windows xp installation code! help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prideofzootv

War Child
ok guys, iv got a cd that lets me install windows xp, but iv lost the code for it, can someone give me one i can use? i want to install it on my laptop, thanks guys

Install it and then call Microsoft. You're going to want/need a valid license. If you absolutely cannot get one, PM me and I can help you out, but don't used a cracked one b/c it won't validate and you won't receive any security updates or be able to install certain programs.

i cant pm you since im not a premium member grr,

i only need it for a laptop which aint gonna ever connect to the net or anything, its for work, cos at the mo its got shitty windows 2000! got everything else a need but windows 2000 sucks big time

IMO, Windows 2000 is a lot better than XP in more ways than one. If it's an older laptop, XP may just slow it down.

You may as well call Microsoft, b/c even if you had a valid license, you'd still have to call to activate it if you can't connect online.

I ran 2000 on my home PC for 4 years without a re-build and it ran flawlessly, other than taking a long time to boot up. XP on the other hand looks pretty, boots up fast, but I need to do a re-build about once a year.

What version of XP are you installing? Is it a clean install (from Microsoft) or bundled discs (comes w/ comp. and has all the other junk on it)?

Oh, then you'll have to call Microsoft. I have codes for Windows XP Pro SP1, SP2, and 64-bit ed, but they're all for "clean" OS installs, so they wouldn't work with the bundled ones that come with computers. Isn't there a product key on the Microsoft sticker on the bottom of the computer?

So, wait, you have a Windows XP disc that was bundled with a computer and want to install it on a different computer? It ma not even work. Typically, when you buy a computer and it comes with an install disc it also has the drivers for that specific computer. If you install it on a different computer, it will install the wrong drivers. You can always get the right drivers by downloading them, but it's a big pain. You have to figure out exactly what devices the computer has and then find a website that offers the right driver. With older computers, I've noticed sometimes the manufacturer's site doesn't offer drivers anymore (or never does in the first place) so you have to search the web or go to driverguide.com.

If you can't get the right code, you're going to have to call Microsoft no matter what. The codes I could give you would not match, so you'd have to call.

Speaking of this...I've been wanting to do a clean install of my XP Pro OS, I've got all the driver cds and everything but I can't find my OS CD. I downloaded a version of xp pro student lisence that auto-inserts a validation code, but before I go as far as to use that, is there a way to get my validation code from Dell or Microsoft and install another XP cd using my code? Will calling them get me my code?

Varitek, I'm not sure if they're all this way, but my laptop has a Windows sticker on the bottom that gives it's product key. Maybe there's a Windows sticker somewhere on your computer?

Ooooooh yes there is. Thanks! So I can install someone else's Windows XP Pro and then enter my ID instead of counting ona bootleg download?

Depends. If it's the exact same version, probably. For example, if my friend downloads a Win XP Pro SP2 iso from MSDN, I'd assume that my serial code for the same product would work. But I don't think it will work to use someone else's disc and use a code that came with the computer, not a clean copy of Windows. But, I guess you could try, that's just my guess.

If my computer came with only SP1, shoudl I get a copy of Pro with SP1 or should it work with SP2?

And if I have a copy that auto-installs a working code, does it really matter if I use my own code?

Varitek said:
If my computer came with only SP1, shoudl I get a copy of Pro with SP1 or should it work with SP2?

And if I have a copy that auto-installs a working code, does it really matter if I use my own code?

I have no clue. Honestly, I've never installed an OS with a product key different than the one it came with.

If the comp came w/ SP1, get Pro SP2 as long as you can get the drivers you need. My old laptop came with XP Home SP1 and I installed XP Pro SP2 (with a valid product key for that installation) and it worked fine b/c the OS had all the drivers I needed. You may end up having to download a few drivers if you find things like your soundcard or NIC don't work. SP2 won't do anything to the comp. b/c even if you have SP1 you can (and definitely should) download SP2. The service pack is not going to make a difference and you should always be running the latest.

Back
Top Bottom