The Official B&C Desert Island Running Diary Thread Part II: The Wrath of Khan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For some reason I was under the impression that our music tastes often seemed nearly interchangeable, so I'm kind of amazed to see some ruuude disagreements here. Anyway, yours is another I'm really looking forward to listening to.

No, I found it strange as well. I normally dig electronica or any new wave-centric thing, I loved AB's list for that reason. For some reason, didn't respond to that section of the list. I don't know how else to put it, but some of the songs in there felt cheesy or cheap, but not in any ironic or self-deprecating way, just kind of there. That sounds harsh, and I apologize for that. The Cut Copy, M83 and MGMT songs are the ones that transcend that though.

As far as the sell out comment, that was fairly tongue-in-cheek, since I remember a discussion from the last go-around about the selection of tracks for a list. Should they be familiar or obscure for some exposure, and does it make you some sort of panderer to go that second route.

I'm looking forward to yours as well. Definitely remember how awesome it was when you mixed soul and R&B with shoegaze and similar styles.

LMP, you are a clever little bastard.

This upcoming week I'm going to try to listen to at least one list per day! YAYYYYY!

Oh, and 1B1L...thank you muchly for listening and giving your thoughts. I'm glad you liked it. And I apologize for the Mendelssohn -> Lily Allen transition. I thought the Mendelssohn piece would just be a cool little intro to that section but it looks like everyone's been terrified by that transition so far. :reject:

The Mendelssohn transition was abrupt, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Lily Allen track.

I've got about 10-15 songs left on your list, btw.

Sweet.

And good luck to your Magic tomorrow. That Celtics team is up there with my most hated sports teams ever. Just a very unlikable group of guys.

Sweet.

And good luck to your Magic tomorrow. That Celtics team is up there with my most hated sports teams ever. Just a very unlikable group of guys.

8.jpg

Thanks. Yeah, they're thoroughly unlikable, but I do respect their scrappiness, I guess. They definitely should not have escaped the Bulls series or should win this series... damn Magic.

LMP, you are a clever little bastard.

This upcoming week I'm going to try to listen to at least one list per day! YAYYYYY!

Oh, and 1B1L...thank you muchly for listening and giving your thoughts. I'm glad you liked it. And I apologize for the Mendelssohn -> Lily Allen transition. I thought the Mendelssohn piece would just be a cool little intro to that section but it looks like everyone's been terrified by that transition so far. :reject:

:lol: No need to apologize. It was sudden, but I think I also mentioned that the fact that you threw some Mendelssohn in there gives you bonus points in my book. And, as an intro, it did work beautifully, the transition was just odd. It was also the only really bizarre thing on your list that I had issue with, and it's a minor one at that.

Started hardy's a short time ago.

Seems like I can always count on hardy to have some stuff that I know very well, but haven't listened to in ages. Sure does bring back the memories.

I'm seven songs in at the moment, and I don't have much to say about the song selection thus far, because they all are just so good. Special mentions should go out to Sittin' On A Fence, a very underrated early Stones tune, as well as Mr. Soul by Buffalo Springfield, who tend to go a bit unnoticed because of the fact that they preceded CSN, CSN&Y, and Neil Young's solo career. But the material they released, while in a short time, is stellar.

And now I've started another song that is undeniably fantastic, but something that I haven't heard in a while - Magic Carpet Ride.

Man, Magic Carpet Ride is so good.

We hit some Crosstown Traffic after, and then got bogged down in Communication Breakdown.

I didn't care for Cracked Actor, but as I don't care for Bowie, this probably isn't a surprise.

Loved the double shot of T. Rex and Sweet. Bringing the glitz with Ballroom Blitz...

All of the sudden we fast forwarded 30 years to American Idiot. Sounded ok, but it's tough going from 70's glam to 2000's pop punk. Probably the first transition that leaves a question mark.

First song I didn't know was United States Of Whatever. That was...interesting.

You then ripped through some great stuff by The Clash, Buzzcocks, Elvis, Joe Jackson, etc. Probably the only one through that stretch that didn't do anything for me was Model Worker, but it was still ok.

Up to Laid now.

Another great sequence of songs here with Laid through Mexican Radio. Great selection for Gary Numan (Tubeway Army), and Mexican Radio is a favorite. I remember the video for that one on MTV all the time, waaaaay back when.

Of Montreal followed. Sounded ok, although it just gets slighly cut off at the end, but Think I'm In Love started up almost right away, so it wasn't that bad.

Love Red Rabbits, and that into No Surprises > Nightswimming > Velvet Morning was just terrific.

I did finish a while ago, I just haven't had a chance to conclude my comments.

This last portion has been excellent. Highlights for me were Brothers In Arms, Fragile Dreams, and Collapse. I would have preferred that you had Collapse close the whole thing, as it just really fits that role well. Perhaps put White As Snow just before it. And I like See The Sky About To Rain, but obviously being a live cut, it ends suddenly and kind of ruins the vibe a bit.

But you know, overall this was quite the treat to listen to. A nice mix of new stuff with some old favorites and long forgotten deep album tracks. And apart from a couple of songs, I pretty much liked everything on here. So this playlist gets high marks from me.

I have a beastly cold. So everything in my sinuses is dulled. Listening to DI lists right now would be unfair to the creator of the list.

I haven't gotten back on track since getting back in town. I'm really fucking behind.

My headphone jack on my laptop is broken so I haven't been able to listen to music, don't think I'll get through the lists seeing as I'm leaving on holiday tomorrow

phanan your playlist is amazing while buzzed and stoned

next up: shrooms?¿

:lol: Oh man, if you're actually serious about shrooms, let me know. There are a few things I've learned on my trips that I wish I'd known before. I've probably realized more about myself in those hours than most of my life...Of course, if you've already gone there, nevermind and enjoy! They're wonderful things when used responsibly.

As for running diaries, I'll be getting back on track in the next couple of days. Finishing up school/starting my summer job got me sidetracked. :down:

This is certainly a most interesting playlist so far.

I really enjoyed the first song, In The Dutch Mountains. That was really cool.

After that, though, I don't know. That second song was different, to say the least.

Kitate was ok. Los Lobos are a good band.

Didn't really care for the Blues Explosion track.

I liked Stretch, however. Nice vibe on that one.

And Hejira is a gorgeous song. But then, you could say that about a lot of Joni Mitchell offerings.

Hejira was followed by another beautiful song, Fairport Convention's Tam Lin. Those two sounded great back to back.

Blood Is Climbing was good.

I wasn't as high on the next few songs: The Last Seven Minutes, Unretrofied, and If You Live Or Die, although the latter two had their moments.

For the most part, I think the flow of this has gone quite well.

Ok, I was at lunch and then busy with a few other things, but I picked back up on the listening some time ago...

The Pet Shop Boys rule. I hadn't heard this one before, from the special edition of the new album, but it was cool.

Can't Say It Like I Mean It was good, but Alison Moyet was best with Yazoo.

Aphex Twin - great track.

Pink Stream by Sonic Youth was fun to hear. Hadn't heard it in a while.

Midnight Sun, Karma, and The Downing Of The Flamingo were all decent, but probably not things I'd listen to very much.

Back
Top Bottom