St Mary’s Butts, Reading, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh one more thing. i've been dying to tell someone and i keep forgetting to tell my boyfriend and now he's out of town and maybe still driving, it's a long way from here to either memphis or huntsville.

anyway, there's a guy in my department who had loads of pictures on his cubicle wall, one of which was a picture of himself, a selfie. shirtless. he recently took down all but two photos...but the shirtless selfie remains up. why would you have a shirtless selfie of yourself at your desk?

it's a typical selfie where you can only see the person, so it's not like he's in it but it's really about the scenery. no, it's honestly just a selfie of him with no shirt on. it looks like it belongs on tinder.

also, i'm getting a cat tomorrow. i went to a local no-kill shelter (all the way downtown, ugh it killed me driving the after work, at least the traffic wasn't as bad since most were driving away from downtown, but still, there was an accident and the driving directions sucked).

i pick her up tomorrow, which hopefully gives me time to think of a name for her. not sure if i think she's an evie...

I'm sure the other place can suggest some great U2-related names. :happy:

Also, :up: :up:

oh one more thing. i've been dying to tell someone and i keep forgetting to tell my boyfriend and now he's out of town and maybe still driving, it's a long way from here to either memphis or huntsville.

anyway, there's a guy in my department who had loads of pictures on his cubicle wall, one of which was a picture of himself, a selfie. shirtless. he recently took down all but two photos...but the shirtless selfie remains up. why would you have a shirtless selfie of yourself at your desk?

it's a typical selfie where you can only see the person, so it's not like he's in it but it's really about the scenery. no, it's honestly just a selfie of him with no shirt on. it looks like it belongs on tinder.

What.

Why.

What.

WHAT.

Who does that. Does he think work is just Tinder IRL?

What.

Why.

What.

WHAT.

Who does that. Does he think work is just Tinder IRL?

But.........
It kinda is, no? Don't most marriages begin with a meeting at work? And this guy is clearly vain and self-obsessed, so it's kind of a good thing he's parading that so openly! Potential partners beware!

Come to think of it, I can think of many many examples of women doing the same thing at their desks - photos of happy wonderful days that involve the deskee being in their swimwear etc.

Nevertheless, Khanada, he sounds like a complete twat!!!!!!

he's a nice guy, but it cracks me up so much. i technically have a few photos of me at my desk, but one is me with my boyfriend the day i got my master's degree, and the rest (like three) are me with my mom, obvs. no sexy selfies.

oh also i have my kitty now and i totally ignored their suggestion to keep her confined to one room for the first couple days to get used to the apartment. i let her out in the living room (or should i say lounge since i think i'm the only american here) and she immediately went exploring around, no running to hide. if i get up to go into another room, she follows me and purrs loudly.

i still need a name for her, though... :hmm:

omg no :lol:

i'm not totally sure yet but i'm thinking about nikki. it works on two levels because 1. it's a name (i know right lol) 2. it's kinda taken from maneki-neko, the lucky cats you see in japanese restaurants and stores. the cat i got is a calico too, so it would work.

the names i pick for my cats are always silly, but there's a reason behind them. i even named two sisters after a split enz song once (sugar and spice). :wink:

omg no :lol:

i'm not totally sure yet but i'm thinking about nikki. it works on two levels because 1. it's a name (i know right lol) 2. it's kinda taken from maneki-neko, the lucky cats you see in japanese restaurants and stores. the cat i got is a calico too, so it would work.

the names i pick for my cats are always silly, but there's a reason behind them. i even named two sisters after a split enz song once (sugar and spice). :wink:

Right. My Virgin Prunes suggestions were well wide of the mark.
I was actually going to suggest Amy, purely because of the Split Enz song. Imagine singing that chorus to your cat?!?!

Nikki is nice too...

Incidentally, if you were ever in the mood it would be wonderful to read about your Split Enz fandom. It's depressingly unusual to find fans of pre-1979 Split Enz.

(still think guggi is a great name for a cat)

But.........
It kinda is, no? Don't most marriages begin with a meeting at work? And this guy is clearly vain and self-obsessed, so it's kind of a good thing he's parading that so openly! Potential partners beware!

Come to think of it, I can think of many many examples of women doing the same thing at their desks - photos of happy wonderful days that involve the deskee being in their swimwear etc.

Nevertheless, Khanada, he sounds like a complete twat!!!!!!

I'm more envisaging people being so hopeless at meeting people that instead of talking to their coworkers, they just put up a few photos - "this is what I look like when I get to choose the angle, so don't look straight at me please" - and wait for somebody to physically swipe right across their back.

I'm more envisaging people being so hopeless at meeting people that instead of talking to their coworkers, they just put up a few photos - "this is what I look like when I get to choose the angle, so don't look straight at me please" - and wait for somebody to physically swipe right across their back.
I always wished that or something like it existed. ie everyone wears a little chalkboard or something on their back, and if someone fancies you, or you them, you can just make a mark on the board. No flirting or stupid conversations.
Fun guy, huh...

hahahaha omg, maybe that's why he did it. i sat next to him in training and he was really chummy with the girl next to him (not me obviously, the girl on the other side of him). i try to ignore all those people on that side of my cubicle...wait, both sides...and the front. and back. okay, everyone, except for the like two people in my department that i message (they're crazy enough to give us an im app).

Right. My Virgin Prunes suggestions were well wide of the mark.
I was actually going to suggest Amy, purely because of the Split Enz song. Imagine singing that chorus to your cat?!?!

Nikki is nice too...

Incidentally, if you were ever in the mood it would be wonderful to read about your Split Enz fandom. It's depressingly unusual to find fans of pre-1979 Split Enz.

(still think guggi is a great name for a cat)
when i was trying to think of a name, i actually briefly thought of amy, but decided i shouldn't go with another enz title. plus i wasn't sure about the name amy itself, though the chorus idea would be sweet. wait, i can still sing sweet talkin' spoon song to her :lol:

yeah, what the heck. dr. dré (axver) will remember our long lost interferencer timothius, another kiwi living in oz, who posted on here way back during the vertigo tour. this forum (out of control, that is) didn't exist back then and the vertigo setlist threads were sort of like the superthreads, cool people talking about random stuff. tim-tam (that's what i called timothius, yep after the biscuits and i also want to say the name bugged him, i can't remember) was also a huge fan of the crowdies and since livejournal was a thing back then, he'd post their albums on his journal, and i got into them. then he said since i was more of an 80s music fan, i'd probably like the band that came before that better, and started sharing enz stuff with me too.

i loved it and ended up downloading a torrent of their entire discography. trust me, i've given them more than enough money because i bought all the remastered cds when they came out like ten years ago (got the sweet gatefold ones) and i've seen all the finns live. never got to see the enz live either of the times they reunited since it was so far away, i just couldn't afford a flight. but i've seen tim solo a few times, the crowdies twice, and liam a few times. plus i've met all three of them. oh and the rest of crowded house. oh and the first song i ever heard crowded house perform live was recurring dream (yeeeeees)....sorry. back to the enz.

okay, enough about the finns. i'm finn-ished talking about them. being a fan of 80s music, by which i mean shit a lot of people consider to be cheesy and terrible, yeah my initial favourite by them was true colours, but eventually i got into their other stuff. dizrythmia is probably still my favourite of theirs, with mental notes (the actual for real first one, not the one released in 76 that's also called second thoughts) being my second favourite. phil's vocals are really...unusual, but in a good way. what could sound terrible if anyone else sang like that, he makes it sound really amazing. under the wheel and spellbound are great in particular.

the music in particular is really interesting (i'm not so good with words, even though i majored in english, i just suck at describing things i mean). i like the complex melodies and stuff. i mean yeah that's prog rock for you, but that's what i like about it. and of course they had their own take on it. like for example just a random thing but i particularly like the synth solo towards the end of under the wheel. i'm usually not big on acoustic guitars but they made it work, i think because with them, it was an accompaniment, like a rhythm guitar, rather than the main piece as folk rock and other kind of bands did.

don't get me wrong, i like their stuff from frenzy onward (these days i like waiata more than true colours, shock gasp) too, but there's no denying they pushed more boundaries with their pre-neil stuff, and when neil joined it became more glossy and commercial. it's not a bad thing, just different.

I grew up hearing Split Enz - my parents thought Crowded House were sellouts and Split Enz was where it was at... Though they never listened to anything pre-1977.
After getting deeply into them about 10 years ago I discovered their earlier stuff, the wonderful fan resources and eventually the non-album stuff from the early year. Basically Phil Judd is my favourite songwriter of all time. Just a genius.
Luckily, I saw them at the 1999/2000 New Year's concert in Auckland. I couldn't get tickets - it was a sellout - but I stood outside the concert, on the Auckland waterfront, with my girlfriend, listening to the set. About 30 minutes in a couple came running out of the concert. The guy looked at me and said 'here, have our tickets, we're off to have the first baby of the new millenium'. His wife wasn't talking - she was clutching a very pregnant tummy. Score!
We ended up in front of the stage. Was immense. Neil nailed the Time for a Change solo. Tim was on fire.
Living in central Auckland, and being an obsessive, I also found all the venues of note from the early years. The flat in Parnell they practiced in. The first studio they recorded in, in Ponsonby etc. The old lolly (candy?) factory in lower Parnell Tim and Phil worked in. I even found )I think, it's hard to be sure) Malmsbury Villa - or at least the location. And I was studying at Auckland Uni, where they all met.

I often rue the fact I'm not a Dubliner. How much fun would it be being a U2 obsessive and living in Dublin! But being a Split Enz fan in Auckland is fairly decent!

I'd have to say my fave Split Enz 'collection' would be Beginning of The Enz, followed by Mental Notes. I don't hate Second Thoughts - I can understand why they did it and there's some good stuff there.
The real tragedy is how clear it is the magic relied on a dynamic - primarily between Tim, Phil and Mike. And although still amazing from 79 onwards, without that tension of band members pulling in opposite directions, it just was never quite the same.
I think it's no coincidence two of the better songs Tim has written post 1979 (in my opinion) - I Hope I Never and More Fool Me, are direct responses to Phil.
So losing Phil was a tragedy. What a genius he was. Still is, in his own way. Some of his solo stuff is worth listening to.

And.... I'm going on a bit!

Wait, Khan, it was Timmo who got you into the Enz?! I can't believe I don't remember this. In my head you've been an Enz fan as long as I've known you. I remember getting the Crowdies albums off Tim but the Enz ones off you.

And yeah they've got plenty of dosh off me by now. Four Neil & Liam gigs for me early next year, for instance.

And I will die on this hill: Neil is the best Finn and the best musician to come from New Zealand. Thank god Crowded House are technically a Melbourne band so I get to acknowledge Martin Phillipps: the best Kiwi band is The Chills.

I grew up hearing Split Enz - my parents thought Crowded House were sellouts and Split Enz was where it was at... Though they never listened to anything pre-1977.
After getting deeply into them about 10 years ago I discovered their earlier stuff, the wonderful fan resources and eventually the non-album stuff from the early year. Basically Phil Judd is my favourite songwriter of all time. Just a genius.
Luckily, I saw them at the 1999/2000 New Year's concert in Auckland. I couldn't get tickets - it was a sellout - but I stood outside the concert, on the Auckland waterfront, with my girlfriend, listening to the set. About 30 minutes in a couple came running out of the concert. The guy looked at me and said 'here, have our tickets, we're off to have the first baby of the new millenium'. His wife wasn't talking - she was clutching a very pregnant tummy. Score!
We ended up in front of the stage. Was immense. Neil nailed the Time for a Change solo. Tim was on fire.
Living in central Auckland, and being an obsessive, I also found all the venues of note from the early years. The flat in Parnell they practiced in. The first studio they recorded in, in Ponsonby etc. The old lolly (candy?) factory in lower Parnell Tim and Phil worked in. I even found )I think, it's hard to be sure) Malmsbury Villa - or at least the location. And I was studying at Auckland Uni, where they all met.

I often rue the fact I'm not a Dubliner. How much fun would it be being a U2 obsessive and living in Dublin! But being a Split Enz fan in Auckland is fairly decent!

I'd have to say my fave Split Enz 'collection' would be Beginning of The Enz, followed by Mental Notes. I don't hate Second Thoughts - I can understand why they did it and there's some good stuff there.
The real tragedy is how clear it is the magic relied on a dynamic - primarily between Tim, Phil and Mike. And although still amazing from 79 onwards, without that tension of band members pulling in opposite directions, it just was never quite the same.
I think it's no coincidence two of the better songs Tim has written post 1979 (in my opinion) - I Hope I Never and More Fool Me, are direct responses to Phil.
So losing Phil was a tragedy. What a genius he was. Still is, in his own way. Some of his solo stuff is worth listening to.

And.... I'm going on a bit!
oh wow, that's awesome to read! lucky you for scoring free tickets to their new year's set. i've hated how they've excluded any earlier members from the reunion gigs, and the last reunion with a new drummer instead of mal was just weird imo. btw you don't have to worry about kiwi slang around me, i lived there for two years, actually! went to auckland uni for a year even. i did wish i could've found room 129, lol. i hate that where they did their first gig as split ends is gone. i also spent way too much on buying their second single (sweet talkin' spoon song) when it popped up once in ebay.

second thoughts is just kinda neutered imo. the newer songs are better than the older, re-recorded ones, but phil seems like he's on autopilot. i mean yeah working with manzenera was surely amazing and the audio quality is better, but slogging through songs written four years ago makes for a band sounding bored. the lost opportunity was not putting nightmare stampede on record, haha. (the last time i saw tim live i called out for that song as a joke)

that's a good way to put it, the tension kept things interesting. when the brothers led the group, it wasn't there anymore. when they shone from 79 on were the times either of them felt they had something to prove or need to one-up the other.

totally forgot to mention phil. his solo stuff of late is definitely...:waves hand side to side: i don't know if it was the stroke (or was it a heart attack? both? idk) but yeah. his vocals are a little too nasal for me now and the music is a little too...1800s.

i liked schnell fenster though. the sound of trees was a great album. ok alright a huh oh yeah not as much. and the swingers, fucking incredible. shame they didn't release more.

Wait, Khan, it was Timmo who got you into the Enz?! I can't believe I don't remember this. In my head you've been an Enz fan as long as I've known you. I remember getting the Crowdies albums off Tim but the Enz ones off you.

And yeah they've got plenty of dosh off me by now. Four Neil & Liam gigs for me early next year, for instance.

And I will die on this hill: Neil is the best Finn and the best musician to come from New Zealand. Thank god Crowded House are technically a Melbourne band so I get to acknowledge Martin Phillipps: the best Kiwi band is The Chills.
yep! i think the reason you got them off me is (depending on the timing) he stopped regularly uploading stuff to his lj, and i'd already had the torrent by then so i no longer needed him. [emoji38] then in 2006 those remasters came out and i shared those too.

i'm jealous that you lot get to see them so much. the last time i saw any finn live was seeing the crowdies back when i lived in auckland! so it's been since 2010 or 2011, can't remember which. maybe i saw them in early 2012 before i left. i'd have to look on fb to check out the photo album and ewww effort.

pfft, you know my thoughts on the finns. not gonna debate it since i do like neil too and think he's immensely talented and might've saved the band from breaking up or something after phil left in...1976 or 1977. i forget. the short time with all three of them in the band was interesting, it's a shame more stuff wasn't recorded. it would've been cool if they'd had three frontmen.

i'm gonna listen to music loudly and either medspost in here or play fallout 3. come ooooon, when i beat that i'll have to start on fallout 2, then fallout 1, and pretty soon i won't have anything to play again.

Trying to get this album leak to download on shitty wifi is a right effort let me tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom