Wirless wants me to change to Static IP in order to Torrent??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hallo, all!

I just got a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router. Plugged it in this morning & it's great--fast, smooth, etc. However, it has its own security features & it's essentially firewalling my torrents. I did a quick search online and found this site: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WGR614v5/BitTornado.htm , which details how to forward ports for specific routers in order to use specific programs (I use BitTornado & it was listed there).

Anyway, I guess in order to get all this to work for a Netgear router, you have to change your computer's IP address from a dynamic IP to a static IP. Can this potentially mess things up for my computer/network/etc.? When the instructions got to the point of "write down all of the information that's on your computer screen at such-and-such step in case you need it in the future," it got me a little nervous.

Has anyone had to do this/done this before? Anyone know of a way to circumvent all this with a Netgear wireless router and still torrent well?

Thanks!

I don't think a static IP is any less secure, in fact it may be moreso, the only differences I'd assume would be it's more difficult to configure, so you're more likely to experience problems with it. My friend who helps me with all my networking needs always uses and recommends static IPs. He's huge into torrenting as well. I think he loves static IPs b/c it makes it easier for him to acces his mom and sister's computers remotely when they complain that something's not working.

Whenever I want to change some configuration, I take screen shots of all the config pages on my router and modem and save them. Then, if my experiments don't work, I just set it all back.

From what I can see it's only asking for the static IP address within your home network for which computer you want these ports opened not the dynamic ip address assigned to you by your isp.

I had to do the same thing with my dlink. I only wanted 1 of my computers to have these ports opened so I only forwarded the ports using the static IP address that I had assigned to that computer (not all three within my home network).

I don't think it has anything do to with your ISP's dynamic IP address. Are you using dynamic IP address within your home network?

I don't really have anything hooked up to the wireless network other than the laptop. I think I may give it a shot (following the instructions on that link I'd posted) and report back. But not for a week because I'm going to Costa Rica on Monday! :hyper: :wave:

Utoo said:
But not for a week because I'm going to Costa Rica on Monday! :hyper: :wave:

:cool: I'm also going to be in Costa Rica! I'm leaving on Tuesday and will be there until the 19th. I'm so excited! :hyper: Where are you going?

onebloodonelife said:

:cool: I'm also going to be in Costa Rica! I'm leaving on Tuesday and will be there until the 19th. I'm so excited! :hyper: Where are you going?

No way! We're going to be in San Jose Monday & Friday nights, and we'll be in Manuel Antonio (the rainforest/park/beach) for the time in between.

Starting to pack in a few minutes! :hyper:

Have a GREAT time!!

Back
Top Bottom