wireless router questions - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
If you connect your laptop directly to the modem, can you use Internet without it cutting out?
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Cori, once it disconnects, does it ever reconnect on its own without you having to do anything?
Nope!

My connection with the laptop plugged directly into the modem works fine, as does the connection if I plug the laptop into the router. It's only when I try to go wireless that I lose the love of my life the internet.

I had dinner with a friend, and she wondered if my previous wireless connectivity was actually me connected to someone else's wireless network. It probably would explain all of this.

I have a hot date with my new bestest friend Leonard tomorrow morning at 9. Here's hoping we're able to consummate our technological relationship, or I will cry. And probably throw something. Possibly the router.

Thanks for the tips you've offered. Based on the setup involved with the router software, it sure looks like it should have been easy.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:19 AM
If it's anything like mine, it wasn't easy or intuitive. It did not take long, but I do remember there being several steps involved (connecting directly to the modem and configuring that, cloning a MAC address, connecting directly to the router and configuring that, then connecting each computer and configuring them).

Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Another hour and a half on the phone with India, but I now am connected wirelessly. I have a new bestest friend, his name is Kingsly! He finally told me I could hang up the phone, so I puttered around my apartment while he drove my computer.

I guess it had something to do with the drivers for the router.

I'd love to know if the set up for this Linksys router was as easy as it led you to believe from the installation - there was very little I had to do, other than plugging cables, as it automatically configured everything else. so it's surprising to hear there was all this other configuration stuff (like you mention above).

But whatever, it's done. I knew this would be my biggest headache with setting things up. So now I can move forward and roam around my apartment with my laptop! Yay!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #19
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseu2 View Post
Lies and GG, any tips on my first problem i mentioned above about having more than one lappy on the wireless at same time? Any settings i should change?
Do you have only one port for wireless open? Check the settings of the router for wireless, you should be able to add more connections.

If that doesn't work, get both your laptop's MAC adresses and manually add them to the router's wireless settings so that both are 'allowed' to connect.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Do you have only one port for wireless open? Check the settings of the router for wireless, you should be able to add more connections.

If that doesn't work, get both your laptop's MAC adresses and manually add them to the router's wireless settings so that both are 'allowed' to connect.
I do not know how to check how many ports are in there.

ok, sis is coming home tonight, i'll add her MAC address in there..

Under Wireless Settings, Should I change the mode from 'g and b' to 'Auto 108 Mbps' ?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

This has been the most aggravating computer issue I've ever had. Still having wireless issues - I can only connect wirelessly intermittently. It'll be fine for days, and then one day I just can't connect.

I'll be connected to my network with the ethernet cable plugged in, I'll unplug it and it will be fine for a minute or two ... and then it's gone and won't let me reconnect.

Is that just the way of wireless connections? Do I live in a Twilight Zone of an apartment where it's just the luck of the signal draw? I would suspect that signal shouldn't be an issue when I'm sitting right next to the damned router and modem.

God, this is irritating.

Edit: And of course 10 minutes later, it seems to be working fine again. See? Do you see this sort of bullshittery I am having to put up with?

(Oh, woe to the first world problems of me.)
Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Last week, I put the MAC Addresses of 2 laptops and a itouch into the wireless router and everything works together beautifully!!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

I had a few friends suggest my wireless issues meant I needed to do something specific within the router configurations (like changing the channel or something?).

A few days later I asked someone at work who suggested I just plug my ethernet cable into another port on the back of the router. Which I did, and lo and behold, a few days later, my wireless has only crapped out on me once in the past 48 hours or so.

Not sure if it's something else, or if it's because I tried the cable in another port (not sure why that would work, since it's only an issue when that cable isn't plugged into my laptop), but I am a happy wireless user once again.

Would sure be nice to understand all this junk so I know where to even start when it doesn't work again, though.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #24
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:19 AM
i don't have any suggestions for you, but just wanted to say what they meant by changing the channel. it's just a setting to literally change the channel. the only reason you'd need to do this is if there were problems with interference of the wifi signal. i've personally never had to change this setting.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, that sounds like what they were talking about. It seemed like I was having problems because of a lot of other interfering wifi signals.

Tags
technical support, wireless routers