Review: It Ain’t ‘Pretty’ for INXS in Myrtle Beach*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265inxs-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Robert J. Warren

When I first saw the previews for “Rock Star: INXS,” I felt my stomach turn. How dare they try to replace legendary lead singer Michael Hutchence and do so on of all things, a reality show? And expect us to take them seriously.

Boy was I wrong!

And INXS would continue to prove me wrong on two separate occasions before tonight, and I enjoyed paying for the pleasure each time.

Earlier this year, I got to see the development of a rock star in new lead singer J.D. Fortune. When I first saw the revamped INXS at the Masonic Theatre in Detroit in February of this year, he didn’t talk too much between songs. He didn’t move around the stage too much. But he did sing the songs with a vigor and enthusiasm. Three months later, when I saw them again at Minneapolis’ Orpheum Theatre, I barely recognized him. In just 100 short days, he became a full-fledged rock star—prancing around the stage, flirting with the ladies, smoking cigarettes, drinking cocktails, and dropping F-bombs. He had quickly picked up on the staples of rock n’ roll and was wearing them well.

Going into Saturday’s concert at Myrtle Beach’s House of Blues, I had a good idea what to expect. Having seen the band twice already on the “Switched On” tour, I knew I was going to get a high-energy, hits-laden show performed by a confident new frontman and a tight-knit extremely talented band. And more importantly I also knew I was going to have fun. A lot of fun!

Boy was I wrong again!

What I got instead Saturday night was something altogether different from what I had expected and had already seen. The show opened alright with “Suicide Blonde,” and went right into “Devil’s Party,” introduced by Fortune with “Welcome to the party, Myrtle Beach.” However I think that was an indication of what was happening backstage because from that point the show went quickly down hill.

By the fourth song, “Disappear,” the set hit a major lull and the band’s behavior was less than stellar. For “By My Side,” the band gathered around the drum riser for what could’ve been an intimate moment they shared with the crowd on a beautiful song from their past. What it turned into was a selfish gathering that set the mood for the rest of the show—the band playing for and to themselves, instead of the crowd. Even the ladies got the shaft tonight. At one point Fortune took a swig from a champagne bottle and spit it in the face of a woman in the front row. Another time, Fortune and Tim Farriss were checking out two beautiful women leaning over the balcony. It was a perfect moment for them to flirt with the girls and involve the crowd more. Instead Fortune made a comment in Farriss’ ear (most likely something vulgar) and after sharing a secret snicker, let it go. And throughout the show, the singer seemed more concerned with his cigarettes than his singing.

“Afterglow” was an all out embarrassment. Fortune stopped singing and tried to get the crowd to sing part of the chorus. Not many responded, as most people were too busy going to the restroom or getting refills during the down tempo song. Fortune didn’t do himself any favors when he resumed singing, as he was failing to hit the high note that makes or breaks that song.

11265inxs.jpg

“Taste it” turned into a ten-minute, Allman Brothers-esque jam session that was the most un-INXS thing I’ve ever seen. The unfamiliar track off 2002’s “Welcome To Wherever You Are” seemed to have the crowd scratching its collective head, most not even recognizing it. I can think of about 20 other INXS songs to put in its place—“This Time,” The Stairs,” “Guns In The Sky,” or “The One Thing” just to name a few.

“Never Let You Go” had me moving the last time I saw them, but tonight it just left me feeling embarrassed for the sextet. The main set continued its downward spiral through classics like “Need You Tonight” and “What You Need.” It didn’t recover until the final two songs, “Devil Inside” and “Pretty Vegas,” both finally getting the crowd back into it.

The opening encore “New Sensation” continued the late surge, but things quickly got strange with a cover of Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” which included Fortune making a gesture to his crotch during the “smoking big cigars” line that I could’ve done without. “Never Tear Us Apart” and “Don’t Change” finished things off to the delight of the crowd. But for those who thought tonight’s show was good, they should’ve seen what I saw in Minneapolis six months ago. They would’ve been speechless.

Maybe a few too many cocktails were consumed backstage tonight. Either that or those six men on stage were the happiest sober people I’ve ever seen. I certainly hope this show was just an isolated bad night. Because if it wasn’t, I really hope it’s not an indication of things to come.

Portland, Maine’s As Fast As opened the show with a stomping 30-minute set. Touring in support of their debut album, “Open Letter to the Damned,” As Fast As came across as a mish mash of British Invasion meets Southern Rock. The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Black Crowes, 3 Doors Down, and Lynyrd Skynyrd all rolled into one, with a Gene Simmons wannabe bass player to boot. And if that sounds a bit bizarre, it certainly is. But somehow, it works. Their set, including a spot-on cover of Wings’ “Jet,” and a snippet of Mott The Hoople’s “All The Young Dudes,” elicited more than a few positive hoots and hollers from the crowd. Overall they did their job properly warming up the near capacity crowd on this unseasonably cold Myrtle Beach night.

Set list:
Suicide Blonde
Devil’s Party
Mystify
Disappear
By My Side
Afterglow
Taste It
Original Sin
Hungry
Never Let You Go
Need You Tonight
What You Need
Kick
Devil Inside
Pretty Vegas

Encore:
New Sensation
Folsom Prison Blues
Never Tear Us Apart
Don’t Change

For more information on INXS, visit the official website and MySpace page. For more information on As Fast As, visit the official website and MySpace page.

Soooo glad I skipped this show now. :tsk: I was really adamant at first that INXS could never be any good without Hutch. But then I decided that was unfair to the rest of the band, as they're still really talented musicians. And though I don't like to admit it, but when he's having a good night, JD manages to put his own signature on the old songs while still honoring their original versions.

However - I still vowed I wouldn't pay good money to see this version of the band. But I got a little tempted as last weekend rolled around; I really wanted to see their older stuff done live. Sounds as though I was right to stand by my original thought, though: INXS will never be as good without Hutch. :sad:

At least none of the band members got a bad migraine and had to be hauled off to the hospital. Than again at least that would have been a good excuse for a poor show. :)

If anyone is interested.....INXS V.2 recently got dumped by their American label, EPIC. It ain't the same without Hutch !!!!

I saw them on Monday in Fort Lauderdale, and I didn't notice any of these things, except maybe a half-full venue. Maybe they had an off-night in Myrtle Beach...?

Back
Top Bottom