Yet another iPod question (Leaving it charged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WCF

The Fly
I have a stereo that has a built-in dock for my iPod nano. I like to leave it in there, even when it doesn't need charging, reason being I prefer playing the music off the stereo.

My question is: isn't this bad for the battery? I hear these sorts of batteries only go through 200-300 charges before dying, and I'm wondering if I'm just speeding it all up.

I'm aware that Apple has this in their FAQ, but it's not very clear.

I read a very cool thing from macworld about that, I can't find it now, but you may search it there...the point was that Apple recommends to drown the battery once a month for your iPod's battery help, also, just use it, it doesn't matter is connected in the dock a lot of time, since you are not using the battery charge by itself.
-FCA

In general with any rechargeable batter (iPods, laptops, AAs for your camera...) it's better to fully discharge them before recharging them. They do have limited recharge capabilities, and lesser quality batteries will sometimes re-calibrate incorrectly. For example, when I got my new laptop, if I used the batter to 50% a dozen times in a row, it's likely the battery would begin ignoring the other 50% of the battery and I'd never again be getting full battery life.

Does an iPod work plugged into a power source even when the battery dies for good? If so, then I suppose it doesn't really matter for you if you usually leave it docked/connected to power.

Thanks for the responses guys. Anyone know how much exactly it'll be hurting the battery? I've already made up my mind to not worry about it, but I'm just curious now.

martha said:
I change the music 3 times a week on my nano. Am I killing it?

I don't think your killing it, but you may want to take someone else's advice.

Liesje said:
In general with any rechargeable batter (iPods, laptops, AAs for your camera...) it's better to fully discharge them before recharging them. They do have limited recharge capabilities, and lesser quality batteries will sometimes re-calibrate incorrectly. For example, when I got my new laptop, if I used the batter to 50% a dozen times in a row, it's likely the battery would begin ignoring the other 50% of the battery and I'd never again be getting full battery life.

Does an iPod work plugged into a power source even when the battery dies for good? If so, then I suppose it doesn't really matter for you if you usually leave it docked/connected to power.

Actually, anything with a lithium-ion battery (iPods, most laptops), retains its battery life more if you DON'T completely discharge it before charging again. Something about keeping the atoms moving constantly. You should calibrate the battery once a month or so. Keeping the iPod plugged into a dock all the time lessens the charge cycles, probably lengthening the battery life.

Here's a couple links about batteries:
http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

I remember reading both things---that it's better to let it die out, and that it's better to charge it whenever you're using it. It's been a while since I've read about it, but from what I remember, the latter argument was the stronger, more backed-up argument. I've been charging it whenever I use it with my stereo for the last year and a half and haven't had any battery issues.

Back
Top Bottom