Kaikoura, Te Wai Pounamu, Aotearoa (Kia Kaha, Aroha to all) Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I didn't know anyone over 15 listened to Taylor Swift, but then again, what would I know. Poptimism isn't my wheelhouse.

I suspect my radio use and dating younger women is starting to be apparent

Nah, just my snobbery and being uninterested in mainstream pop.

But you're right about recognising the title. Bugger all idea how it goes. Did she also do "Single Ladies"? And I'd recognise the name of whatever song of hers pissed off white conservative people at that Super Bowl performance.

Also, I didn't know anyone over 15 listened to Taylor Swift, but then again, what would I know. Poptimism isn't my wheelhouse.

If you just listen to random popular stuff and have no particular interest in music specifically, you're not going to know a whole lot beyond Taylor Swift.

The music taste of most people I work with ranges from terrible to non-existent.

If you just listen to random popular stuff and have no particular interest in music specifically, you're not going to know a whole lot beyond Taylor Swift.

The music taste of most people I work with ranges from terrible to non-existent.

I like both kinds of music; country and western.

I jest, but working at home, mostly don't have to deal with other people's music tastes now. Indeed since I turned off the Jays, not at all.

Probably I do hear some of these 'so popular right now' artists, but just if the radio is playing at the shop I walk into for two minutes to buy something. I hear it, I sense that it's pretty awful, but there's such a sameness to that generic shite after a while that I wouldn't know whether some of it is the 'mainstream' pop artists who get talked about in Bang & Clatter or not.

Are we talking about pop music?

Apparently.

Though jesus whenever I look at the charts it's stuff I have actually never heard of. Like who the fuck are The Chainsmokers and why do they have such a terrible name? At least when there are hits by Katy Perry or Taylor Swift I know people who listen to them.

I like both kinds of music; country and western.

I jest, but working at home, mostly don't have to deal with other people's music tastes now. Indeed since I turned off the Jays, not at all.

Probably I do hear some of these 'so popular right now' artists, but just if the radio is playing at the shop I walk into for two minutes to buy something. I hear it, I sense that it's pretty awful, but there's such a sameness to that generic shite after a while that I wouldn't know whether some of it is the 'mainstream' pop artists who get talked about in Bang & Clatter or not.

Yeah, I do love having a job where I can just listen to whatever I want, whenever I want.

But when people ask me what I'm listening to and I tell them, the usual response is "who's that?" There are a bunch of people at work who are quite into their music, and who play in bands, but their tastes are so different to mine that we really have nothing in common, e.g. I work with one of the guys from the Melbourne Ska Orchestra.

Apparently.

Though jesus whenever I look at the charts it's stuff I have actually never heard of. Like who the fuck are The Chainsmokers and why do they have such a terrible name? At least when there are hits by Katy Perry or Taylor Swift I know people who listen to them.

They're yet another group of producers that get other people to sing their songs and yet get all the credit.

They have like three songs I know. I only like one of them, but I REALLY like the one I like.

I suspect my desire to keep up with current music (not stay current and go to much of it) is the best teachers I had, the ones who I felt drove me to actually get out of bed every day, had some idea of what music we were into, could run with the jokes etc.

Also being 28 in a course with 19-20 year olds....I'm dragged in anyway.

To be fair, so am I.

It helps that on my old car I had a choice of a volume dial or a frequency dial.

I opted for volume, and the radio station my ex girlfriend left it on.

"I hate this music but damnit this shit's going to eleven anyway!"

It's a rarity, but it really is well done. I'm looking forward to (and wish I had any reason to contribute to) the books on this.

I bet whoever made those Quake Cats ans Quake Dogs books is already working on a follow-up!

Yeah, I do love having a job where I can just listen to whatever I want, whenever I want.

But when people ask me what I'm listening to and I tell them, the usual response is "who's that?" There are a bunch of people at work who are quite into their music, and who play in bands, but their tastes are so different to mine that we really have nothing in common, e.g. I work with one of the guys from the Melbourne Ska Orchestra.

Ska Band Outnumbers Audience

Also I can't believe it but I know who The Chainsmokers are. Their one song that I heard was forgettable drivel, but hey, that's to be expected. Also, pretty sure none of them chainsmoke.

Part of me is almost surprised today's strict anti-promotion of smoking laws haven't caused them problems with a name like that.

And there we go, that's the weekend's housework done. Now to return to playing Prince of Persia like I'm nine years old again.

Stunning revelation: I'm better at it now.

I can't believe infomercials are still a thing. Sure, it made sense in the 1990s, before everybody had the Internet. Now?!

Remember when "as seen on TV" was some sort of endorsement? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom