St Mary’s Butts, Reading, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i also have to say i'm just loving the politics thread. mostly non-americans saying how things are in alabama. idk, i certainly mean no offence to kiwilad or anyone, it's just like i lived there for two years, lived in tennessee for way too long which is a slightly less wtf version. my bf is born and raised in bama. i protested moore when he refused to allow gay marriage, the last time these idiots voted him in for something.

i'm not sure what my point is, i guess just that i have a first-hand experience with this shit and turning the thread into an abortion debate gets further away from the issue.

i also have to say i'm just loving the politics thread. mostly non-americans saying how things are in alabama. idk, i certainly mean no offence to kiwilad or anyone, it's just like i lived there for two years, lived in tennessee for way too long which is a slightly less wtf version. my bf is born and raised in bama. i protested moore when he refused to allow gay marriage, the last time these idiots voted him in for something.

i'm not sure what my point is, i guess just that i have a first-hand experience with this shit and turning the thread into an abortion debate gets further away from the issue.

Yeah I know. When you boil it all down, I just really don't want Trump to be president. That's what it really comes down to!
It's moments like this you need Dumbledore(or McGonagall) to stand up and use some cool transfiguration spell on a few people around the world. Turn them into turnips or something.

I've basically been staying out of FYM for Certain Reasons, so I've no idea about the discussion in question, but isn't Alabama also a candidate for the treatment I propose for Queensland, i.e. falling into the sea? :wink:

Well, since you asked!

1. I just got tired of arguing with fascists on the one hand, and trying to counter bland centrists on the other.
2. After I got banned without warning or explanation for calling a fascist a fascist (who, during my three-day break, got banned for fascism!), I figured there really wasn't much point continuing to participate if that's how the moderation was going to be. I've only posted a few times there since.
3. There's better political discussion elsewhere on this forum anyway! The Australia thread is good, and we've had some good chats in the Superthread over the years, even if not much now.

Australian politics confuses me enough that I've never bothered to educate myself on it. The state vs federal thing seems so unnecessary. I know you've written books/articles on this stuff though I can't remember your position.
Society has to begin a serious discussion on the post democracy age. Cause politics as it is is becoming a bloated and destructive mix of sport-team fervour, protection of power, and subterfuge.
The effective destruction of the fourth estate hasn't helped.

Who was the fascist?

We've talked Kiwi politics in the Straya thread too. :lol:

I suppose it does look a bit of a mess from New Zealand, though trying to explain MMP to Australians can be trying as well. I love regaling Kiwis with tales of insanity in the Aussie political sphere. It's basically "how long have you got? Let's get a pint, pull up a pew, and *cracks knuckles* it's time for STORIES."

And I was having a go at Orange Groper directly, and Bob Saget too when I made some post about "remember when there weren't fascists on Interference?"

It's interesting watch the traditionally two-party Westminster political model mesh with this German multi-party model.
I get there are benefits but I've never liked the adversarial nature of the Westminster system. I do hope that in time MMP shifts us away from that a little.

I took a break from that thread for a couple of months and when I returned orangataropa was gone. And being vilified. I totally missed it.
I didn't agree with him. But I aprreciated an opportunity to hear from someone so far from my own views who spoke pleasantly and clearly.
Though that's a pretty unpopular view to hold in that thread...

It's interesting watch the traditionally two-party Westminster political model mesh with this German multi-party model.
I get there are benefits but I've never liked the adversarial nature of the Westminster system. I do hope that in time MMP shifts us away from that a little.

I definitely favour proportional systems that require coalitions and negotiation to the adversarial two-party system. It's especially funny how prone to two-party government the Westminster system has been when exported, given that Britain itself maintains a strong multi-party system.

This has made it all the more embarrassing to witness the Nats' hissy fit after Jacinda formed government. Their claims that they should be the government give away the divine right to rule that some on the right obviously believe.

I took a break from that thread for a couple of months and when I returned orangataropa was gone. And being vilified. I totally missed it.
I didn't agree with him. But I aprreciated an opportunity to hear from someone so far from my own views who spoke pleasantly and clearly.
Though that's a pretty unpopular view to hold in that thread...

Oh he did not speak pleasantly, as we learnt.

My understanding is he was discovered on some other forum, where he was being a wee bit supremacisty?
I mean what the fuck is it with people actually worshipping melanin deficiency? Of all the things?
My parents moved to Australia in the early/mid 70s. Apparently hunting Aborigines and killing them was ok then. Whether or not people were doing it, they would brag to my parents that they at least had that right. And scoff at the sissy New Zealanders who had to respect the Maori.
That's about the time U2 was forming. Not that long ago when you think about it.
Humans are fucking cunts

I think "a wee bit" is putting it mildly! And was bragging about basically trolling this place. It was beautiful seeing him caught out.

I wasn't sad to see him go, not just for his fucked-up politics but also because his EYKIW threads tended to be bloody awful. I won't forget that U2 songs to have sex to thread.

Trying to remember what he actually called it. But it was something stupid. Par for the course really.

I hope right now he's sitting in his sad MAGA cave wishing a woman would touch him to the dulcet tones of American Soul.

Trying to remember what he actually called it. But it was something stupid. Par for the course really.

I hope right now he's sitting in his sad MAGA cave wishing a woman would touch him to the dulcet tones of American Soul.

I did a search. I found a thread about dirty U2 lyrics. Which led me to a bunch of other threads. I especially liked the post where you change the word 'Days' to 'Dicks' in Some Days Are Better Than Others.
Some dicks use more force than is necessary.
Some dicks are slippy, other dicks are sloppy.

Wow.

Meanwhile, Australia did a thing. And it was a good thing. Bout fucking time but credit where it's due!

Did... did I do that?!

And yes, today is a rare day when I'm not embarrassed to hold Aussie citizenship.

Oh thank god. Because it's kind of something I feared I might've done while drunk!

Also, I'm pleased with Australia today, but oh boy I didn't get choked up until I revisited this:

Yeah, we Kiwis definitely do waiata better than the Aussies do.

Oh shit I know. I'm so cynical about national sentiment from years of living in Australia where being proud of the country basically means being a racist fuckturkey, but whenever I think of New Zealand I just become incredibly damn proud to be a Kiwi all over again.

And we could be better on many things, and there's still a fight to get a lot right, but oh geez we've blazed a proper path. It was quite striking last week at the New Zealand Historical Association conference, compared to the Aussie equivalent. Heaps of sessions started or ended with waiata. You can't even imagine that happening in Australia. I now make a point of starting papers in te reo Māori in Australia just to make the point. Nobody would start in the local Aboriginal language.

I did a search. I found a thread about dirty U2 lyrics. Which led me to a bunch of other threads. I especially liked the post where you change the word 'Days' to 'Dicks' in Some Days Are Better Than Others.
Some dicks use more force than is necessary.
Some dicks are slippy, other dicks are sloppy.

This is one of the all-time classic threads from Interference of old, and that's probably the most popular post in the thread. Ahhh the good old days.

Perhaps the worst thing about train replacement buses, besides the fact they are train replacement buses, is the absence of a quiet carriage.

Perhaps the worst thing about train replacement buses, besides the fact they are train replacement buses, is the absence of a quiet carriage.
i can imagine. i have my own things that i don't like about them that i can't really talk about. :lol: at least i'll never forget the german word for them.

Got to do it all over again tonight. All I want to do on the ride home is listen to my music through my earbuds, not have it drowned out by drunk people shouting some shit and playing tunes through their phone speakers. Half the time the quiet carriage isn't that quiet, but it's usually still well better than the regular carriages.

Or the bus driver playing music! Why is this considered acceptable? You'd never hop on a train and have music pumping through the PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom