The Official B&C Desert Island Running Diary Thread Part II: The Wrath of Khan - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Out Of Control
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:36 PM
The Official B&C Desert Island Running Diary Thread Part II: The Wrath of Khan

Party on.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk in the last thread View Post
For some reason I was under the impression that our music tastes often seemed nearly interchangeable, so I'm kind of amazed to see some ruuude disagreements here. Anyway, yours is another I'm really looking forward to listening to.
No, I found it strange as well. I normally dig electronica or any new wave-centric thing, I loved AB's list for that reason. For some reason, didn't respond to that section of the list. I don't know how else to put it, but some of the songs in there felt cheesy or cheap, but not in any ironic or self-deprecating way, just kind of there. That sounds harsh, and I apologize for that. The Cut Copy, M83 and MGMT songs are the ones that transcend that though.

As far as the sell out comment, that was fairly tongue-in-cheek, since I remember a discussion from the last go-around about the selection of tracks for a list. Should they be familiar or obscure for some exposure, and does it make you some sort of panderer to go that second route.

I'm looking forward to yours as well. Definitely remember how awesome it was when you mixed soul and R&B with shoegaze and similar styles.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:36 PM
This is a great title btw.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

LMP, you are a clever little bastard.

This upcoming week I'm going to try to listen to at least one list per day! YAYYYYY!

Oh, and 1B1L...thank you muchly for listening and giving your thoughts. I'm glad you liked it. And I apologize for the Mendelssohn -> Lily Allen transition. I thought the Mendelssohn piece would just be a cool little intro to that section but it looks like everyone's been terrified by that transition so far.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The Mendelssohn transition was abrupt, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Lily Allen track.

I've got about 10-15 songs left on your list, btw.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Sweet.

And good luck to your Magic tomorrow. That Celtics team is up there with my most hated sports teams ever. Just a very unlikable group of guys.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Sweet.

And good luck to your Magic tomorrow. That Celtics team is up there with my most hated sports teams ever. Just a very unlikable group of guys.

Thanks. Yeah, they're thoroughly unlikable, but I do respect their scrappiness, I guess. They definitely should not have escaped the Bulls series or should win this series... damn Magic.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
LMP, you are a clever little bastard.

This upcoming week I'm going to try to listen to at least one list per day! YAYYYYY!

Oh, and 1B1L...thank you muchly for listening and giving your thoughts. I'm glad you liked it. And I apologize for the Mendelssohn -> Lily Allen transition. I thought the Mendelssohn piece would just be a cool little intro to that section but it looks like everyone's been terrified by that transition so far.
No need to apologize. It was sudden, but I think I also mentioned that the fact that you threw some Mendelssohn in there gives you bonus points in my book. And, as an intro, it did work beautifully, the transition was just odd. It was also the only really bizarre thing on your list that I had issue with, and it's a minor one at that.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Ah, good. A new thread.

Today's playlist of the day is hardy.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Started hardy's a short time ago.

Seems like I can always count on hardy to have some stuff that I know very well, but haven't listened to in ages. Sure does bring back the memories.

I'm seven songs in at the moment, and I don't have much to say about the song selection thus far, because they all are just so good. Special mentions should go out to Sittin' On A Fence, a very underrated early Stones tune, as well as Mr. Soul by Buffalo Springfield, who tend to go a bit unnoticed because of the fact that they preceded CSN, CSN&Y, and Neil Young's solo career. But the material they released, while in a short time, is stellar.

And now I've started another song that is undeniably fantastic, but something that I haven't heard in a while - Magic Carpet Ride.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Man, Magic Carpet Ride is so good.

We hit some Crosstown Traffic after, and then got bogged down in Communication Breakdown.

I didn't care for Cracked Actor, but as I don't care for Bowie, this probably isn't a surprise.

Loved the double shot of T. Rex and Sweet. Bringing the glitz with Ballroom Blitz...

All of the sudden we fast forwarded 30 years to American Idiot. Sounded ok, but it's tough going from 70's glam to 2000's pop punk. Probably the first transition that leaves a question mark.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

First song I didn't know was United States Of Whatever. That was...interesting.

You then ripped through some great stuff by The Clash, Buzzcocks, Elvis, Joe Jackson, etc. Probably the only one through that stretch that didn't do anything for me was Model Worker, but it was still ok.

Up to Laid now.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Another great sequence of songs here with Laid through Mexican Radio. Great selection for Gary Numan (Tubeway Army), and Mexican Radio is a favorite. I remember the video for that one on MTV all the time, waaaaay back when.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Of Montreal followed. Sounded ok, although it just gets slighly cut off at the end, but Think I'm In Love started up almost right away, so it wasn't that bad.

Love Red Rabbits, and that into No Surprises > Nightswimming > Velvet Morning was just terrific.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I did finish a while ago, I just haven't had a chance to conclude my comments.

This last portion has been excellent. Highlights for me were Brothers In Arms, Fragile Dreams, and Collapse. I would have preferred that you had Collapse close the whole thing, as it just really fits that role well. Perhaps put White As Snow just before it. And I like See The Sky About To Rain, but obviously being a live cut, it ends suddenly and kind of ruins the vibe a bit.

But you know, overall this was quite the treat to listen to. A nice mix of new stuff with some old favorites and long forgotten deep album tracks. And apart from a couple of songs, I pretty much liked everything on here. So this playlist gets high marks from me.

Tags
desert island, di6, listening, running diary