Shuttlecock XXXIII: Is Bono Actually Enrico Palazzo? Discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having tire blowouts on the way home from work in the middle of summer is a fun way to start the weekend. It was a mess in so many ways, that it is now almost funny. I wasn't laughing yesterday though.

Having tire blowouts on the way home from work in the middle of summer is a fun way to start the weekend. It was a mess in so many ways, that it is now almost funny. I wasn't laughing yesterday though.

I had a FB post a few weeks ago, blew out two at once....was lucky I was on a winding road where the speed limit was 20 mph or I'd have been fucked.

Glad you're ok.

I was just pulling off of the freeway, and probably ran over something on the exit, so it was good in a "non-dangerous" respect, but bad in a "a billion people driving by the entire time" respect. I pulled off the exit and went a quarter of a block to find some room to put the spare on. It's in the high 90's at the lowest, and I'm in my clothes for work. Luckily I had a t-shirt on underneath a polo shirt, or I would have sweated even more than I ended up sweating, which seems impossible.

I open up the trunk and get the spare out. Then I start searching around and can't find the jack. I call the previous owner, and he has no clue where it was or if it was even there to begin with. While I'm on the phone with him, I turn around and a highway patrolman is pulling up behind me. I hang up and the highway patrolman and some other guy he has in the car get out and bring a jack and a tire wrench over. We take the cover off of the rim, and realize immediately that Volkswagens use some crazy bolt that is too small for standard tire wrenches. We also realize that using the jack on my car would ruin the trim around the bottom. They come over to the trunk with me, and we spend 10 minutes searching for the jack and tool kit. We're all taking turns looking in the user manual and trying to figure out where it's supposed to be. We finally find the jack, but no tool kit. They finally realize that they can't help, so they end up leaving . I tear apart the trunk, and finally find the tool kit 20 or so minutes later jammed under part of the back seat.

I take the wrench over to the tire, and immediately realize that the tires were put on with a pneumatic gun, and it's going to be hell to get them off. over the course of everything I've described above, I was getting calls from one of my friends (I was supposed to be going to another friend's bachelor party), calls from the previous owner, and texts from another person. I'm attempting to call people back while I'm literally standing on top of the wrench with all of my weight trying to get the lugnuts off. It probably took me another 30 minutes or so to get them all off.

I then proceeded to spend about 15 minutes trying to figure out how in the hell the weird ass German jack worked, as it was different than any jack I'd ever seen before. I finally get it up and on, and realize the car didn't have the e-brake on, and it rolled off the jack (luckily the blow out was still on it, so it didn't come crashing down on me). I throw the e-brake on, come back over, and finally get the tire off and put the spare on. By the time I get everything done and drove away, all tire shops were closed. I didn't trust my own replacement abilities after that fiasco to drive 60 miles to my friend's bachelors party, so had to call and say sorry.

It was a huge comedy of errors upon errors. A simple tire replacement that would have taken me 30 mins max on any other car ended up being about 3 times that long. My back now feels like that of an old man's from the initial attempts at loosening the lug nuts, and my manhood has also received it's own humbling. I will not be asked by any German race car drivers to work in their pit crew any time soon. :wink:

I've only ever blew out a tire once and that was on the way into Disneyland of all places. It was also the only time I've ever had to change a tire, and we (myself and ex-GF) must have been quite the sight as people passed us in the parking lot. Comedy of errors, indeed.

Thankfully, I've never had that happen. *knock on wood*

Glad you're okay, mofo. Thta sort of thing just blows the big one.

I'm downloading the first bootleg to pop up of the show from last night - if the recording is any better than what's on YouTube, I'll send out a link to the new songs. :)

Scumbo - Don't you have AAA or some auto club you could have called for help? Sorry you had so much trouble. I had a tire blowout when I was in my late teens/early 20s. It was a 69 Impala, and in downtown L.A.. on the 10 Freeway. Enough said. :crack:

Scumbo - Don't you have AAA or some auto club you could have called for help?

Nah. Gotta use the stuff I learned in Boy Scouts in some way, and knot tying and orienteering don't seem to prove themselves as useful as I was told as a kid. :wink: If I had a non-German car, It would have taken me 30 mins max. Now that I have located the damn tool kit for this one, it will take me probably 20 if it happens again in the future. Not a big deal.

Have decent quality versions of any of the other new songs surfaced yet?

Yeah, that bootleg is really great. :up:

One of my friends emailed me yesterday and asked if she could invite some other people to my birthday gathering (not really a party, more just another excuse to go out for karaoke with my karaoke gang).

I asked her for context - are they people I know?

She responds, and she lists 5 people, 2 of whom I know (and like just fine, although I hadn't invited them).

Am I being weird for thinking that was weird? I mean, it's not really a party, we're just going for karaoke at a bar, but honestly, I kind of wanted to keep it to be my own little core group of karaoke friends. I might invite a few of my coworkers who aren't karaoke pals, but is it weird to ask someone if you can bring strangers to their birthday gathering?

I responded and asked if she could maybe invite them to a future karaoke outing instead. She said "whatever you say, birthday girl!" I'm taking that to mean she's fine with it, but I felt kind of bad saying no.

Am I being weird for not letting her bring other friends, since it's just hanging at a small bar? Honestly, the more people there, the more people in the queue for singing, and as I'm the birthday girl, I want to be able to sing as much as possible, so there's that. :wink:

But even that aside, is that weird to ask someone that, or am I being pouty and should get over it and let her bring her other friends?

It's your birthday gathering, and it seems weird that she's asking to bring 5 friends, 3 of which you don't know & two that you hadn't invited in the first place. I like the way you handled it, and mentioned to bring them at another time. That's just me :up:

Thanks, guys. I do tend to overthink things. I never want to upset my friends and will worry quite a bit even if I have the mere inkling that I might have offended someone I care about.

No worries, I'd worry about offending or upsetting them if it was me as well.

I'm so happy it's Monday and I'm at work!!!

:angry:

I'm soooo glad I took today off, although I probably could have made it into work without too much pain today.

Got home from Van Morrison about 12:30 this morning; it didn't take as long to get home as I had thought. Thank god my friend was driving, though. The last hour or so was pretty rough.

No worries, I'd worry about offending or upsetting them if it was me as well.

I'm so happy it's Monday and I'm at work!!!

:angry:

Boo, work. Luckily, I'll be unemployed at the end of this week myself. :| I worked my ass off for them for the past five months and they're saying 'Don't let the door hit you on the way out.' I feel seriously cheated. All that work and what did it get me? Why did I do it? For a thousand-dollar bonus and another month-long job search? Maybe longer, while my mom is out of work, too? Thanks a lot.

Hey, Scumbo, if you're a Brian Posehn fan, he's gonna be at Wiseguys at Trolley Square Friday night.

I sadly had to look up who he was, then was immediately mad to realize I didn't know his name since he's great. I will be in Park City celebrating my sister's birthday this weekend though, unfortunately. It's been a family obligations heavy few weeks.

I just saw it on geekshow.com and figured I'd let you know, just in case you were a fan.

Upon further reflection, it's still up in the air. I got all excited the other day and wanted to see the first US show. I don't know if I should be springing for an extra trip with Ireland on the horizon.

We'll see if I strike it rich between now and then.

I sure hope so.

On second thought....

dem_fu.gif
right back at you

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom