Wireless Network

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynetravis

Blue Crack Supplier
how can i link my laptop to my desktop pc through wireless?

i've got a router that is connected to the internet and to my pc with network cable.
it has a wireless ariel and i can get my laptop to connect to the internet via that.

but i can't the laptop to communicate with my desktop pc.

:help:

Thanks in advance! :)

I think in Windows (if you use that), there's a thing where you can set up your own "network"

Start>Settings>Network Connections
On the left it should be "setup a home or small office network". That might help.

Don't forget, I think you have to keep the workgroups both with the same name, or else they can't communicate.

I've got it set up with my laptop and desktop too, so I can share files b/t the two, but sometimes it doesn't work... and sometimes it does.

Hope that helps somewhat. :)

1: Is your laptop wireless ready or do you have a wireless network card.
2: If wireless ready, make sure it is enabled in the BIOS
3: Some wireless ready laptops have a seperate button to turn it on and off......make sure it is on

I used to do this w/ my laptop, my dad's laptop, and my parent's desktop. I enable file and printer sharing on each computer, went to the Computer Name under System in the Control Panel and put them all in the same workgroup, and then links the folders/printers I wanted to share into the Shared Files folder in the user profiles. This way, we shared music and files, and any computer could print to my dad's printer.

i can't get it to connect.

on my pc in the network group it sees this computer and the latop.
but when i check on the laptop theres nothing.

also when i connected my 2 pc together on the network, the setup made a setup disc on to a floppy. and i got it setup that way.
but my laptop doesn't have a floppy.

Did you enable file and print sharing on the laptop? Did you share any folders / files on the laptop?

Don't worry about the setup disk. Just run the same process on both machines.

Once you've done this, so that they're both in the same workgroup, if you open My Computer you should have a Shared Documents folder. You have to put shared things in there, or link to things you want to share (like I share a printer and my external hard drive). Or, you can go to any of your folders, right click on it, and select "Share this folder".

waynetravis said:
i can't get it to connect.

on my pc in the network group it sees this computer and the latop.
but when i check on the laptop theres nothing.

Are you using a software firewall? If so, you will need to set it up to allow the IP address of the other PC/laptop through. See if you can ping the other machine, and also try to map a drive using the IP address and folder name. Try to share a folder first.

Back
Top Bottom