World of Warcraft players?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was addicted to World of Warcrack for almost 2 years, but was finally able to let it go last year! That's not to say I regret playing it, it had its benefits.

I did pick up the expansion, but it didn't really hold me interest for too long. Made it to lvl 68 on my tauren druid though.

What is the appeal of mmorpg? I really don't get them, their stories aren't that great, they don't develop much, character actions mean bugger all in them to the greater game world....there is no winning or losing, the graphics are generally sub par compared to stand alone titles....they are collectin fests....

umm I really just don't get them.

LJT said:
What is the appeal of mmorpg? I really don't get them, their stories aren't that great, they don't develop much, character actions mean bugger all in them to the greater game world....there is no winning or losing, the graphics are generally sub par compared to stand alone titles....they are collectin fests....

umm I really just don't get them.

They make the player feel like they are accomplishing something first of all. The characters are hugely customizable, moreso than standalone games. Plus the world is huge, there is a lot to play around with.

Actually, to be honest a lot of people I know who play the game don't even care for the story. There are other things they would rather be paying attention to. But the story in WoW is pretty cool in my opinion. All the quests and dungeons will suck you into the story. The players actually feel like they are a part of it. WoW also has the advantage of having many previous games in the series, so the story is very deep, you would be surprised.

The "no winning and no losing" can actually be a good thing. In regular games, you win and your done. In MMO's, you can go on and on for as long you want. There is always something more you can strive for. If you want a non-MMO example, look at The Sims. The game is insanely popular largely due to the "no winning and no losing" concept. Some of the more hardcore gamers dislike the idea of no losing, but I like it. I'm more of a casual gamer myself, so I play for fun. Losing isn't very fun. It may seem like it takes the competitiveness out of the game, but that's far from the truth with all the goals accomplishable.

As for graphics, WoW graphics aren't as flashy as many other games today, but that's the way it was meant to be. It's more of a light-heared, cartoonish MMO compared to others from what I've seen. To a lot of people, this is pretty attractive. I don't really care for graphics in a game myself.

But the biggest attraction of them all is the social factor. No one would be playing an MMO like WoW if you were all alone. Nothing like playing and competing with everyone else(thousands and thousands) on the same server.

There is no overriding dynamic to the story though is there? Does what you do affect the game world? I'd be much more interested in these sorts of games if for instance there was a fight for territory, that raids were set around claiming new land from another clan for instance, it would allow to me feel a greater sense of achievement and purpose, rather than running around endlessly collecting loot.

In mmorpgs I find it annoying that basically everyone is running around doing their own thing apart from raids....

I'm not a big fan of the Sims, I like building the houses but I find everything else a bit dull and fiddly....I guess these games just don't suit me....that said I loved Morrowind and I plan on having Oblivion soon and they are basically offline MMOs though there is still an end, but that end is adjustable with all the mods for it.

I'm not overly hung up about realistic looking graphics, the actual art of a game appeals to me more ie. Okami, Twilight Princess, ICO....not the greatest graphics in the world but the art direction on offer is amazing....most MMORPGs are too cliched for my liking.

Most everything you do won't directly affect the game world. Blizz has been attempting to add these sorts of things to WoW. They've added in things like capturable territory, but still there's really not too much yet.

Everyone has their own opinions. To be honest I can't play a lot standalone games without an FAQ or walkthrough, and those usually take the fun out of it.

Dear lvl 70 mages ( and u need money ) go Tyr's hand in EPL and AOE elites.

Im loaded.

I just splatered my Druid all over the ground in from of a horde outside of Haala. :(

'O Serpent Sting, I'll just un-birdy and cure that.. *SPLAT*'

Ouch, my pride. I'm not going to res until I'm sure he's gone, /lols make my soul hurt.

Back
Top Bottom