Shuttlecock XXXIII: Is Bono Actually Enrico Palazzo? Discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So my son is almost 7 months old and he still wakes up every 90 or so minutes without fail. We've tried every sleep method known to man (no Uber, we have not given him whiskey) and he still won't sleep better. Our doctor's response, "Sorry. Some kids are just really bad sleepers."

Damn.

My daughter slept like shit for a long f'ing time. She just started to sleep partway through the night, and then her teeth came in, so right back to square one. If there's a cure, we never found it. Putting her in a bed helped, but that was @ 18 months. One thing that did help somewhat was cramming her full of as much food as possible, but being that she wasn't a good eater, the fight wasn't always worth it.

Does he cry during the day too? Did they tell you to try a different type of formula? Does he laugh when he sees you wander in, exhausted and frazzled? Maybe he's just fucking with you. Could be a dick like his dad. :)

My daughter slept like shit for a long f'ing time. She just started to sleep partway through the night, and then her teeth came in, so right back to square one. If there's a cure, we never found it. Putting her in a bed helped, but that was @ 18 months. One thing that did help somewhat was cramming her full of as much food as possible, but being that she wasn't a good eater, the fight wasn't always worth it.

Does he cry during the day too? Did they tell you to try a different type of formula? Does he laugh when he sees you wander in, exhausted and frazzled? Maybe he's just fucking with you. Could be a dick like his dad. :)

Happiest kid you can imagine when he's awake. Even at night, as soon as you get him, he's calm and smiley.

Yeah, we've tried feeding him more and less before bed. We've tried breast/formula/different formulas/different bottles/cereal/solids before bed. We've tried feeding him at night(he no longer even eats when we do - that's not it)/soothing him/rocking him/letting him cry for a few weeks at a time. We've tried longer/shorter/different times of naps during the day. We've tried putting him to bed earlier/later and putting his crib in different rooms of the house. I've tried putting him to bed sober(him)/drunk(me). We've tried making him and his room colder/hotter.

Hey, Scumbo, did you get hurricane-like thunderstorms today, too? I had to run outside and close my sunroof with the rain coming in sideways.

Yeah, right during lunch as well. Only had orange juice for breakfast, so I'm presently starving.

Yeah, right during lunch as well. Only had orange juice for breakfast, so I'm presently starving.
That bites. KSL says to expect another wave in the next hour or so down there. I'd bring you something if I wasn't worried about getting blown off the side of the mountain going around the point.

I've been away...did I miss any big U2 news? Do I need to turn in old tickets to get new tickets? Do people like the tour? Is Bono okay? Not his back, his hair. Are there new songs? Please don't make me go to the other place to find out this information. Thank you.

1. This may come as a surprise, but there has been setlist bitching. Some of it, I find valid. Do not speak of this to BoMac, however, or he will CUT YOU. I think the reports from people actually AT the shows have been positive overall.

2. They have, however, played three new songs - an instrumental intro thingie, and two song-songs, one of which kicked the bucket after a few shows (I am of the opinion that this is a good thing). They also added Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (and made some other changes, some rather baffling).

3. Bono is very prancy during the intro instrumental, showing off his new German engineering.

4. Bono is also wearing leather nowadays.

5. Bono looks good.

6. Bono sounds good.

7. I can only assume that Bono feels very good as well.

8. ... I think that's all I've got. Shall I just make some stuff up instead?

9. At one of the shows, Bono did the band introductions in an alien voice.

10. I'm not making that one up.

Oh, almost forgot -

11. You can keep your original tickets. :)

Setlist bitching? I refuse to believe it.

Thank you. :kiss:

Now, where did I put those tickets again...?

There's been talk (again) of supposedly 4 separate albums/projects they're working on. Not just Bono, I think, so there might be some merit to it. The new short article in Rolling Stone has a mention of possibly putting something out before they make it back to the US next spring.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it is difficult.

Oh, and interestingly, Edge said that they're no longer really promoting anything at this point on the tour, which at least explains why they made some of the setlist decisions they did, good or bad.

There's been talk (again) of supposedly 4 separate albums/projects they're working on. Not just Bono, I think, so there might be some merit to it. The new short article in Rolling Stone has a mention of possibly putting something out before they make it back to the US next spring.

Adam mentioned a possible EP in that U2.com video, did he not?

Then you'll realize one of those albums is entirely Spiderman related, and you'll faint from the lameness of it.

Great, so not only does Bono lie, he's got Edge and Adam doing it, too.

Ha. There was a comment (I think from Bono, so I'm not actually worried) that made it sound like whatever they released could have aspects of all the process.

Which kind of sounds like a hot, frightening mess. Yes, it's an atmospheric/club music/rock/Spiderman album! :yikes:

Out-of-Nowhere Rant Ahoy!

Earlier, I popped over to U2.com to see if they were having the same whinging we were. They were, although ours at least is more coherent and maybe a bit less hyperbolic, from the one thread I dared to read.

What really got me was a poster who went beyond the setlist issues to complain that the band didn't have time for or care about the fans anymore - the stage was farther away, less interaction/eye contact with Bono ... okay, I can at least see what she means. I get that.

And then talked about how last fall Bono barely had time to spend with the fans outside. She only got 30 seconds with him! He only had time to sign her copy of NLOTH! He couldn't take a picture with her because he wanted to get through as many fans as possible and he was due inside the stadium, he was running late.

Well! She said she didn't know how that was possible, as it was only 3:30 (what is she, his assistant? I'm sure they have other shit to do at the stadiums sometimes other than show up in time to walk on stage).

She then went on to bemoan that something had changed, that they no longer had time for the fans like they used to.

Gee, I can't imagine what has changed. Maybe fans being more pushier and demanding of how U2 conducts their interactions?

I MEAN, HOLY SHIT.

*whew*

I resisted actually saying something over there, so naturally I had to say it here.

I'm done now.

o_O

People like that should be flogged and tasered. What a selfish little brat.

Out-of-Nowhere Rant Ahoy!

Earlier, I popped over to U2.com to see if they were having the same whinging we were. They were, although ours at least is more coherent and maybe a bit less hyperbolic, from the one thread I dared to read.

What really got me was a poster who went beyond the setlist issues to complain that the band didn't have time for or care about the fans anymore - the stage was farther away, less interaction/eye contact with Bono ... okay, I can at least see what she means. I get that.

And then talked about how last fall Bono barely had time to spend with the fans outside. She only got 30 seconds with him! He only had time to sign her copy of NLOTH! He couldn't take a picture with her because he wanted to get through as many fans as possible and he was due inside the stadium, he was running late.

Well! She said she didn't know how that was possible, as it was only 3:30 (what is she, his assistant? I'm sure they have other shit to do at the stadiums sometimes other than show up in time to walk on stage).

She then went on to bemoan that something had changed, that they no longer had time for the fans like they used to.

Gee, I can't imagine what has changed. Maybe fans being more pushier and demanding of how U2 conducts their interactions?

I MEAN, HOLY SHIT.

*whew*

I resisted actually saying something over there, so naturally I had to say it here.

I'm done now.

This is not directed at anyone in particular.

I think it's becoming obvious to me (and I suppose to everyone else) that I'm becoming more and more disillusioned and disenfranchised, not with the band, but with some so-called "real" fans of the band.

I'm sure every major musical act has its hardcore, fanatical base. But I suppose since I have more interaction with U2 fans, I tend to see them in a different light. By and large, U2 fans are fantastic and the best of any band in the world. But there's something about U2 that really brings out the crazy in some people, and I just don't see that with other bands (again I mostly interact with U2 fans, so the basis for that judgment is skewed).

Anyway, it's stuff like what Cori posted that really pisses me off, yet scares me at the same time. I've seen it firsthand while waiting in the GA line. Why do these people have this sense of entitlement? Where does it come from? Why can't they see that they're being friggin' ridiculous?

/end rant

I know I sometimes get ridiculous about stupid stuff like setlists, but I pride myself in leaving that as the sole area where I feel any sort of "entitlement." (Which isn't to say I think it's an entitlement to get to hear what I want to hear, but more that I understand how it can come across like that.)

It makes me uncomfortable being around a big crowd if/when the band shows up. I'm kind of glad that my instinct when Bono crashed the GA line at the NY show I was at was to just get out of the way - I didn't want any part of the pushy scramble to shove cameras and things to sign in the guy's face.

From my experience in any other sorts of fandoms - and this is for TV shows and stuff like that, not bands - die-hard fandom in general seems to bring out some truly scary behavior and bring out the freaks.

So I'm pretty sure it's not limited to U2 fans, but I totally understand what you mean. And because I've seen it among fans of other people/shows, I tend to not really let the weirdos affect my overall opinion of U2 fans.

I mean holy cripes, there are a gajillion of us all over the world, at various levels of obsession - it boggles my mind to think of how many fans they have. We're only a small (slightly crazy) subset. :wink:

Anyway, yeah, I know what you mean. In a weird way, I do actually find it kind of interesting to observe and wonder why people get that way. Makes me wish I were a sociologist or something!

God, I'm so long-winded.

Back
Top Bottom