WTF?!?!?! iTunes went blank!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
So, I opened my iTunes about 20 minutes ago----and it was totally blank!! It didn't have ANY of my music, playlists, etc.!! What the %@$!#% happened?? I rebooted, hoping that might solve the problem, but it didn't.

Can I plug my iPod in and put all the music back in iTunes? I don't want to just jump in and try without a bit of support from y'all for fear that it'll blank out my iPod, too.....

yep, try to find out if the files are still on your harddrive. they should be.

Yeah, everything's still there. So I have to drag everything I want back in there again, huh? :sigh: What's going to suck about that is that there's a ton of stuff that I ripped through iTunes and is in my iTunes Music folder, but there's also a ton of stuff from my other music folders.

Oh well, looks like I won't be getting anything done for a while....:(

Whew....I've drag&dropped and repopulated iTunes. pain in the neck, but it's more or less done. now I just need to go through and make sure everything's there and all the tags, etc. are correct. oy

I thought there was a way to sync iTunes with music on an Ipod through one of the menu options.

ntalwar said:
I thought there was a way to sync iTunes with music on an Ipod through one of the menu options.

I couldn't find it. But I also didn't look terribly hard. The drag & drop was actually much faster than I expected.

Zootlesque said:
How the hell did this happen? Did you find out? :ohmy:

I have no idea! I couldn't believe it! I had last used iTunes yesterday morning and did nothing but listen to a few songs before work. I was on call all night & got back home this morning----opened it up, and it was entirely blank. My wife says she didn't touch it at all last night when I was at work, and there's no one else in our apartment but us. The computer is fine otherwise...nothing else was wrong with it.

I have no clue! :huh:

Did you move the folder where your music is being held? That happened to me on my last computer. I put all the music files in one big folder on my desktop and then tried to consolidate it one day and put it elsewhere. It gave me a blank iTunes and I just had to move it all back to it's original place.

Fuck this happened to me once, and recently. iTunes basically 'lost' my iTunes music library file (it's one file) and I had a blank iTunes as if I just installed it.

Really all my Mp3s were fine and all tagged and album-arted correctly. The only thing I lost was my ratings for every song (grr) but I decided not to use ratings anymore so meh.

PlaTheGreat said:
Did you move the folder where your music is being held? That happened to me on my last computer. I put all the music files in one big folder on my desktop and then tried to consolidate it one day and put it elsewhere. It gave me a blank iTunes and I just had to move it all back to it's original place.

No, everything was right where it should be. I guess it might've done what it did to Canadiens---lost the library file. That sounds right, since when I plugged my iPod in while iTunes was still blank (to see if I could add from the iPod), it said something along the lines of "Your iPod is synced with a different library. Do you want to overwrite your iPod with this library?" Made it sound like this library didn't even recognize its own beloved iPod! :wink:

When I drag & dropped, all the tags & art were still there, which is nice. I seem to be missing a gig of music, but I can't think of anything that I didn't re-add. :hmm:

ntalwar said:

yeah, but it won't take music off your ipod and put it on your itunes if thats what you mean?
they're blocked to do that - you can take music from itunes onto your ipod (obviously) but not the other way round

digsy said:

yeah, but it won't take music off your ipod and put it on your itunes if thats what you mean?
they're blocked to do that - you can take music from itunes onto your ipod (obviously) but not the other way round

Yeah that's what I thought. That's why I got iPodRip, to beat the system! :wink:

digsy said:

Now, the newest version of iTunes will take purchased music from your iPod to a computer, but that's it...so it's still more useful to have another program to take the music off your iPod.

ah "purchased" music
that the key word right there
i'm still stuck in the dark ages and buy cd's as opposed to buying music off itunes (which i do do, but very rarely)

redhotswami said:
that bothers me. music burned from CDs is technically purchased. we already bought the CD, why do we not get to use these special features?

:angry: iTunes

i know :madspit: but, that's why other people made programs to bypass iTunes :D

digsy said:

there's a program called iPodFolder that copies everything from your ipod to your computer should something happen to the library on your computer...

ipodFolder: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/35148

an here's a mac program called Senuti:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23390

You shouldn't have had to drag and drop, for future reference, you should have been able to tell iTunes to search for music.

Ironically as I was opening iTunes to find the menu path for that search it told me it couldn't find my library either! Anyway it's different than the old version where you could search, but you can go to File>Add Folder to Library which will let you do a whole directory at once.

Back
Top Bottom