St Mary’s Butts, Reading, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that was a shame wasn't it. I had to smirk a little wryly at how he became the greatest guy ever in death. He was held in absolute contempt when he was alive and active. Not wholly undeserved, obviously, although he was more woefully misguided than actively horrible.

Oh I fucking hate the general pattern of eulogising people in death, "don't speak ill of the dead", rah rah rah. They aren't around to read you calling them a cunt, so go nuts. And maybe try to let people know what you like about them while they're still alive to find out.

I feel like the penny's going to drop one of these days in FYM that Donald Trump is probably here for the duration. And maybe, geez, I dunno, maybe the conversation needs to turn to what defeating the Republicans in 2020 might look like. Or this year, that too, but right now it seems like it's all hanging on Mueller and Russia and Mueller and did I mention Mueller.

Yep. The Mueller thing will satisfy no-one. It won't bring down Trump (I hope to god I am wrong), so the left and centrists will be unhappy, but it will lead to some prosecutions, so it won't be the bust the lunar right thinks it is.

Of course Trump will be the incumbent in 2020. I would love it, however, if he is the first president in a long time (since the 1840s, maybe?) not endorsed by his own party. I'd love to see the Republicans run somebody else. The political theatre would be incredible.

where is vlad anyway? I guess it's because he graduated or something, but shit, there's people posting here in their thirties, forties, even sixties, there's no rule that says you can't post once you finish uni.

He was saying recently on Messenger that he couldn't remember his password and couldn't be bothered requesting a new one. :lol:

Can't remember his password!!? Jesus, that's weak sauce. But ok. i mean, I can't remember the password for my old 2003 alter Bad Ronnie, but that's different.

I still have the password Achtung Bubba assigned me back in the day. It's completely random but somehow easy to remember, for whatever reason.

Oh I fucking hate the general pattern of eulogising people in death, "don't speak ill of the dead", rah rah rah. They aren't around to read you calling them a cunt, so go nuts. And maybe try to let people know what you like about them while they're still alive to find out.

Yep. The Mueller thing will satisfy no-one. It won't bring down Trump (I hope to god I am wrong), so the left and centrists will be unhappy, but it will lead to some prosecutions, so it won't be the bust the lunar right thinks it is.

Of course Trump will be the incumbent in 2020. I would love it, however, if he is the first president in a long time (since the 1840s, maybe?) not endorsed by his own party. I'd love to see the Republicans run somebody else. The political theatre would be incredible.

Of course in the long term the damage Donald Trump has done to the Republican party will tell. They will come to hate him, if they don't already. And if they don't already, it's only because his particular brand of media catnip serves as such a great distraction from the GOP policy wishlist and implementation thereof. Imagine how hard they'd have to work with someone as unexciting as Little Marco Rubio. The focus would be all on policy. Right? right.

The damage he has done to the Democratic party however, that is unfinished business.

I'd be mildly surprised if he even chooses to run again. Why risk turning into a loser when the chariot turns back into a pumpkin at midnight. But he will assuredly be there, come January 2020 (barring a massive coronary).

Last edited:
Of course in the long term the damage Donald Trump has done to the Republican party will tell. They will come to hate him, if they don't already. And if they don't already, it's only because his particular brand of media catnip serves as such a great distraction from the GOP policy wishlist and implementation thereof. Imagine how hard they'd have to work with someone as unexciting as Little Marco Rubio. The focus would be all on policy. Right? right.

The damage he has done to the Democratic party however, that is unfinished business.

I'd be mildly surprised if he even chooses to run again. Why risk turning into a loser when the chariot turns back into a pumpkin at midnight. But he will assuredly be there, come January 2020 (barring a massive coronary).

I do think he is stupid enough to run again. I also think he is smart enough to know that a failure to run again would be taken as a capitulation - that a president who chooses to walk out the door after one term is one who knows they cannot win the election, and is by default a loser.

The Democrats need to decide who they are. Both parties do. This is a time of political reckoning, and not just in America, but the peculiarities of the American political system make it an especially fraught reckoning.

Yes it is, very fraught. And that was partly what I was alluding to. I think there's a civil war just under the surface. In the upper leadership, among the socalled 'resistance', I think there's a sense that it's all about Trump - which really means, given his obvious characteristics, that it's all about aesthetics - and that there will not be any hint of a shift to the left by the party, nothing to the left of Obama or Clinton will be countenanced. That faction are still all about waiting for the demographic majority that will save the day, any day now. They cannot fail, they can only be failed. Worse, like the Blairites in Britain, I believe they'd lose to a Trump before win with a Sanders (or likeminded figure) - any fucking day of the week.

I think there are also signs of hope, here and there, in some of the state races over the last year, in the teachers' strikes, in some of this year's congressional primaries. But it's going to be a rocky few years.

As to Trump himself, I dunno. He's such an obvious charlatan, even on the terms in which he appealed to his electorate in 2016. Wouldn't it be easier to fist pump the sky, say you won and your work here is done? Because the alternative is not pretty. And yes, that could well involve him being primaried.

Last edited:
i just reset vlad's password so now he has no excuse :shifty:

i also can't believe iron horse died. i can't find the posts (i did a half-assed attempt at searching, cbf to spend too much time on it) but i hate the rose-coloured glasses people get when thinking back on dead people. some people are just pricks. he may have been a good person offline, but that was his own damn fault for not being like that on here. was he the one who posted on reddit too, or was that another now-banned right winger?

re: fym, i get so tired of the echo chamber in there. left-wingers clutch their pearls at anything trump and his administration do and say "but her emails" because it's still such a hilarious punchline. right-wingers refuse to think past their own lives and consider some random policy might be good for them, but it fucks over far more people than are helped.

That's was someone else. He was nuts, at least sometimes you could talk to TIH.
ahh, right.

btw i know i said this on fb but congratulations!

I havent been to FYM for quite a while now, what's it like right now?
dead

also, how long has the multi-quote button been broken now? a couple years? geez

admittedly maybe i've forgotten how the process works...

last time ive visited FYM was 2016 election season which was chaotic. but really, I was seriously rooting for Bernie, then, and I remember people made fun of it, for a bit. man, that was kinda optimistic time.

It was Orange Groper who was the Reddit scumbag.

And multi-quote works just fine, Khan. :tsk:

i also can't believe iron horse died. i can't find the posts (i did a half-assed attempt at searching, cbf to spend too much time on it) but i hate the rose-coloured glasses people get when thinking back on dead people. some people are just pricks. he may have been a good person offline, but that was his own damn fault for not being like that on here.

I would personally start the celebration thread, because I am a callous wanker.

The only eulogy thread I really had a hard time with was Saddam Hussein's. No, not a good guy, if we must talk at the level of cowboys-n-indians. But... the cost. The cost was an obscenity.

Sleep tonight, indeed.

I just enjoyed watching bloodthirsty right-wingers lose their minds in response to condemnations of the death penalty.

Meanwhile it stayed summer here until like the last week of May.

Winter finally arrived about a week ago. Of course today is our first consistently rainy day on the day I need to go do some shopping.

I like New York in June, how about you?

(that's a lyric from something, thanks to The Fisher King, no need to give a considered answer, I could care less).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom