ZUNE is where it's at, IPODS are so yesterday.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I own one of those big fancy devices that you pop a cd into and you can carry it along with you wherever you go!!!

:cool:

quoting from wikipedia "It has been repeatedly reported that Microsoft employees, (Zune 'lobbyists,') have been going to forums and websites promoting the Zune, while at the same time, attacking its competitors. Microsoft has not made any comment on this as of December, 2006."

are you one of these people?
:eyebrow:

To be honest, nothing can compete with my ipod. It may freeze ALL the time, refuse to work for hours at a time and randomly loose songs off it.. but it looks just so damn cool!

I listen to a lot of fm

mostly public radio (which is hard to tune in on my home reciever)
the fm tuner on ZUNE (included) does a great job

as good or better than the tuner on my new volvo

i have thousands of mp3s and this is the format on ZUNE

the screen is great, very clear and bigger,

the ear bud cable is strong, i am a bit careless and lazy sometimes pick up the ZUNE by the cable.

to be honest I have not used ipods very much
i have bought two, one for my gf and one for her 11 year old

she checked out the ZUNE
and said it is better than her ipod

if you buy a lot of music, ipods has a much bigger selection

however, ZUNE song downloads are only 79 cents.

the menu is easy to navigate

it is a very solid little machine, i have dropped it a few times

i am not a big microsoft fan

i use firefox over explorer

i do believe they got this ZUNE right

Will it convert itunes purchases over to it's format? I heard it can, is it true?

partygirlvox said:
To be honest, nothing can compete with my ipod. It may freeze ALL the time, refuse to work for hours at a time and randomly loose songs off it.. but it looks just so damn cool!

I have been using the thing nonstop

no freezes or malfunctions of any kind

and it is very cool looking

i got the dark gray- black one

i almost got the chocolate brown one

oh,

and that community, sharing thing

i have not even bothered with it

i just leave it off

i have other devices that have infra-red

i don't use them

i may try it with the zune

i don't know anyone that has one yet

i guess it might be nice if i could say listen to this

instead of trying to encourage someone to download a song

imagine if all of the ipods out there could send songs back and forth

Lara Mullen said:
I own one of those big fancy devices that you pop a cd into and you can carry it along with you wherever you go!!!

:cool:

Same. Though not entirely by choice. It's big, it's bulky, and it's a bitch taking all my CDs along with me. Although, on the plus side, it forces me to listen to my albums the whole way through (which is how it should be.)

So wait, deep, this Zune thing can convert PROTECTED MP4s? On their website, they say that protected iTunes files can't be played on it...that's the one thing that's keeping me from buying any other digital music players other than iPods. Of the measley 3,186 songs on my computer, 297 of them were purchased through the iTunes shop. It would be a waste to purchase anything that couldn't play them.

Last edited:
on my desk top i have a quanity? of mp3s

in my downloading frenzy

i got a couple of mpegs? videos
and some of those MP4s? thingies (i did not buy them from itunes)

i don't use itunes

so the MP4s? just took up space

well when I hooked up ZUNE

i think they converted to wmas and then mp3s? I am not sure, it does it by itself

anyways I did not realized that I had a cool video of wake up by arcade fire w/ bowie until i looked on my videos on my ZUNE:wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Same. Though not entirely by choice. It's big, it's bulky, and it's a bitch taking all my CDs along with me. Although, on the plus side, it forces me to listen to my albums the whole way through (which is how it should be.)

I just take one cd so I am REALLY forced to listen to a whole album.

My sister gave me an mp3 player she got free for opening a bank account. I can put songs on it. I don't need to put thousands on it. I've only used about 5% of the space on it. I can listen to songs at the gym. That's all I really use it for.

Vinyl and cds and tapes. Bigger is better. :drool:

GibsonGirl said:
So wait, deep, this Zune thing can convert PROTECTED MP4s?
i wonder if this will get answered :hmm: i mean shit i can convert unprotected mp4s via itunes and play those wherever if i wanted to. but protected ones is a whole different story.

downloading a third party program or burning to a cd and ripping to mp3 would be a pain in the ass and not worth it imo.

Originally posted by GibsonGirl

So wait, deep, this Zune thing can convert PROTECTED MP4s?

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i wonder if this will get answered :hmm: i mean shit i can convert unprotected mp4s via itunes and play those wherever if i wanted to. but protected ones is a whole different story.

downloading a third party program or burning to a cd and ripping to mp3 would be a pain in the ass and not worth it imo.

i guess i don't have any PROTECTED MP4s

because I have never bought any from itunes

i do buy cds

which can be ripped to play on ipods or zunes and all other mp3 players

i am not sure if one buys a download from ZUNE for 79 cents if it is PROTECTED or not

if it is PROTECTED by ZUNE I won't be buying them

i do buy mp3s that are not PROTECTED

i want to use the ZUNE because I like it
not because I am held hostage :shrug:

Zune, like iPod, has a built-in lithium ion battery that's not easy to replace. Lithium ion batteries have a fairly short half life, so they will need to be replaced in a year or two. I chose the Sandisk Sansa e series because the user can change the battery easily, and it's a lot cheaper than the nano. I don't need a video screen anyway(even though it plays them) - it's too small to watch videos on.

Last edited:
The Zune still has some promise because Microsoft has thrown their weight behind it so I look forward to some useful firmware and software upgrades.

Still, it's thick, it's ugly, the Zune player software (re-branded WMP10) is a piece of shit compared with iTunes, and frankly any MP3 player that trys to slap its own Digital Rights Management onto my own unprotected MP3s deserves to burn in electronics department hell.

KhanadaRhodes said:

I don't download that much from itunes but with the ones I have I was able to convert protected ones. I burned them to a disc and ripped them to mp3 with wmp.:shh:

Canadiens1160 said:
and frankly any MP3 player that trys to slap its own Digital Rights Management onto my own unprotected MP3s deserves to burn in electronics department hell.

:rockon:

in summary

the reason

i prefer ZUNE

1. FM tuner - i use this 50% of the time, it will not record radio, btw
(iPod does not have this feature included)

2. I do not have to convert my mp3s to play on ZUNE. (I am not sure about if I buy a download from ZUNE (ms) if it is protected)

3. It has not froze or malfunctioned.
My iPod friends do experience this, sometimes)

If you own an iPod you should probably stick with it

If you do not own an iPod you may want to consider ZUNE. especially if you like to listen to free FM radio, like I do.

My hope is that ZUNE sticks around and improves. I do not expect ZUNE to come close to overtaking iPod.

It may be like computers, where PCs dominate, but apple computers have enough market share to survive and push PCs to improve

competition is good and prevents one supplier from getting lazy and not innovating

Last edited:
I love my iPod, but if the iPod had an FM tuner, it would be even better. That's the one feature of the Zune I would like.

Lara Mullen said:

My sister gave me an mp3 player she got free for opening a bank account. I can put songs on it. I don't need to put thousands on it. I've only used about 5% of the space on it. I can listen to songs at the gym. That's all I really use it for.

It’s such a shame that Northern Bank only saw fit to bestow upon me a two hundred and fifty-five megabyte memory stick, rather than ‘lending’ me a comparatively perfunctory mp3 player.

Some people have all the luck. Well, at least in regards to bank accounts. :wink:

yep, and remember the introduction of the zune has already lowered the prices on iPods.

It’s Official: The Zune Zucks

Early reviews are in on the Microsoft Zune, which debuts today. The consensus is….the Zune zucks.

The Zune has benefited from a tremendous amount of buzz. Unfortunately, it appears that Microsoft’s second attempt at an iPod/iTunes killer suffers seriously in comparision to its 5th generation competition.

* Engadget has a blow-by-blow walkthrough of installing the Zune software, saying that “Installing the Zune sucked.”
* PC World says it’s a good first effort, but “the Zune’s features don’t seem compelling enough to make it a serious threat to take a big chunk out of iPod sales.”
* Popular Mechanics calls the Zune “the husky, ugly cousin of the iPod”.
* Gizmodo says the brown Zune looks like it’s made of swamp water jello. We’re not sure what that means, but it sounds ugly.
* USA Today says “it’s no iPod.” Reviewer Edward C. Baig adds “I’d like to see more offerings in the store, and less stringent wireless restrictions. And Microsoft should rethink the silly points system. For now, I’m sticking with iPod.”
* The New York Times review, by David Pogue, agrees, noting that a list of things that iPods do that Zunes don’t could stretch to Steve Ballmer’s house and back 10 times.
* SeattlePI’s review is one of more the positive reviews, but concludes “We hate to send a Dear Zune after such a brief courtship, but at the end of the night there is no doubt who we’re going to go home with” (an iPod).
* WSJ’s Walt Mossberg liked several aspects of the Zune, but concludes that the “first Zune has too many compromises and missing features to be as good a choice as the iPod for most users.”
* Business Week calls the Zune “a dismal failure“.

While the first generation Zune has failed to impress most reviewers, Microsoft is already talking about updates to the Zune software and upgraded Zune hardware. It’s likely that Microsoft will make frequent updates to the Zune system in the next year, until it has a platform that has mass-market potential.

am i the only one that finds it ironic that when microsoft releases a new product, it's the SOFTWARE that gets slagged off the most?

oh wait, maybe thats not really that surprising...:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom