Shuttlecock XXXIII: Is Bono Actually Enrico Palazzo? Discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are a few pics from my trip yesterday. More on Facebook, if you're interested.

074.jpg

054-1.jpg

014.jpg

I really loved driving westward across the state on my road trip some years back. It was just great. Wide open spaces, and then we got to the Tetons/Yellowstone, which was just ... :drool:

What a fucking fantastic day yesterday.

Every act I saw were tight and in top form.

The Walkmen started things off for me and I loved every minute of it, even though they deserved more than their allotted 30 minutes. Jimmy Cliff was a lot of fun; Pavement rocked my socks off; Stars were great, if not a bit flat at times, surprisingly given Montreal is their home base; Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros was a revelation for me, and many others as well, judging from the rapturous audience response.

Then the one-two punch of The National and Arcade Fire. The National played on the second stage next to the main one, so I opted to stay where I was, which was front row of the main stage in anticipation of Arcade Fire. Nevertheless, given that the stages were next to one another, I had a decent view of half the band (plus the video screen just to my right). I loved their set, Matt was in fine form, and I loved hearing Mr. November in person more than I can tell you.

Now for the show-stopper. I should preface this by stating that for sentimental reasons U2 will always be my de-facto favourite band, but for all intents and purposes, Arcade Fire is at the top for me.

Their set was lively, energetic, great pacing, even funny little quips from Win, and lots of Régine speaking in French to the adoring crowd, which by this point had swelled to more than 30,000. As far as some of the best performances I've ever seen by any band, that 90-minute set had to be near the top. It was absolutely inspiring, and it helps that I love the new material to pieces. They debuted Deep Blue, which was okay, and Sprawl II, which I sang at the top of my lungs.

Adding to the magic of the night were nearby fireworks that coincided with the opening notes of Rococo and lasted 30 minutes. (There is an international fireworks competition in Montreal every summer, and bands that play at that particular venue on Saturday nights sometimes have to compete with them. In August 2008, Thom Yorke was initially charmed by the fireworks, but then started cursing them, much to my amusement).

And I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better one-two live punch than Power Out into Rebellion (Lies). That was such an intense moment, that I had almost no energy left for anything that came after that.

So that's it. A wonderful day.

Still jealous.

I saw Arcade Fire in Portland a few years back, and it was a good show, but I wasn't blown away, maybe because I was there alone, and it was an old theater with seats, so there wasn't much room to go crazy.

Then I saw them in Seattle a few months later in a GA setting. I couldn't see anything, so my friend and I moved to the lower levels of seats and found a spot behind our row of chairs to dance and go nuts. It was AWESOME.

Like BoMac, U2 is a different thing and in its own separate category, but aside from those fools, that second AF show was probably the best show I've ever seen. I had so much fun and was just so energized and excited.

Good for you, BoMac.

Arcade Fire plays Philly tomorrow night with Spoon. I cannot attend, which moves me to 1-for-4 this year on concerts. Still, the 1 was The National, and as BoMac and others can attest, that certainly means a lot.

Still have last night's performance on my mind. Probably ranks in my Top 3 concerts of all-time, it was that perfect in my mind.

I mean, excuse me, but holy fucking shit.

This.

I actually came in here right now to ask what the word is out of the rehearsals.

I'm over the moon about that first song. That was one of the songs I thought they should have played last leg because I think it's tailor-made for their stage set-up.

What's also good is that it's clearly not a fake like that Pride thing from earlier in the week, because Bono fucks up the lyrics.

I like that he changed it to "... if you're alive at 53." SEE, IT'S NEW AND REAL, GUYS!!!

Obviously it's tough to make out exactly what's going on, and I wasn't listening as closely as I possibly can, but I like what I hear in that "new" song. Songs like a fun rocker with a nice Edge riff and some shouty Bono vocals.

In the chorus he's singing something similar to the "NO! LINE!" thing from NLOTH II, but the words are different. Clearly. It's catchy. I may listen again right now.

Touch my monkey.

Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!

*cue German 90s techno*

BoMac, great festival review. I'm even more jealous now hearing how good it was.

Similar to you and others, while U2 is my all time favorite band, they're no where near being my present or contemporary favorite.

What was the sprockets dance move where they would show a slow motion clip of a fish jumping in the air, then they would mimic it? the flounder?

BoMac, great festival review. I'm even more jealous now hearing how good it was.

Similar to you and others, while U2 is my all time favorite band, they're no where near being my present or contemporary favorite.

Thanks. Two days later and I still can't believe what I saw and heard.

Apparently yesterday's lineup - which I sadly did not go see because I was out of town - which included Metric, Snoop Dogg, and Weezer, among others, did very well indeed. One local reviewer called Weezer's set the best show of the year. Too bad I wasn't able to make it.

To your second comment I say this: I don't think there will come a time when there will be a band capable of sending me into complete fanboy mode just based off a 4-minute video taken outside a far-off stadium where rehearsals are taking place for a tour that has not started yet, and of a song that may or may not be played when the shows start. Is it July yet?

I was attempting to perform an inception to make it so you like The Naked Gun and Highlander.

The trouble with having multiple friends with the same name.

Invite Jen #1 to go sailing with me on a friend's boat.

Accidentally send the directions and stuff to Jen #2.

Get email from Jen #2: "WHAT IS THIS?"

Get next email from Jen #2: "WHY DIDN'T YOU INVITE ME TO GO SAILING???"

Me: .... awkward.

I don't have to explain myself, and she's half kidding, but I feel bad for my mistake. Jen #2 is always inviting me to stuff, and I see her often. I told her I hadn't seen Other Jen in a long time, so I asked her.

The dangers of having multiple friends with the same name and being sloppy in your email sending.

The trouble with having multiple friends with the same name.

Invite Jen #1 to go sailing with me on a friend's boat.

Accidentally send the directions and stuff to Jen #2.

Get email from Jen #2: "WHAT IS THIS?"

Get next email from Jen #2: "WHY DIDN'T YOU INVITE ME TO GO SAILING???"

Me: .... awkward.

I don't have to explain myself, and she's half kidding, but I feel bad for my mistake. Jen #2 is always inviting me to stuff, and I see her often. I told her I hadn't seen Other Jen in a long time, so I asked her.

The dangers of having multiple friends with the same name and being sloppy in your email sending.
I have another friend named Dan. I'll occasionally get messages intended for him. Usually they have to do with going to the gym, and then we all have a laugh at the idea of me going to the gym.

Back
Top Bottom