Gnaw Bone, Indiana Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver, if you're touring the US you should swing by Portland, it's a wonderful city, it's kind of cool you're seeing the heartland, but I have relatives out in Michigan and Ohio and those places suck compared to Oregon

Just got back to Melbourne. Will catch up on the thread soon, but yes, I originally intended to go to Portland in February for Pinback but that clashed with a work commitment, so I saw Pinback in Seattle instead (and got to meet cori!). I fucking loved Seattle, and hope to make it to Portland some day soon.

I also did not expect to enjoy Missouri half as much as I did.

I went to both Seattle and Portland for my first time last fall. Both beautiful, awesome cities. The company I work for now is based in Seattle so I look forward to going back often.

I was going to suggest "Knob Lick, Missouri" as a superthread title (a place I've been to) but I see it was used already ;)

Last edited:
well, i just bit the bullet and sent a complaint email to the head of my college's department. here's hoping it goes better than the last time i complained back when i was in undergrad.

The urban decay is fascinating. I always tried to imagine how those areas might have been 50 or 100 years ago. My experiences there are part of the reason I studied urban planning in college. It was so extremely different to where I had grown up.

In my experience, East STL wasn't as dangerous because its so abandoned and spread out, and like you said, tons of urban forest/fields. It only has a population of like 30k now.

Hope you enjoy Chicago. Its fantastic. :up:

I would've liked the opportunity to see more of East St Louis, but I honestly felt uncomfortable, not in the sense of fearing for my safety, but that I didn't want to seem like I was gawking at where these people live. It's the only part of the US where I took no photos.

I spent a couple of days in Chicago at the start of March, and then that one night and morning a few days ago before flying home. It was fun, but Chicago didn't quite blow me away like some other cities.

seriously, i think i finally got my boyfriend (who as you saw has curly hair) to realise that no, it's not dandruff*, it's just that 2-in-1 isn't very moisturising. i got him some separate shampoo and conditioner made especially for curly hair and amazingly his curls are now tamed and defined, just as he said they'd have to be in order for him to grow out his hair a little.

it's kinda like they make products for specific hair types. i think it's cute though how clueless a lot of guys are about beauty products. whenever i explain anything about hair stuff to him like styling stuff or hair dye (he asks!), he's amazed that i know this stuff, even after i tell him this is the kind of stuff cosmo writes about.

*i know dandruff exists and is a thing, but i could tell he just had a dry, flaky scalp and not dandruff.

I used a 2-in-1 until I started getting my hair straightened purely because I was lazy and stingy. And yeah, no wonder I wasn't entirely happy with my hair.

I'm still never happy with it, but at least it sort of does what I want it to. And it feels a fuck-tonne better.

I went to both Seattle and Portland for my first time last fall. Both beautiful, awesome cities. The company I work for now is based in Seattle so I look forward to going back often.

I was going to suggest "Knob Lick, Missouri" as a superthread title (a place I've been to) but I see it was used already ;)

I definitely need to spend more time in Seattle. It charmed me so much while I was there. The crazily variable weather reminded me of home back in Wellington too.

And damnit, I should have totally tried to go to Knob Lick. :lol: I've ticked off quite a few Superthread locations but I don't think I passed through any on my recent adventures.

I stepped in a puddle deeper than the ocean. Now sitting in class not wearing shoes.

Yay.

I was doing very well getting around Québec City in the snow, not getting my feet soaked, until I tried to get a better angle for a photo, didn't look, and plunged one foot right into a really deep puddle of freshly melted water.

Luckily it was close to when I planned to return to the hotel anyway. I didn't want my one day in proper snowy weather to end in a frozen foot.

I know I've talked about the "short person problem" I have where my pants always drag on the ground, meaning they get SOAKED if there's even a little bit of moisture on the ground (they wick it up halfway to my knees).

My back yard has more moss than actual grass, so it gets really soggy when there's been rain. So I have a pair of platform shoes that I wear when I have to go out into the yard, to save my pants.

Picture me now: I'm sprawled on the couch, legs propped up on the coffee table, wearing a Transformers t-shirt (stolen from boyfriend) and pajama pants. I'm watching a comedy about old people, and eating a chocolate bar. Effort is beyond me.

So today we needed to call IT to send someone up to fix the data projector. Due to "health and safety" we had to be out of the big classroom while the IT person used a ladder to get up to the ceiling mounted projector.

Oh, did I say ladder? I meant wait for us to be out of the room to climb on a swivel chair to fix the issue.

Most spectacular feat I've seen was at my last job. Being an old department store, it had very high ceilings with long rows of fluorescent lights. An outside company was tasked with coming in to deal with the lights. This involved a two man team and a large rolling scaffold. One man stands on top of this device, and pulls himself along by grabbing the lights, while the other man was on the ground pushing from behind. From clear across the store, well above the tops of all the shelves, I see this man zooming fast as can be down the row of lights, stopping occasionally to tighten or change a bulb.

And also speaking of health and safety, today in bio lab we were supposed to do blood typing, and I assumed we would be you know, using blood. Like our own blood.

NOPE. They had some kind of weird synthetic blood liquid that we had to use instead. Because apparently it's not safe to have students poking their fingers and possibly exposing each other to blood.

And also speaking of health and safety, today in bio lab we were supposed to do blood typing, and I assumed we would be you know, using blood. Like our own blood.

NOPE. They had some kind of weird synthetic blood liquid that we had to use instead. Because apparently it's not safe to have students poking their fingers and possibly exposing each other to blood.

It must be a sad fucking life being the health and safety officer...

Saw you went to a couple Duran Duran shows. How were they? How did the songs off Paper Gods sound?

So today we needed to call IT to send someone up to fix the data projector. Due to "health and safety" we had to be out of the big classroom while the IT person used a ladder to get up to the ceiling mounted projector.

Oh, did I say ladder? I meant wait for us to be out of the room to climb on a swivel chair to fix the issue.

Oh boy, OH&S. My work has had a ridiculous reply-all email discussion today because we're apparently not allowed to store bikes in offices any more. So you've got a ridiculous demand, then people replying-all, then people getting mad about people replying-all, then... you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom