Boonoo Boonoo River, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just finished listening now. that was really interesting, axver! i agree with vlad, your enthusiasm is infectious. very fascinating to listen to. once i have the money, i'm gonna have to pick up a copy of the book. great interview! :up:

Thanks!

I just wish my voice sounded a bit deeper and more serious, like it does in my head. :lol:

Well what do you know, my interview with Graeme Hill has already led to an invitation to be on Mediawatch.

...no, not Media Watch, one of the few Aussie TV shows I make sure to watch weekly, but Mediawatch on Radio New Zealand. They want me to give a historical angle on the role of newspapers in shaping political outcomes. I'm quite excited about it, I love the old colonial newspapers and how they disprove this idea that newspapers today are so much more partisan than they used to be.

Hahaha.

Shame neither the University of Melbourne nor the University of Sydney are as impressed. Got knocked back for positions at both in the past week. Lucky me.

Would it be worthwhile to put your radio engagements on a resume? I mean, surely it'd entrench credibility.

I already do, I've even got praise from selection panels for it. Still waiting for that elusive job. :sigh:

I really wouldn't advise anybody to go into academia unless it is their one true passion.

I guess my case and field is different, as I can imagine a possible academic career later in my lifetime if everything progresses well enough.

only thing that guarantees good position in bioscience is to publish your paper on some ind of high profile scientific journals (like Nature, Science, Cell, etc). which is sad to know but somewhat reasonable?

Sorry, I've been at a conference this week.

On the upside I've sold a few copies of my book.

dead thread for a week had me like
giphy.gif

congrats ax! that's great.

i don't have any major accomplishments to report, although i did drive eight hours on very little sleep and also attend a concert the same day. i really don't recommend it, although i had fun.

Who did you see?

I'm so damn sleep deprived after the conference. Commuting from Melbourne to Ballarat was a killer. I was thinking of going to a couple of gigs over the weekend but I may be too exhausted!

I should have guessed!

The train from Ballarat to Melbourne is about 80-90 minutes. And then of course there was the whole getting-to-my-suburb thing once I got back to Melbourne. Doing that commute for a week was not a flash idea, especially as I stayed late in Ballarat most evenings. I'm still a bit tired!

Also, my department moved into a new building today. Or more to the point, a really heavily renovated version of our old building that we left in 2014. It had two wings, and they tore down and reconstructed one of them, while just renovating the interior of the other.

The problem is that the floors are now completely out of whack. It's so confusing. You literally walk from level six of the renovated wing to level four of the reconstructed wing without taking a single step. Trying to find my friends and where everybody's desks are located has been my adventure for the day so far!

i counted and this was my 11th show of theirs. i'm kinda bummed that this is my only show i'm seeing on this tour, but they're playing the exact same set every show (seriously, they just played two shows in chicago and they played the same set. i'd be peeved, although if you're a fan you'd be keeping up on this and you'd be prepared that the sets are as fresh as french toast).

i can imagine! i looked it up on google maps and just looked up the driving directions, knowing it'd be even longer by train, and then it'd be even longer since you live in the suburbs. i can't even imagine. there's crazy people out there who actually have 90 minute commutes each way. i can't imagine it. i'd just live in my office throughout the week. the 30 minute ones i usually have are enough to drive me insane.

hopefully you won't have to deal with anything crazy like that ever again!

I must admit I would've guessed that you'd have seen more of their shows than that!

And the Ballarat thing in theory should have been not too bad because I don't live too far from the CBD... but both my tram line and my train line were closed for maintenance last week! (They had replacement buses around the works but those take fucking forever.) So I had to take the next tram route over.

I must admit I would've guessed that you'd have seen more of their shows than that!

And the Ballarat thing in theory should have been not too bad because I don't live too far from the CBD... but both my tram line and my train line were closed for maintenance last week! (They had replacement buses around the works but those take fucking forever.) So I had to take the next tram route over.
i wish. there's been a couple shows i've wanted to go to but things just didn't work out, so had i been able to make all of those, it'd probably be more like 15 or something.

that sucks. buses definitely take way longer, they're such a pain. go for a couple minutes, stop. rinse, repeat.

ugh, i can no longer tell if i have a bias against this person or not. is it rude to stop by someone's house unannounced at 8:30 on a weeknight when you know someone works an 8-5 shift?
especially since i am sure he's only here to vent about his created drama and to try to finagle free booze or something...ugh

Just confirmed my timetable for next semester.

Most days I will spend longer getting to class than actually being in class.

I had such a cushy commute in my very first year of university - less than a ten minute walk from home to class - that I still view my current commute of 20-25 minutes to be "long".

If I get this job I want at La Trobe I don't know how I'll cope with the 70-80 minute commute.

ugh, i can no longer tell if i have a bias against this person or not. is it rude to stop by someone's house unannounced at 8:30 on a weeknight when you know someone works an 8-5 shift?
especially since i am sure he's only here to vent about his created drama and to try to finagle free booze or something...ugh

Definitely rude.

But then I'd be confused if ANYONE showed up unannounced at my place.

damn, the server ate my post. i'm relieved to see i'm not alone in thinking this is rude. especially since cell phones exist and are so commonplace, it's not hard to give someone a call first. this dude's such a mess anyway.

all this commute stuff is making me hope i can make freelancing work. my commute would be about a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom