2010 Leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why people don't just hop into a car and drive when a trip is relatively short (in the US anyway). I mean 300 or so miles doesn't take all that long (unless you are driving on a super busy main highway through heavily populated urban areas during the start of a holiday weekend...then it can be a little hairy :shifty: :lol: ), and it isn't all that expensive. With security and connections you generally have to deal with now on US flights, I'd even say driving a few hundred miles would get you to your destination faster than flying. :shrug:

did you miss the part where i mentioned cost? it isn't all about airfares, there's hotel, gas etc. not every single fucking u2 fan is cashed up and able to head off to dublin, boston or atlanta whenever they can.

did you miss the part where i mentioned cost? it isn't all about airfares, there's hotel, gas etc. not every single fucking u2 fan is cashed up and able to head off to dublin, boston or atlanta whenever they can.

Well, then. If you don't have enough dosh to fly to Dublin any day of the week, and hate Pop, and Bono's hair, you don't deserve to be a U2 fan :tsk:

I know about cost, sweetie. Not only do I live in the US, I also travel within it. And I'm by no means wealthy, so cost is always a factor. I also specified the travel was within the US -- not overseas.

But if someone goes to a concert 300 miles away, chances are very good they will probably factor in the cost of hotels, food, transportation (cab, bus, subway, rental car), no matter how they get to the city. So my point is on shorter trips (300 or so miles), why not spare the expense and hassle of flying and just fucking drive? If you have a car you can also book a cheap hotel a bit away from the venue, instead of being stuck booking whatever is close. And pack food instead of eating out. I just came back from a nine day, six venue, 2000 mile road trip to see a band and I am far from cashed up. By saving up and cutting my costs at every turn (bring my own food, bought no drinks at venues, especially booze as it's super expensive there, book mostly cheap hotels, etc.) I was able to hit that many shows.

And seriously, if you can't afford a hotel it's not that hard to drive to the venue, watch the fucking show, and then drive home again (still assuming 300 miles one way). Hell, I've done it. Solo. It's not that hard and it's cheap as it only costs a couple of tanks of gasoline.

If you are within the continental US you can get to shows relatively cheaply. You just have to be willing to scrimp and be flexible.

I know about cost, sweetie. Not only do I live in the US, I also travel within it. And I'm by no means wealthy, so cost is always a factor. I also specified the travel was within the US -- not overseas.

But if someone goes to a concert 300 miles away, chances are very good they will probably factor in the cost of hotels, food, transportation (cab, bus, subway, rental car), no matter how they get to the city. So my point is on shorter trips (300 or so miles), why not spare the expense and hassle of flying and just fucking drive? If you have a car you can also book a cheap hotel a bit away from the venue, instead of being stuck booking whatever is close. And pack food instead of eating out. I just came back from a nine day, six venue, 2000 mile road trip to see a band and I am far from cashed up. By saving up and cutting my costs at every turn (bring my own food, bought no drinks at venues, especially booze as it's super expensive there, book mostly cheap hotels, etc.) I was able to hit that many shows.

And seriously, if you can't afford a hotel it's not that hard to drive to the venue, watch the fucking show, and then drive home again (still assuming 300 miles one way). Hell, I've done it. Solo. It's not that hard and it's cheap as it only costs a couple of tanks of gasoline.

If you are within the continental US you can get to shows relatively cheaply. You just have to be willing to scrimp and be flexible.

because it is always that simple.

That sounds nice, but not everyone has a car, or has the possibility to drive it around cross-country. It's all relative.

because it is always that simple.

That sounds nice, but not everyone has a car, or has the possibility to drive it around cross-country. It's all relative.

Well holy fucking christ, of course not EVERYONE has the means and or ability to do anything, if you want to look at it that way. No, it's not ALWAYS that fucking simple, but on the other hand, yes, often it really is as fucking simple as figuring out other ways of getting what you want (which is what I suggested). And I think it's bloody obvious -- to anyone who is willing to think -- that they can come up with a solution which fits their situation. Of course, it is possible that the solution isn't the one they want -- ie, it might be "I don't go to see the band I like play this year or even this tour because I can't afford it or can't manage it", but that's just part of being an adult.

My suggestions were in response to people who find flying relatively short distances within the US cost prohibitive. One option (I never thought anyone would be literal enough to think I thought it was the ONLY possibility -- I mean what the fuck??), for those who have a driver's license and either a car or the possibility of renting a car (I rented a car), was driving to a show or shows instead of flying. If you don't have a car (or can't rent one), or have no license, or for some reason can't drive long distances, well, obviously they won't be able to do that. Who in the world doesn't understand that? :huh:

Sometimes people get so stuck on one way of doing things they don't even consider another option, and that's what I saw with all the posts on how expensive it is to fly within the US. But I'm soooo sorry -- I didn't realise I was supposed to post every single possible method of getting to shows within the entire world for my limited suggestion not to be brushed aside because "not everyone" can do it. I guess I thought offering one possible positive solution was better than just bitching. Oh silly me. Then again, this IS the U2 section of Interference, so I should have known that bitching is de rigueur .

:rolleyes:

Well holy fucking christ, of course not EVERYONE has the means and or ability to do anything, if you want to look at it that way. No, it's not ALWAYS that fucking simple, but on the other hand, yes, often it really is as fucking simple as figuring out other ways of getting what you want (which is what I suggested). And I think it's bloody obvious -- to anyone who is willing to think -- that they can come up with a solution which fits their situation. Of course, it is possible that the solution isn't the one they want -- ie, it might be "I don't go to see the band I like play this year or even this tour because I can't afford it or can't manage it", but that's just part of being an adult.

My suggestions were in response to people who find flying relatively short distances within the US cost prohibitive. One option (I never thought anyone would be literal enough to think I thought it was the ONLY possibility -- I mean what the fuck??), for those who have a driver's license and either a car or the possibility of renting a car (I rented a car), was driving to a show or shows instead of flying. If you don't have a car (or can't rent one), or have no license, or for some reason can't drive long distances, well, obviously they won't be able to do that. Who in the world doesn't understand that? :huh:

Sometimes people get so stuck on one way of doing things they don't even consider another option, and that's what I saw with all the posts on how expensive it is to fly within the US. But I'm soooo sorry -- I didn't realise I was supposed to post every single possible method of getting to shows within the entire world for my limited suggestion not to be brushed aside because "not everyone" can do it. I guess I thought offering one possible positive solution was better than just bitching. Oh silly me. Then again, this IS the U2 section of Interference, so I should have known that bitching is de rigueur .

:love:

I know what you mean. Last tour I went to Chicago and checked out flights, and they were around $600 to $700 each, for two of us. Flying from (and inside) Canada is very expensive, too. It's an 8 hour drive from here, which I didn't want, so I did some investigating. I found that I could drive just over 90 minutes to Port Huron, Michigan, get on a train there that would take us direct to Chicago FOR $50 RETURN each. Lord, I can't even go to Toronto by train from here (just over an hour away) that cheaply. So yeah, that's what we did. It was a 5 - 6 hour train ride, but it only cost us around $100 and less than a tank of gas, as opposed to nearly $1,500.

It's obviously not possible in every case, but sometimes you can save significant money by being a little creative.

Jesus... Take a chill pill, honey.

As I mentioned in the post, the idea is nice, glad you took advantage of it, and I for one have nothing against it, but it can't be applied to everyone. No big deal.

I will so be at that show :love:

Me too, I know it will happen. U2 hasn't ever overlooked Montreal, have they? I know they love it there...they had a private party for all the tour staff there last tour.

they can come up with a solution which fits their situation. Of course, it is possible that the solution isn't the one they want -- ie, it might be "I don't go to see the band I like play this year or even this tour because I can't afford it or can't manage it", but that's just part of being an adult. [/I].

You're expecting adult responses here? :lol:

[/QUOTE]

:love:

I know what you mean. Last tour ......it only cost us around $100 and less than a tank of gas, as opposed to nearly $1,500.

It's obviously not possible in every case, but sometimes you can save significant money by being a little creative.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I think Indra is a just a bit peeved that people would necessarily assume that someone who rearranged their affairs, cut corners and got resourceful to be able to attend multiple U2 shows is somehow some overprivileged spoiled rich brat who can afford to do it while the rest of us grovel around to just be able to attend one show. Driving, bus and train are your friend. You also just have to be willing to 'rough it' to get what you really want. And, a bit of faith. I've driven hundreds of miles without a ticket in hand. Sometimes you just gotta believe and make it happen for yourself.

My 2c. People from Asia, Africa, South America and parts of Eastern Europe have the right to gripe. There is a huge U2 fanbase in Eastern Europe in particular and U2 haven't played there very often.

Everyone else, well, hmm. Most of North America and Western Europe get very good coverage comparatively. If you live in North America or Western Europe and you really and truly cannot attend a gig I have to assume it isn't that important to you.

In other words I agree with Indra.

ah, the "if you really want it, it will happen" crew. there's another forum member who said something very, very similar and if you knew who it was you'd pounce on them and bitch them out for saying it.

You're wrong there...it wouldn't matter who said that to me, if it's something that rings true, I'd agree. Things don't just 'happen', though. Ya gotta make em happen and where there's a will, there's a way, is my point ;)

ah, the "if you really want it, it will happen" crew. there's another forum member who said something very, very similar and if you knew who it was you'd pounce on them and bitch them out for saying it.

It's true that sometimes it's completely not possible, no matter what you do. I don't think that Indra was trying to say it's always possible and if you can't make it work you're just not trying hard enough, though. :)

My 2c. People from Asia, Africa, South America and parts of Eastern Europe have the right to gripe. There is a huge U2 fanbase in Eastern Europe in particular and U2 haven't played there very often.

Everyone else, well, hmm. Most of North America and Western Europe get very good coverage comparatively. If you live in North America or Western Europe and you really and truly cannot attend a gig I have to assume it isn't that important to you.

I feel badly for Canadians who don't live in southern Ontario, western Quebec, or southern BC. They have to travel hundreds or more likely thousands of miles to get to shows here, and as I said earlier, airfares in this country aren't cheap. We get three shows this tour so far, 2 in Toronto and 1 in Vancouver. Last tour they also played Montreal. That excludes a lot of Canadians. While some areas just don't have the population density to support shows, others do, but they're just passed by.

I have to agree with VP. Nowhere else on U2's regular 'circuit' is as expensive to travel within than Canada. The US and Europe enjoy flight prices we can only dream of, domestic flights here are so ridiculously expensive it's criminal. And gas ain't much better. Honestly if the 22 shows I saw last tour were all in Canada, I wouldn't have seen as many. Living near the border and nearer to many major US cities than most of Canada has it's advantages...when U2 is on tour... :wink:

Well, ok, but Canada is big. Hard to cover all of it sufficiently.

I also wouldn't assume it is necessarily cheap to fly within Europe. Depends on Ryanair or similar budget carriers. There are plenty of relatively inaccessible places.

I have to agree with VP. Nowhere else on U2's regular 'circuit' is as expensive to travel within than Canada. The US and Europe enjoy flight prices we can only dream of, domestic flights here are so ridiculously expensive it's criminal. And gas ain't much better. Honestly if the 22 shows I saw last tour were all in Canada, I wouldn't have seen as many. Living near the border and nearer to many major US cities than most of Canada has it's advantages...when U2 is on tour... :wink:

And the reason for such high prices goes back to the law of supply and demand. With only two airlines able to fly domestically, airlines are basically able to set whatever prices they choose, whereas in other countries including the U.S., consumers have a choice of half a dozen airlines at least.

It's why in almost all cases it's cheaper to fly from Toronto to Rome than Toronto to Vancouver, because we have a choice of many airlines to fly to Europe.

I also wouldn't assume it is necessarily cheap to fly within Europe. Depends on Ryanair or similar budget carriers. There are plenty of relatively inaccessible places.

I'm sure there are, but are they U2 tour stops? I did a little planning for a Euro leg when the tour was announced, and I was able to string together a multi-flight trip that would encompass 3 cities, 7 shows and back for the same price it would cost me to fly to PEI, and less than it would cost me to fly to BC. I ended up not being able to swing it, which is likely just as well. Try explaining to relatives that coming to see them will cost way more than going to see U2 on the other side of the world. :lol:

And the reason for such high prices goes back to the law of supply and demand. With only two airlines able to fly domestically, airlines are basically able to set whatever prices they choose, whereas in other countries including the U.S., consumers have a choice of half a dozen airlines at least.

It's why in almost all cases it's cheaper to fly from Toronto to Rome than Toronto to Vancouver, because we have a choice of many airlines to fly to Europe.

Yep, this is a huge problem here. I know people who didn't even bother booking their flights (to do multi Euro cities seeing U2) beyond getting across the ocean and back, because they would just show up at the airports in Europe and get on cheapo flights. That can't really happen here in Canada.

Question: is this 2010 leg also a stadium tour?

because, as a Baltimore native, I have 2 concerns:

1. Baltimore has taken a pretty decent hit from the economic situation. I'm curious if they could sell the proper amount of tickets for that show, especially considering it's in a secondary market.

2. When would these shows be? Because an outdoor show in Baltimore before the end of April sounds awfully frigid.

Edited to add: I would love to see how they could scale down this 360 tour into an Arena. A mini-claw!

Question: is this 2010 leg also a stadium tour?

because, as a Baltimore native, I have 2 concerns:

1. Baltimore has taken a pretty decent hit from the economic situation. I'm curious if they could sell the proper amount of tickets for that show, especially considering it's in a secondary market.

2. When would these shows be? Because an outdoor show in Baltimore before the end of April sounds awfully frigid.

Edited to add: I would love to see how they could scale down this 360 tour into an Arena. A mini-claw!

I would assume that 2010 dates will be more of the same - stadiums. The big selling point of the 360 Tour is The Claw itself, which literally has to be seen to be believed. Whatever the R+D costs were in creating it, I imagine they were vast, and so the band may as well show it off to maximum effect wherever they go. But, I suppose my question would then be - would the transportation costs for more distant territories (Australasia, Japan, S America) be so high as to be financially unsustainable? I hope not, for the sake of all those fans who can't get to the currently announced legs of the tour. Much as I would love another European leg next year, I certainly wouldn't expect one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom