wireless router questions - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 03:23 PM
wireless router questions

My parents have a NETGEAR WGT624 router and have 2 laptop's that have wireless. I am usually good with setting up wireless stuff but i'm having some issues here.

One laptop is plugged into the modem directly. Other uses the wireless without any problems.

One problem: only one laptop can use the wireless at a time. My sister comes home once in awhile and brings her macbook and we both cannot use the internet at the same time because one or both our connections times out and have to restart the router for 15 min or so of usage before it times out AGAIN!

Another problem: I have tried for hours to set up the printer so that we can print wirelessly. I see the printer but CAN'T print to it. Could it be that the printer is hooked up to a Windows ME machine?

We are moving the router and printer upstairs tomorrow because we aren't using DSL after this week, switching over to cable. There is a XP computer upstairs that we will be connecting the router/printer to.

This router is 6 years old an i think its a piece of crap.

Should I just get a linksys (i like linksys brand better than netgear) or does anyone know how to fix these problems?

2 laptops have VISTA
1 macbook laptop

I will be getting a Windows 7 laptop in the next couple of months also.

Can anyone help me please?

thanks!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Is the router setup for DHCP?

I have an older, cheap router and it has been used for Macs, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and now Windows 7. Doesn't have the greatest range but we have a tiny place.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 08:23 PM
That printer problem can be the cause of windows ME. I've had that shit for years and it wasn't compatible with ANYTHING.
Try connecting the printer to one of the other pcs and then try to print via the network and see if that works?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Gah! I didn't even see the Windows ME part. My mind must have repressed it already!
Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Is the router setup for DHCP?
Yes it is. It took me awhile to figure out the password, thought my sister changed it when she didn't.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
That printer problem can be the cause of windows ME. I've had that shit for years and it wasn't compatible with ANYTHING.
Try connecting the printer to one of the other pcs and then try to print via the network and see if that works?
Okay, will try that. Thanks.

Am going to be moving router and printer upstairs soon and will let you know if that fixes it..
Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Refugee

It is actually a WGT624v3
Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:23 AM
I am beyond freaking irritated with my router or connection. Not sure where the problem is.

I successfully hooked up my Linksys WRT160N right away when I got my computer. It wasn't working at first, then accidentally did something that made it work fine. For about two days. Then I started having connectivity issues, but was usually able to fix it one way or the other.

Now I can't connect to the internet without being directly connected between my laptop and the router via ethernet cable. If I unplug the cable, I'll have a signal for about a minute, and then the connection disappears.

The laptop is right next to the router at the moment. I uninstalled it, reset the modem to factory settings, and reinstalled. I got a message that I had succesfully installed it.

Why can I not wirelessly connect? I tried going online for troubleshooting, but the information I find is either completely unhelpful or completely over my head. When I had the cable modem hooked up to my desktop, I would occasionally need to power down the modem and let it reset, but never had issues about connecting unless Comcast was having issues, so I'm pretty sure it's not the modem, even though it's about 5 years old.

This is really pissing me off.

Help?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Has the router been configured for the WAN? If it was reset, it probably needs to be configured for the Comcast connection to the Internet.

If it was the modem, you'd probably notice with the lights. My Comcast modem went bad, the data light stopped flashing. A tech had to come out and give me a new one (after several phone calls of me convincing them it was their damn hardware that was the problem...sure enough it took the tech about 30 seconds to agree).
Old 11-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm assuming it's configured for the WAN? It went through all the setup stuff after I reset the modem, and told me "congratuations, etc etc."

Even just now, I was able to connect wirelessly ... for a minute or two, and then it dropped again.

I'm on hold with the fine folks at Dell - I didn't pay for the "on call" service for nothing, so maybe they can help see if I'm set up correctly.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Guess who just spent FOUR HOURS on the phone with Dell support in India, and still can't connect wirelessly?

I am so freaking frustrated right now. Most of this stuff is completely over my head so I can't even begin to speculate as to what the problem is. My new best friend Leonard is going to call me tomorrow morning to pick up where we left off, as I have to go meet a friend for dinner.

I don't think I'd be so frustrated if it hadn't been working perfectly fine when I first set it up (I mean obviously, I didn't set it up right, but it just makes it more frustrating).

Next person who tells me wireless is easy to connect gets kicked in the shin.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I would help but I don't think I've had to reset mine in 3 years! I'd have to dig up my Comcast account info/password before I dare reset it... I do remember when I initially set it up, first I connected my laptop directly to the modem and made sure that was up to snuff, then In connected the router to the modem and connected my laptop directly to the router to set it up for DCHP and whatever type of connection it uses with Comcast (PPPoE? Or was that my SBC DSL...?). I'm pretty sure I cloned a MAC address somewhere in the process.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

If you connect your laptop directly to the modem, can you use Internet without it cutting out?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Cori, once it disconnects, does it ever reconnect on its own without you having to do anything?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #15
Refugee

Lies and GG, any tips on my first problem i mentioned above about having more than one lappy on the wireless at same time? Any settings i should change?

Tags
technical support, wireless routers