Wit's end

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I've got an annoying issue and I'm at my wit's end. Start from the beginning - I got a new laptop in January. It has a 7-pin S-Video out and a VGA out. I've downloaded some movies and shows and usually watch them with Phil using the VGA-out to his 22 inch wide screen monitor (bigger than our TV).

This past week I was on vacation. My mom had a list of my movies she wanted to watch, so I told her I'd figure out how to hook up the comp to an actual TV. The VCRs only had S-video out, so I went to WalMart and got a box that converts 4 sources into a single source. All 4 ins and the out have RCA and an S-video connection.

The problem is this, when I connect my S-video into the switch box as IN1 and use RCA to the TV as OUT, the computer doesn't recognize it's connected to a display. I know that when connecting via VGA I use my function commands to change displays, but a friend told me using the S-video I have to go into the graphics card properties and change it to the second display. When I'm using the box, it doesn't give me the option of selecting the second display. Now I'm quite sure this works because before I had connected my S-video from the comp to my VCR and the computer beeped (the "new hardware" beep) and I briefly had the option of choosing a second display. It didn't actually work because the S-video port on my VCR is an out, not an in, duh.

I've googled and googled, using general terms or the specific models of my computer, the graphics accelerator, the input box, etc and can't find any info. Is it just that the box makes it so the comp won't detect the display and that's the end of it?

We never did get to watch movies, so now I'm trying to decide whether to sell this dumb thing or keep trying.

Grrrr, why would it not switch when that's what it offers? S-videos in and RCA out. Can I return something that's open? It came in one of those annoying plastic packages that you have to destroy to get open.

For fun, I just tried a DVD from my laptop using the S-video out to S-video in on the TV, and it worked. Not sure why your's doesn't.

I did have to press the presentation button on the laptop to toggle it, and the laptop did recognize the TV. I think the converter maybe prevents it.

Maybe consider a VGA to RCA converter.

Last edited:
Liesje said:
Grrrr, why would it not switch when that's what it offers? S-videos in and RCA out. Can I return something that's open? It came in one of those annoying plastic packages that you have to destroy to get open.

Usually they offer "switching" not converting. I know, I have one with all kinds of SVIDEO equipment, but I just use all the compsites for the switching.

I'm sure you can return it as long as you bought it from a "normal" store. 30 days is the standard return policy for most places.

I'll try to return it, I saved the receipt, except we don't have a WalMart in this city (strangely enough).

A friend told me about these boxes and said it worked great for him. I guess he bought a more expensive one that does it all.

Back
Top Bottom