The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread, Part 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hounds of Love is actually good, but no amount of Kate Bush could ever stop the fact that this playlist was boring and yet... somehow unpretentious and not at all twee. He really took this seriously. Like he had absolutely no idea that it was rubbish, like it was the most normal thing in the world. Sure, he played it up a bit (a lot), but this disc reeks of honesty and oestrogen. I gotta hand it to the Screwster, he sure gives a good time. F.

Wait, Zooropa was in it, right? F+.

OK, Screwtape, if you ever read this, yes, I realise I was just very brutal to your list. But you know what? With due cause. That list, quite frankly, was rubbish, and arguably the worst list to be entered in the tournament since DI I.

Now, I normally expect good things from Screwtape lists; they tend to be well-constructed, cohesive, atmospheric, and come with good songs for the most part. This had none of those qualities. It was ineptly constructed, like the order was almost determined by plucking names from a hat. Thus, it had no cohesion. There were awkward breaks everywhere. It felt rushed and not very thought-through at all. Was this even proofread prooflistened? Any attempts for atmosphere die in a quagmire of utter plodding boredom. And good songs? Well, there's Zooropa and ... uh, Zooropa. Outside of that, it seems there was just very bad eighties video game music and wussiness.

Like I said, I expect good things from Screwtape lists. Now, on paper, this was already a disappointment, but I didn't expect it to be so boring. I was expecting it to be a D or a C-. I went in hoping for a pleasant surprise to elevate it above the anticipated mark. Instead, I got an unpleasant surprise that lowered it below the anticipated mark. This was an F. Apart from Zooropa, it has no redeeming qualities.

There's two possible explanations for Screw's list:

1. Screw honestly wanted a really conceptual list, and entered this. He did not expect it to do well, but really enjoyed his concept and honestly is cool with the bashing because it turned out the way he wanted to.

2. Screw mentioned his computer crashed and he lost a lot of music. So, he lacked the material to make a full list, and churned this one out in a desperate attempt to get something in. The solution in this case would have been to drop out and let an alternate compete in his place (I believe it would have been GibsonGirl) as opposed to putting in a rushed, truncated, sub-par list.

His indications as to what the case actually is have been vague.

There's two possible explanations for Screw's list:

1. Screw honestly wanted a really conceptual list, and entered this. He did not expect it to do well, but really enjoyed his concept and honestly is cool with the bashing because it turned out the way he wanted to.

2. Screw mentioned his computer crashed and he lost a lot of music. So, he lacked the material to make a full list, and churned this one out in a desperate attempt to get something in. The solution in this case would have been to drop out and let an alternate compete in his place (I believe it would have been GibsonGirl) as opposed to putting in a rushed, truncated, sub-par list.

His indications as to what the case actually is have been vague.

:down:

I've said this before, I'll let Pfan and LMP say it again:

Hey, whatever the guy wants to do is totally cool and up to him, but to not expect flak if the second case is true is wrong, to me at least. Eh, I don't know.

Enough.

You guys are downright insulting. If you don't like my playlist, fine. If you think it is the worst playlist since DI 1, fine. Don't vote for it. Vote against it. Going out of your way to insult and make fun of it is pathetic. To accuse me of rushing together a list is even more pathetic. I have said in the Running Diary Threads and my first match that I like my list and in fact it is one of my favorites of all the ones I've done. I knew people might not like it but you should make lists for yourself and I did. To set the facts straight, I knew Gibsongirl had a playlist ready or almost ready and I love her playlists. What people seem to not realize is that there was someone ahead of her that literally dropped out as I was uploading my playlist and getting ready to send it to Phanan. Don't accuse me of things that are not the truth.

You have already made up your minds about me. There is nothing I can say or do to stop you from making fun of my playlists. It is pathetic but you continue to do it. Grow up and vote against me. This other stuff is just embarrassing.

Fair enough.

Quick question, have you voted in any other matches but your own?

No, not that a vote for myself has any effect on any other playlists. I'd definitely be voting if there weren't a lot of voters.

Okay, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole thing though? If you haven't listened to the lists in question, I understand - just wondering why is all.

Seriously, you'd think everyone had enough time to listen to everyone else's playlists. What was it? 4+ weeks? Ah well. I listened to all but Screwtape's. The reason being that he didn't give my list the time of day (and therefore I won't give his the time of day). Of course, others may have not listened to my list, but they didn't so arrogantly state that only 2 or 3 of the lists (including their own) were even worth listening to. How could anyone know this unless they're familiar with all of the artists and songs on a particular list? One could be surprised. :|

You guys are downright insulting. If you don't like my playlist, fine. If you think it is the worst playlist since DI 1, fine. Don't vote for it. Vote against it. Going out of your way to insult and make fun of it is pathetic.

I didn't go out of my way to insult it. I did go out of my way to listen to it and - believe it or not - give it a fair chance. Like I said, your playlists are usually of a high quality, so I hoped the poor impression it gave on paper was inaccurate. Now, come on, you and I were once friends, and if you should know one thing about me, it's that I post precisely what I think. I didn't go out of my way to insult you; I listened to your list and posted what I thought. Since I am quite capable of separating your playlist from what I think of you, I can assure you my scathing assessment of your playlist has nothing to do with the fact I think you're a cowardly crackpot.

To accuse me of rushing together a list is even more pathetic.

It's pathetic to say that a list that sounds rushed sounds rushed?

Come off it. You intentionally made a list with a near-total lack of segues? I find that hard to believe. You rushed it.

You have already made up your minds about me. There is nothing I can say or do to stop you from making fun of my playlists. It is pathetic but you continue to do it. Grow up and vote against me. This other stuff is just embarrassing.

Get over yourself. Your list got what it deserved. It had nothing to do with you. I would have savaged that list no matter who it came from.

By the way, I love how it's quite OK for you to say there are only 2-3 playlists worth listening to and just discard the rest, but as soon as somebody discards yours, it's "pathetic" and "just embarrassing". You might want to try some consistency for a change.

If Phanan were here he would remind everyone that you are not required to vote. :shrug:

Once people stop voting--especially those in the tournament--the tournament begins to dissolve. It needs more votes, not less. Are you so self-important that you'll only vote in a tie-breaker?

By the way, I love how it's quite OK for you to say there are only 2-3 playlists worth listening to and just discard the rest, but as soon as somebody discards yours, it's "pathetic" and "just embarrassing". You might want to try some consistency for a change.

The difference is that you actually gave his list, a list you didn't like on paper, a chance, which is more than he's willing to give any list he doesn't like on paper. That makes you more fair than he, for he won't even give lists a chance, and to defend himself he'll squabble about regarding rules and the fact that he's not obligated to vote (you know, in any other round than one his list is present in, of course). Anyway, though, I'm almost as guilty as he is, because I'm not listening to his list and am voting against it. Less because I think I'll hate it (though I'm sure I would), but more because I can't stand it when people personally attack my playlist without actually having listened to it (and yes, saying it's not worth listening to is a personal attack on it, as he hasn't listened to it--if he actually listened to it, and then said it was shit, well that's a different matter altogether).

If Phanan were here he would remind everyone that you are not required to vote. :shrug:

While people are not forced to vote, I think it's fairly clear that I prefer everyone to vote, and for others not participating to listen and vote as well. I've always encouraged more participation.

In fact, I wish more people did a running diary of the playlists, too. People welcome feedback. I believe I am the only person who did a running diary for every single playlist.

In fact, I wish more people did a running diary of the playlists, too. People welcome feedback. I believe I am the only person who did a running diary for every single playlist.

I would have, but as I'm no longer allowed to post from work, I'd have to write my thoughts down while on my breaks and then report back here. Well that, and I listen in the car on the 40 minute drive to and from my fiance's house. So doing the running diaries while actually listening to the stuff is difficult for me, though I'm thinking for DI VI I will probably won't listen while in the car so I can make notes and report back here with my thoughts.

Anyway, I applaud you on giving feedback to all. :up:

Enough.

You guys are downright insulting. If you don't like my playlist, fine. If you think it is the worst playlist since DI 1, fine. Don't vote for it. Vote against it. Going out of your way to insult and make fun of it is pathetic. To accuse me of rushing together a list is even more pathetic. I have said in the Running Diary Threads and my first match that I like my list and in fact it is one of my favorites of all the ones I've done. I knew people might not like it but you should make lists for yourself and I did. To set the facts straight, I knew Gibsongirl had a playlist ready or almost ready and I love her playlists. What people seem to not realize is that there was someone ahead of her that literally dropped out as I was uploading my playlist and getting ready to send it to Phanan. Don't accuse me of things that are not the truth.

Based on you statements about losing all your music, it's not at all pathetic to suggest that your list was rushed. Actually listening to it (which I did, now regrettably) makes it sound even more rushed.

But the bottom line is, here you go again trying to make things personal, as if we spend all our hours trying to figure out the best way to insult Screwtape. And once again, you're acting like a child throwing a tantrum.

Telling us to grow up is like a pot calling the kettle black, only if the kettle wasn't black, just the pot was.

why bother submitting a playlist and entering the tournament if you don't plan on voting? political nominees still get out and vote, and one would hope when they submit their ballot they're not just voting on what they're nominated for. this isn't as important as mayoral and presidential elections of course, but it still is valid i think.

Oh, and just a note I failed to add earlier: downloading lists track-by-track (as you have to do with Screw's list) is a pain in the arse. Everybody, please, ZIP/RAR folders.

Would anybody be opposed to amending the rules accordingly?

Oh, and just a note I failed to add earlier: downloading lists track-by-track (as you have to do with Screw's list) is a pain in the arse. Everybody, please, ZIP/RAR folders.

I am completely FOR this idea

I think it should be standard practice in future DI lists, then, that everyone only vote for their own list. We'll see how the results end up.

Hey, I like that idea! I could enter and not get totally trounced! :D

And make sure they have no goddamn protected files either.

Back
Top Bottom