition of the turf there is poor following the acdc concerts earlier in the year, and is constantly in the news.
The AFL reportedly is negotiating with telstra dome management to no longer have concerts at the stadium after Christmas in order to give the turf time to recover for football (usually starts late march).
This may make december more likely in Melbourne, or a move to Aami park, a smaller, but rectangular, venue.

The most likely venue in Melbourne is etihad stadium (once telstra dome).
The condition of the turf there is poor following the acdc concerts earlier in the year, and is constantly in the news.
The AFL reportedly is negotiating with telstra dome management to no longer have concerts at the stadium after Christmas in order to give the turf time to recover for football (usually starts late march).
This may make december more likely in Melbourne, or a move to Aami park, a smaller, but rectangular, venue.

if they played at the missus they'd probably need to play five shows.

i'd have figured the mcg was a more likely bet.

I don't know where they got the whole "QSAC left a bad taste in their mouth" thing from. I had not heard anything about them having a bad experience there, quite the opposite actually!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom