Review: Snow Patrol at Roseland Ballroom, New York, Sept. 8, 2006*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265snowpatrolreview-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Carrie Alison, Chief Editor

Gary Lightbody, all spider limbs and breathlessly lovely vocals, has had an exhausting year.

First was the big come down from an opening stint on U2's Vertigo Tour in the spring of 2005. Then the recording of the new Snow Patrol album, "Eyes Open." After its May release, and success of early singles "Hands Open" and "You're All I Have," ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" utilizes single "Chasing Cars" to galvanizing effect during its heart-wrenching finale. Then there was the little business of polyps forming on Lightbody's vocal cords, threatening to effectively curtail worldwide buzz on the new album and canceling the initial tour in support of it. So he was ordered to pipe down for a month or so to heal that famous voice. Not an easy task for such an energetic, charismatic singer on the cusp of true stardom.

Thankfully Lighbody was given the go ahead in late summer to resume touring. As a coincidental reward, Snow Patrol would find "Eyes Open" top charts all over the world, and "Chasing Cars" all over the radio. At press time, "Eyes Open" is sitting pretty at number one on the British and Irish charts.

The Sept. 8 show at the cavernous Roseland Ballroom—a venue notorious for inspiring poor and subdued shows from even the most enigmatic bands (such as the Yeah Yeahs Yeahs)—went off without a hitch. Openers Martha Wainwright and San Diego's Augustana surprisingly played to a near-capacity crowd, and performed their daunting duties with style and effortless grace, though at times falling victim to the Roseland curse of muddled sound and indistinguishable vocals.

Bounding onto the stage for its first proper New York show in support of "Eyes Open," (the band played a warm-up gig at Bowery Ballroom in March), Snow Patrol roused the crowd from the start with a triple shot of "Final Straw" favorites, "Spitting Games," "Wow" and "Chocolate." The latter song finding a second life thanks to its inclusion on the new Zach Braff-produced soundtrack for "The Last Kiss."

11265snowpatrolreview.jpg

The big hit single, "Chasing Cars" turned up several songs later, announced as "a song you've all heard a couple times," but "dedicated to everyone in love and everyone else." With nary a hint of fatigue with the now ubiquitously popular ballad, the audience happily sang along to Lightbody's gorgeous "first true love song."

Perhaps it's a testament to both the strength of Snow Patrol's music and its passionate fan base that there are no waning moments in the band's performances, unlike bigger bands such as U2, Aerosmith and even Coldplay to an extent, that attract thousands of concert-goers who just want the hits, the T-shirt, a beer with a pretzel and just to say they were there. A Snow Patrol concert has no bathroom break songs, no weak tunes and no pretension from a band just trying to sell its new album. Lightbody, guitarist Nathan Connolly, bassist Paul Wilson, keyboardist Tom Simpson and drummer Jonny Quinn love what they do, believe in what they do, know where they come from and love their fans. It's not a rare sight to catch Connolly, Wilson and Simpson milling about before shows, happily chatting up adoring fans. They're nice blokes who don't date Oscar-winning actresses. In fact, there wasn't a single celebrity visible hanging around the VIP section, very unlike other bands of Snow Patrol's well-earned stature.

Further highlights of the remarkable show included eternal crowd-favorite "How to be Dead" from "Final Straw," a hypnotically epic "Make This Go on Forever," an album cut from "Eyes Open," and a stunningly rare and erotically-charged performance of "Set Fire to the Third Bar" which found angelic-voiced Wainwright reprising her album duet with Lightbody. Typical show-stopper (and the Patrol's first major "Chasing Cars"-level hit) "Run" followed with all house lights, arms and cell phones up. Lead single from "Eyes Open," "You're All I Have," followed, inciting a wave of unfettered joy from both the audience and the jovial, tireless Lightbody. Honestly, you'd never know that this was a man whom just a few months back had stared down the barrel of never singing again; his astonishing vocals never wavered, never cracked, and his lithe frame never stopped moving, just like the insatiable crowd on this warm September night.

If you weren't able to catch Friday's show, or any of its current North American leg, don't fear, Snow Patrol will return in February for another run.

For more information on Snow Patrol, including tour dates, music videos, message board and band blog, visit the official website or check out Interference.com's interview with the band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great review! I'm looking forward to seeing them at the end of this month at their rescheduled show in LA. Can't wait.

HelloAngel said:
Hey guys.. Thanks so much for reading my review..

Here's the performance of "Set Fire" from my New York show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNm5rAVpbA

That is a great review you posted HelloAngel but I was wondering if SP played "Somewhere A Clock is Ticking" at Roseland because that song was the obvious highlight of the show I saw 2 nights later.
I was up to up my hometown of NYC last weekend but unfortunately could not go to the concert because I was visiting family...I managed to drive back down Sunday to D.C. where I live now and see them at the 9:30 club here is the link someone put up on youtube..great audio and an intimate venue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_C-bGYpLw&mode=related&search=

buzzkill27 said:

That is a great review you posted HelloAngel but I was wondering if SP played "Somewhere A Clock is Ticking" at Roseland because that song was the obvious highlight of the show I saw 2 nights later.

They sure enough did! It was a shock... but so amazing! :)

Back
Top Bottom