Boonoo Boonoo River, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they're like, the only machines I've ever used in all my life, I'm probably like that person born with a missing limb who doesn't know any different.

I'm still trying to figure out how you people with normal eyesight can possibly see any better than I can. I usually attribute it to magic.

But back to pieces of electronic shit, I'm reminded of the bit in that old Flanagan book about how when U2 started out, Edge was using the shittiest, cheapest, nastiest effects gear imaginable, cause they were skint (well at first that was why). But he got this amazing work out of it. Why? He's an artist.

Now he's probably got more state of the art equipment than many minor African republics, but the great work is rarely to be seen.

Brad Laner created one of my all time favourite shoegaze riffs, "One More" by Medicine, by running his guitar through a four-track recorder as if it were an effects pedal because he was super poor and had very little gear. (It's not for the faint of shoegaze-heart; an ability to endure/appreciate/love the first few minutes is my test of how shoegaze a person is.)

We shouldn't idealise the starving artist but bolts of inspiration and original workarounds that produce startling results rarely occur in a multi-millionaire's high end swanky studio-cum-palace-cum-medium sized town.

Brad Laner created one of my all time favourite shoegaze riffs, "One More" by Medicine, by running his guitar through a four-track recorder as if it were an effects pedal because he was super poor and had very little gear. (It's not for the faint of shoegaze-heart; an ability to endure/appreciate/love the first few minutes is my test of how shoegaze a person is.)

We shouldn't idealise the starving artist but bolts of inspiration and original workarounds that produce startling results rarely occur in a multi-millionaire's high end swanky studio-cum-palace-cum-medium sized town.

The lesson I draw is to idealise neither the starving artist nor the plush, fat and happy artist, but rather to say that the artist is better than their tools. Always.

But back to pieces of electronic shit, I'm reminded of the bit in that old Flanagan book about how when U2 started out, Edge was using the shittiest, cheapest, nastiest effects gear imaginable, cause they were skint (well at first that was why). But he got this amazing work out of it. Why? He's an artist.

Now he's probably got more state of the art equipment than many minor African republics, but the great work is rarely to be seen.

Now the Edge uses this unit, which is basically the Cadillac or the Rolls Royce of the effect unit (at least for his guitar)* Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Fx II Guitar Processor, Preamp, effects processor, amp modeler, guitar effects, amp modeling

this unit, ironically, needs constant update on its firmware and software. who knew?

These days there are so many choices of effect units. No need for terrible DIY gear, I guess.

Now the Edge uses this unit, which is basically the Cadillac or the Rolls Royce of the effect unit (at least for his guitar)* Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Fx II Guitar Processor, Preamp, effects processor, amp modeler, guitar effects, amp modeling

this unit, ironically, needs constant update on its firmware and software. who knew?

These days there are so many choices of effect units. No need for terrible DIY gear, I guess.

Oh I think I'd respect the Edge a lot more if he did use terrible DIY gear. And grew a combover too.

You know, I never would have thought of myself as someone with any interest in pub rock... and I'm not, really... but bit by bit my obsession with Midnight Oil has taken me back to the cusp of the 1980s and 'Place Without A Postcard'. Even then they were better than pub rock, but that is still, palpably, the world they are slowly emerging from. Love it. Dirty, melodic (more in the guitars than the, ah, singer), powerful. Choice cuts: Lucky Country, Don't Wanna Be The One, Quinella Holiday.

I'm not a muso and so don't discuss music in technical terms, but there's something to be said for a band with two lead guitarists. Television had that too, no?

Last edited:
I'm not a muso and so don't discuss music in technical terms, but there's something to be said for a band with two lead guitarists. Television had that too, no?

Yeah, Television had two (lead) guitar players; I can't really think other band with 2 shredders/soloists; Wilco kinda falls into this category but often times Nels is the only one playing, so.......Most bands have dedicated rhythm and lead players. Boring, but works like champ in many bands like ACDC and Metallica.

What about Sleater Kinney, or am I dreaming? I believe they don't have a bassist, and I'm pretty sure all of them who aren't the drummer play guitars.

I realised just how much Wilco owe to Television the first time I heard Marquee Moon (the song, but the album applies too). That's not meant in a pejorative way.

What about Sleater Kinney, or am I dreaming? I believe they don't have a bassist, and I'm pretty sure all of them who aren't the drummer play guitars.

I realised just how much Wilco owe to Television the first time I heard Marquee Moon (the song, but the album applies too). That's not meant in a pejorative way.

sorry, I'm not too familiar with Slater Kinney but it seems to be that they do have 2 guitar players.

What's amazing is that Nels Cline, Wilco's current lead guitar player, is also heavily influenced by Tom Verlaine. too bad I can't really see guitar duel between Nels and Jeff as Nels often just threads/plays like a madman and Jeff admits that he can't really do that.

randomly, I recently decided to listen to Entroducing, DJ SHadow's debut album. you know what? instrumental hip hop isn't too bad. I like this album immensely

OK folks, Super Rugby final tonight. My Wellington Hurricanes vs the Lions from Johannesburg. Gather around!

This is the second year in a row that whoever wins the final will be a first-time winner; last year Otago lifted their first ever title by downing the Hurricanes - in Wellington too. It stung, but I have a soft spot for Otago. This time around? Not only would it sting to fall at the final hurdle again, but it would be immeasurably worse for it to be to a South African team (though you can't deny the fairytale aspect; the Lions were relegated from the comp for the 2013 season, and for them to come back and now be finalists is unbelievable).

At the start of the season it looked like Wellington wouldn't replicate last year's grand final appearance. But then we fought back, despite a plethora of injuries, and by an astonishing turn of events in the last week somehow emerged minor premiers. The Lions will hate that they sent a second-string team to Argentina in the last week and lost the chance to host the final. Instead they have to come to a wet and cold Wellington, and no South African team has ever won any final in New Zealand.

I'm so nervous. But we've got Beauden Barrett, surely the best and most exciting rugby player on the planet right now. Cannot believe what he can do. TJ Perenara is fantastic right now too. CARN THE 'CANES!

My god Wellington's defence is fierce, and forces an awesome try. This has been a great final so far. And my boy Beauden nails a bloody difficult conversion too!

Dane Coles goes off with possibly broken ribs.

His replacement has to leave the field for the blood rule.

Coles comes back on. Fuck me this man is tough.

Ten minutes to destiny and we're 17 points up. This is so close I can almost believe. COME ON WELLINGTON!

Oh my god I think this is about to happen. Four minutes to go and still 17 points up. We've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory so many times but I don't think it's possible here. I won't believe it until the siren goes but- but- !!!

WE DID IT! WE ACTUALLY DID IT! After 21 years of heartbreak and disappointment, Wellington have finally won the Super Rugby! And we did it while somehow not conceding a single try in the entire finals series. What a breathtakingly well timed run.

Oh wow. I don't have dry eyes, I really never expected to see this day. Beauden Barrett you are a fucking god and Dane Coles is clearly the bravest person in the city (he's from my hometown too, born within a month of me - he must have gone to another school though because I never knew him).

Seriously, I've followed this team since the Super Rugby fucking began, since day one. All my childhood I wore a Hurricanes cap everywhere no matter how often they found new ways to let me down or drove us up the wall with inconsistency, lacing moments of brilliance with moments of incoherence. Even when we made the finals in the past there was a sense of it all inevitably going pearshaped, that we were out of our depth and couldn't match it with the likes of Canterbury. Slowly but surely all the other New Zealand teams won the tournament, and when it finally looked like it was our turn last year we coughed it up to Otago.

BUT WE'VE DONE IT NOW! WELLINGTON MY BOYS!

I have no doubt the last two years have been the greatest time ever to support Wellington and New Zealand.

First, we got to the Cricket World Cup final - and that semi-final might as well be some kind of trophy victory anyway. Then we became the first country to win back-to-back Rugby World Cups. Since Steve Hansen took over as coach of the All Blacks in 2012 we've been almost invincible, losing just 3 out of 57, an unbelievable run. Now the Hurricanes have done all of Wellington proud and knocked off the Super Rugby in such assured style.

It's hard to take in.

Any medals New Zealand picks up at the Olympics are just icing on the cake. Will we win the first Rugby 7s gold?

WE DID IT! WE ACTUALLY DID IT! After 21 years of heartbreak and disappointment, Wellington have finally won the Super Rugby! And we did it while somehow not conceding a single try in the entire finals series. What a breathtakingly well timed run.

Oh wow. I don't have dry eyes, I really never expected to see this day. Beauden Barrett you are a fucking god and Dane Coles is clearly the bravest person in the city (he's from my hometown too, born within a month of me - he must have gone to another school though because I never knew him).

Seriously, I've followed this team since the Super Rugby fucking began, since day one. All my childhood I wore a Hurricanes cap everywhere no matter how often they found new ways to let me down or drove us up the wall with inconsistency, lacing moments of brilliance with moments of incoherence. Even when we made the finals in the past there was a sense of it all inevitably going pearshaped, that we were out of our depth and couldn't match it with the likes of Canterbury. Slowly but surely all the other New Zealand teams won the tournament, and when it finally looked like it was our turn last year we coughed it up to Otago.

BUT WE'VE DONE IT NOW! WELLINGTON MY BOYS!

:) was wondering how emotionally connected to it you were - Union (aside from world level) just seems to get no traction for me or anyone I know.

Is this on the same level as Black Caps/All Blacks?

:) was wondering how emotionally connected to it you were - Union (aside from world level) just seems to get no traction for me or anyone I know.

Is this on the same level as Black Caps/All Blacks?

Yep. I mean, if you told me I could only have one of Black Caps/All Blacks/Hurricanes, I'd take either of the national teams first, but the provincial teams are massive too, a big part of any serious rugby fan's identity. That we'd been the perennial underperformers makes this all the more sweet.

That fear when you think you just sent an email to somebody super important and wrote the wrong name.

That relief when you check and you got it right.

In entirely unrelated news, I probably shouldn't write work emails after having had three glasses of wine.

Oh man I would not risk writing a discontented email of any description while intoxicated. If I must piss off people at work I'd rather do it with a clear head and a willingness to assert the rightness of my stance the next day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom