Would a techie offer a bit of New computer help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
Hey people, I just got a new Dell desktop (3.2ghz, 2G ram, Dual 160G HDs, 20" widescreen monitor) :), it is my first machine of my own after years of using university computers that I know nothing about.

I wanted to get off to a good start taking care of it and I wanted to know a couple of things:

1)Is there software (or anything) that comes preloaded on my computer (Windows XP) that would a good idea to uninstall?

2)What is the best (and cost effective) way to protect it online? Such as do I need anti virus and a firewall?

Are the freeware security programs effective or are Norton or McAfee the only ways to go?

Thanks for any help that you can offer. I'm on the long road of relearning all about the current technology.

P.S.

Why did I post this in here? Sorry about that.

Last edited:
:wave:

I uninstall all the lame programs that come with it that I know I will not use.

I use Norton anti-virus and it has never let me down. It's worth the $30 a year or whatever it is.

I uninstall outlook express and MSN Messanger

XP has a build in firewall (with SP2), which works fine.

I use Eset's NOD32 for anti-virus. It is a small application that doesn't tie up the system.

go to update.microsoft.com to check for any updates you might need

microsoft.com also has a free windows defender program you could download

i would also recommend downloading spybot and lavasoft adaware

and finally id download firefox and use that as your default browser

Johnny Swallow said:
Hey people, I just got a new Dell desktop (3.2ghz, 2G ram, Dual 160G HDs, 20" widescreen monitor) :), it is my first machine of my own after years of using university computers that I know nothing about.

I wanted to get off to a good start taking care of it and I wanted to know a couple of things:

1)Is there software (or anything) that comes preloaded on my computer (Windows XP) that would a good idea to uninstall?

2)What is the best (and cost effective) way to protect it online? Such as do I need anti virus and a firewall?

Are the freeware security programs effective or are Norton or McAfee the only ways to go?

Thanks for any help that you can offer. I'm on the long road of relearning all about the current technology.

P.S.

Why did I post this in here? Sorry about that.

Hi there, I'm a computer technician and do this kind of stuff on a daily basis.

1) YES, Dell desktops come loaded with so much shit. I've even had ones come to me that were automatically banned from our network for virus/spyware activity the first time they were turned on! In the Control Panel > Add/Remove programs, remove everything that's a free trial. I know Dell puts on a lot of AOL stuff and image editing things like Paint Shop or something like that. Get it all off. All you need is Microsoft Office, Windows Media Player, Adobe Acrobat Reader, and a few other small things that the OS uses. If you could post or send me a print screen or list of what's installed, I can tell you exactly what to leave and what to remove.

2) First, if you don't have XP Service Pack 2, download SP2 from the Windows Update site. Then, you'll have the Windows Security Center installed (comes free w/ SP2). Turn ON the firewall and turn ON automatic updates. The security patches from SP2 alone will protect you from the majority of shit that's out there, but get that on FAST because ironically new computers are the MOST vulnerable since most have been boxed for months and don't have updates installed.

You need an antivirus program. Buy Norton. You don't need the whole Internet Security package, just the antivirus program if that's available. ONLY INSTALL ONE antivirus program or you will have big problems. So make sure to remove any free trial AV programs before you purchase and install Norton. I prefer Norton over McAfee, but I recommend either of those two and nothing else. They are large, well known companies and it's always best to go with a product like that rather than some cheaper thing that might disappear within a year, or a free thing that actually installs spyware on the machine. You can't get good AV protection for free, you'll have to buy it.

Aside from your questions, we also recommend that personal computer users use Mozilla FireFox rather than Internet Explorer. Get it free from www.getfirefox.com . If you're concerned about spyware, you can get effective versions of Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy for free. On campus we use Webroot Spysweeper, but I'm not sure if they have a free version.

Remember, any computer is only as secure as its latest definition files, so you have to be responsible about running Windows Updates and installing new def files for your antivirus and antispyware programs, if they're not setup to do this automatically.

I'm such a :nerd: I really need a life! Here I am on my break giving more computer advice...

typing.gif

Re: Re: Would a techie offer a bit of New computer help?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Hi there, I'm a computer technician and do this kind of stuff on a daily basis.

1) YES, Dell desktops come loaded with so much shit. I've even had ones come to me that were automatically banned from our network for virus/spyware activity the first time they were turned on! In the Control Panel > Add/Remove programs, remove everything that's a free trial. I know Dell puts on a lot of AOL stuff and image editing things like Paint Shop or something like that. Get it all off. All you need is Microsoft Office, Windows Media Player, Adobe Acrobat Reader, and a few other small things that the OS uses. If you could post or send me a print screen or list of what's installed, I can tell you exactly what to leave and what to remove.

2) First, if you don't have XP Service Pack 2, download SP2 from the Windows Update site. Then, you'll have the Windows Security Center installed (comes free w/ SP2). Turn ON the firewall and turn ON automatic updates. The security patches from SP2 alone will protect you from the majority of shit that's out there, but get that on FAST because ironically new computers are the MOST vulnerable since most have been boxed for months and don't have updates installed.

You need an antivirus program. Buy Norton. You don't need the whole Internet Security package, just the antivirus program if that's available. ONLY INSTALL ONE antivirus program or you will have big problems. So make sure to remove any free trial AV programs before you purchase and install Norton. I prefer Norton over McAfee, but I recommend either of those two and nothing else. They are large, well known companies and it's always best to go with a product like that rather than some cheaper thing that might disappear within a year, or a free thing that actually installs spyware on the machine. You can't get good AV protection for free, you'll have to buy it.

Aside from your questions, we also recommend that personal computer users use Mozilla FireFox rather than Internet Explorer. Get it free from www.getfirefox.com . If you're concerned about spyware, you can get effective versions of Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy for free. On campus we use Webroot Spysweeper, but I'm not sure if they have a free version.

Remember, any computer is only as secure as its latest definition files, so you have to be responsible about running Windows Updates and installing new def files for your antivirus and antispyware programs, if they're not setup to do this automatically.

:drool:

Thanks so much everyone for the guidance. LivLuvAndBootlegMusic I may end up sending you a message next week if you don't mind, I should be getting my home internet hooked up next week and then I'll be able to send you a list or a screenshot. Then maybe I can avoid being one of those Dells that get banned from the get go! :lock:

Johnny Swallow said:
Thanks so much everyone for the guidance. LivLuvAndBootlegMusic I may end up sending you a message next week if you don't mind, I should be getting my home internet hooked up next week and then I'll be able to send you a list or a screenshot. Then maybe I can avoid being one of those Dells that get banned from the get go! :lock:

Sure, you can post here or e-mail me if you want.

AVG Anti-Virus: Free Edition is the only AV program you'll ever need. To compare it to Norton - when I had my most serious virus infection, Norton actually was attacked and failed to open.

Instead of playing a monthly subscription I just run AVG and it scans automatically once every few days while I'm asleep.

Haven't had any virus problems since. And besides the program being free, the updates are as current as any pay AV software and are also free.

:drool:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
scroll down to AVG Free for Windows installation files

Run that with the default Windows Firewall that should be on as a default with Service Pack 2, and you're good to go.

There are a number of good Anti-Spyware programs already noted in this thread.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic, have you heard anything about the AVG antivirus software? It seems to have good reviews online.

I may be getting hooked up online tomorrow actually so as soon as I do I'll send a list of what I have on my machine. I looked and I actually didn't see all that much, I think since I got it through the university and got the optiplex model it didn't come loaded with all the junk as far as I can see.

I have not. I've heard of it before, but never used it because I have the newest/best version of Symantec (same company as Norton) free because of my school/job.

Basically, you need something that offers real-time protection. If AVG has that, no harm giving it a try. A lot of free-trial programs disable the real-time protection, but if AVG is true freeware (you get everything for free), it should be fine.

Well the screen shots I've got are too big to post on here, is it ok if I email them to you LivLuvAndBootlegMusic?

I've used AVG before and many people have used it saying that it works great. It's trustworthy. Some say its better than Norton, though FWIW everytime PC Magazine does a test, Norton wins.

I could see a spinoff thread titled 'Would a tesje offer a bit of New computer help?' coming :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom