Boonoo Boonoo River, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternatively you could stay up and kill off a large chunk of this thread with me.

I had actually thought of going to a gig tonight but clearly that's not happening.

Because it definitely needed some upping. Much like mine.

I wonder what will even happen to all the shit we've written on here.

Will it somehow survive, and some future historian will look back on it with some measure of fascination and some measure of just needing a good quote for their next publication?

Will it disappear completely, erased in the Great Internet Collapse of 2024?

Or will nobody give a shit whatsoever?

I wonder what will even happen to all the shit we've written on here.

Will it somehow survive, and some future historian will look back on it with some measure of fascination and some measure of just needing a good quote for their next publication?

Will it disappear completely, erased in the Great Internet Collapse of 2024?

Or will nobody give a shit whatsoever?

That's worryingly deep.

There is a thread on the first page of EYKIW with its most recent post over a month and a half ago, on 7 September.

I remember when I signed up on here, every thread on the first page of EYKIW would contain a post from the last 24 hours - or maybe 48 hours if it was a particularly slow period.

That's worryingly deep.

I think way too much about this shit.

I suppose it's a hazard of writing so much shit about the past - you also wonder what the future's conception of now will be.

Or we could blame the bottle of red I'm onto now.

There is a thread on the first page of EYKIW with its most recent post over a month and a half ago, on 7 September.

I remember when I signed up on here, every thread on the first page of EYKIW would contain a post from the last 24 hours - or maybe 48 hours if it was a particularly slow period.

We must be as motivated as the band themselves

I think way too much about this shit.

I suppose it's a hazard of writing so much shit about the past - you also wonder what the future's conception of now will be.

Or we could blame the bottle of red I'm onto now.

I do wonder what someone would think if they read the threads from thread one until now.

What a fucking set of storylines

I don't mind posting from a tablet, but autocorrect is a bitch.

I still don't know how some people just use their phones for the Internet these days. Sure, I post on here and elsewhere from my phone often, but I prefer to do it from my computer.

I now have a desktop as my primary computer, for the first time since 2009, and it's funny, I actually realise it has some serious advantages.

Oddly, good God covers that forum from the beginning of time.

Not wrong.

But OK, let's take Lemonade Stand. It has a thread on the first page with the most recent post from October 2015! Fuck me.

I still don't know how some people just use their phones for the Internet these days. Sure, I post on here and elsewhere from my phone often, but I prefer to do it from my computer.

I now have a desktop as my primary computer, for the first time since 2009, and it's funny, I actually realise it has some serious advantages.

I often feel really constrained by my tablet and just have to use my laptop. Might set my desktop back up once I'm a bit more organised.

I do wonder what someone would think if they read the threads from thread one until now.

What a fucking set of storylines

I hope they get paid well for their time and have lots of alcohol, that's for sure.

I often feel really constrained by my tablet and just have to use my laptop. Might set my desktop back up once I'm a bit more organised.

I've never understood the need for a tablet. I have an iPhone and a Macbook. Do I really need something in between? Hell, if it weren't for travel, I'm not sure I'd even need the laptop now.

For the most part, what's left of this forum (ie in the larger sense, Feedback) is self-selecting. A variety of factors lead me to stick around a little bit in a few sections, but there are other places where I don't think I could post without losing my temper at this point.

Hence, self-selecting, and self-reinforcing. Depending on your outlook, all the interesting people have either gotten bored or been driven off. Again, this varies depending on what sections of the larger forum we are talking about.

As for the future, I believe that the present time will be a great big blank to scholars half a millennium from now. All it would take is another Carrington Event. In the shorter term, I'm sure much of the content on message boards and blogs of some importance (to some people) will survive in one form or another on at least a time scale of decades. Pretty sure the Library of Congress would find a spot for the Great Presidential Thread of 2016 if nothing else.

Not wrong.

But OK, let's take Lemonade Stand. It has a thread on the first page with the most recent post from October 2015! Fuck me.

I don't even care enough to look apart from here. I've got other things in life to put ahead of a band and a majority of forum that don't rate as highly.

Yet I still stuff around online too much.

I don't use a phone either, for anything online, and the prevalence of autocorrect and the like makes a lot of people who are really smart come off as borderline illiterate at times. At least with me it's just typos, fuck them if I don't notice them before my grace period for editing is up.

I've never understood the need for a tablet. I have an iPhone and a Macbook. Do I really need something in between? Hell, if it weren't for travel, I'm not sure I'd even need the laptop now.

I use it for convenience at University. Can bring up what I need without lugging a laptop around. If I need to do more intensive work than reading, I'll bring the laptop.

Still all about handwritten notes.

I don't use a phone either, for anything online, and the prevalence of autocorrect and the like makes a lot of people who are really smart come off as borderline illiterate at times. At least with me it's just typos, fuck them if I don't notice them before my grace period for editing is up.

I could turn autocorrect off, but mine is starting to get me. If I say fuck, it keeps fuck. If I mistype fuck, it changes it for me.

For the most part, what's left of this forum (ie in the larger sense, Feedback) is self-selecting. A variety of factors lead me to stick around a little bit in a few sections, but there are other places where I don't think I could post without losing my temper at this point.

Hence, self-selecting, and self-reinforcing. Depending on your outlook, all the interesting people have either gotten bored or been driven off. Again, this varies depending on what sections of the larger forum we are talking about.

As for the future, I believe that the present time will be a great big blank to scholars half a millennium from now. All it would take is another Carrington Event. In the shorter term, I'm sure much of the content on message boards and blogs of some importance (to some people) will survive in one form or another on at least a time scale of decades. Pretty sure the Library of Congress would find a spot for the Great Presidential Thread of 2016 if nothing else.

I mainly use the "new posts" section to browse on here, so I see the threads coming up from sections of the forum where I am not a regular and I cannot even imagine clicking on them. But perhaps the proof that this forum is moribund is that outside of the interminable game threads, there is rarely anything showing up on "new posts" that puts me off any more - it's usually threads from FYM or LS and its subforums (B&C seems to be the most active part of Interference these days), plus the various editions of the SOE thread. I'm guessing PLEBA is completely dead, and a lot of those other subforums were pretty quiet even back in the forum's heyday.

And one of the recurring topics among my fellow historians is definitely whether or not today will overwhelm future historians with the volume of material produced, or if it will be a blank for whatever reason. I suspect much will be inadvertently lost, and that the mid-twentieth century will emerge as the time of the greatest, most voluminous records. (Personally, I prefer working with the nineteenth century - not too many records as to overwhelm, but enough to give a reasonable spectrum of opinion and insight.)

I don't even care enough to look apart from here. I've got other things in life to put ahead of a band and a majority of forum that don't rate as highly.

Yet I still stuff around online too much.

I often wonder how I fill in so much time with this shit because most of the places I hang out are not tremendously active any more - and the places that are active are so active as to be rather impersonal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom