Windows XP Folder Access Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobert16

The Fly
Hi,

I kept a large music folder on my family computer. I didn't want anyone accessing it because I had past problems with my family accidentally deleting or moving files. So, while logged on to my account (which was one of the Administrator accounts), I selected a security option under the folder's Properties menu that denied access to everyone. However, I was always able to re-access that security tab so that I could change this selection.

Last week our computer had a major software problem (it wouldn't boot up), so I reinstalled Windows XP. I re-created my user account (using the same username), and tried to re-access the file. However, an error message appears telling me that 'Access is Denied.' That security option checklist is no longer present, and the folder is marked as "Read-Only" (it can not be changed from that setting). There is no way to open it, copy it, or move it.

I don't know if this will help, but it's impossible to access the file through My Computer. However, I tried sending one of the files within the folder to a friend through Windows Live Messenger, and I was able to look through the folder and see all the sub-folders and files. I wasn't able to send or copy any of the files, but I was able to see them all.

I guess I am just looking for a way to override the forbidden-access selection. I would really really appreciate the help! Thank you!

I would try booting into Safe Mode and using THE "Administrator" account. There can be several accounts on the computer with administrative privileges, but typically there is one Administrator account, and it will show up as an option when booting into Safe Mode.

Back
Top Bottom