windows vista sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
srsly. about a month of use now. and it blows. the annoyance factor is incredibly huge. you're the administrator, but are told that you need to be one when you try to access folders etc. you want to set up a home network with your windows xp and 2k pcs; vista cannot find the other computers on the network and doesn't contain the ipx protocol like all previous versions of windows did.

what a load of crap.

I don't know how people haven't learned yet that anytime Microsoft issues out a new product (especially a new version of Windows), you have to give the bastards a good 2 years before even considering installing it.

I refuse to put Vista on. Nothing fundamentally wrong with my XP Pro, and when I get a new laptop in 2 years I'm hoping they'll have fixed most of the glitches. And if not, there's always Mac!

you'd think that after 2+ years of beta-testing, the basic stuff such as access rules and simple networking should be working properly now, eh?

this feels like an early beta version.

Dell has gone back from offering Vista exclusively on new PCs, to offering a choice of Vista, or good ol' XP.

That's very telling.

U2Man said:
you'd think that after 2+ years of beta-testing, the basic stuff such as access rules and simple networking should be working properly now, eh?

q: How does Microsoft test its software?
a: They release it.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 should be coming out later this year so that should fix a lot of bugs and stuff. To be honest the Media Centre component kinda sucks compared to 2005/2004 which I still run, and some drivers are still beta.

Even when I ran the RC1 edition it wasn't too bad.

I tried a Mac the other day to get internet working and I pressed a button - it wasn't even connected - and it connected to Yahoo7! Amazing.

that service pack is gonna have to be huge.

here's another annoying feature:

vista has a search index feature that runs in the background and constantly builds an index on your files, for instance your itunes library xml file. now, if you have a fairly large collection of music, you can forget about using itunes. as soon as you open it, the cpu usage will go to 80-100% and stay there constantly. your computer becomes totally unusable.

luckily i found a way to turn that marvelous feature off.

piece of shit.

Interesting...Macs also have that index feature, but it doesn't run constantly. It only runs once when the computer is first set up, then continues to periodically index when new files are added, but I've never noticed a performance issue.

Sooooo, you're saying I shouldn't install Vista on my Mac? Stick with XP if I need to go Windows?

U2Man said:
that service pack is gonna have to be huge.

here's another annoying feature:

vista has a search index feature that runs in the background and constantly builds an index on your files, for instance your itunes library xml file. now, if you have a fairly large collection of music, you can forget about using itunes. as soon as you open it, the cpu usage will go to 80-100% and stay there constantly. your computer becomes totally unusable.

luckily i found a way to turn that marvelous feature off.

piece of shit.

There's an easy way to stop iTunes having issues in Vista...don't use it. The only way to test software rather than in a beta phase is to release it.

If you want to run it use Boot Camp, an 80+MB download from www.apple.com and from what I have tried of it it is not too bad but can improve and will improve because it's a beta.

But $781 for an OS with advanced networking (Ultimate Clean Install) that people will never use is a joke - the bit I don't like, and releasing an OS for $169 (upgrade) with hardly anything in it (Basic Edition) is a joke.

Most likely some computer shops will hand out a Service Pack CD for you for free, as that's how I got mine. Just go down and ask if they have the CDs for it.

Yep, Vista will continue to suck but it is not the fault of Microsoft...rather the manufacturers like Dell, HP (don't get me started on them), Creative, NVidia, ATI - you name it - are not producing final-release quality drivers only beta and beta is no good for an RTM (release to manufacturer) product at all. XP had the same issue in 2001.

Until SP1 is released I definitely won't be upgrading. I was in the beta program...it's good but not good enough yet with drivers.

I too have to agree bout pishy Vista. Biggest mistake of my computing life. How they get away with it is beyond me. Lets thank god for the small merciy that is, as yet, Microsoft havent taken up manufacturing Cars and Aircraft!!
Anyone know how to get the shit off my laptop having no hard copy of XP and where the DVDs i made backing up factory settings dont seem to work?

Macs are quite good, reliable and fast - and you can even run Vista with the assistance of BootCamp as I wrote above if you want to.

www.apple.com/bootcamp

I bought my computer mainly for multimedia - $AU499 with Windows Media Centre and I love it. Even handles HDTV. But - if the situation of iPods continues to Macs (hardware failure) then I won't come to the light for some time yet. Apple has to bundle in something amazing like Media Centre (and no, iTunes or FrontRow or AppleTV) aren't the idea yet.

I'd switch the Account Control and index feature and not use iTunes on Vista at all - not yet anyway. Plus MS should not be the blame, no matter how much Mac fans believe so. Apple had access to Vista code since 2004 - 3 years - and couldn't get iTunes working properly. Yes you need a faster computer but then you don't need $3000 to get a decent 2GHz Mac.

Vista is like XP, whereas at first everyone said 'Oh XP sucks balls', now most people consider it and use it. It'll be the same with Vista, bet ya...

Macs are over-expensive compared to PCs. Can you build your own Mac? Are Macs easy to fix? No.

onebloodonelife, you should try running Vista on your Mac, if you don't like it it's easy to remove.

You do if the keyboard breaks on a brand-new Mac laptop - which you can do in 15mins on an x86 Win/Linux laptop.

RAM also goes faulty very often. Costs a bomb for a Mac. Cheap for a PC. The Mac OS operating system has cost up to $550 over five years. MS have released a new OS - Vista - and costs $499 for a new version - even cheaper if you look around. So the cost of MacOSX is not justified. Vista will become the standard in a few years.

Like XP 'everyone said oh it's a load of shit' but everyone uses it now. Vista is 'oh Vista is a piece of expensive crap' but it will become the standard.

Macs are ripoffs. Who in their right mind pays $1700-$3500 for a PC which has copy-bloody-protection over the whole bloody thing? At least Vista lets you delete files and folders and reg settings that control DRM. Mac doesn't.

Who says Macs aren't easy to fix? Besides people who work on computers and do their own thing. Personally, I do not tear apart computers or mess with anything internally. I just use them, and so far, my Mac has not done anything like crash or give me a hard time, when my PC did that within MONTHS. I have been able to call Apple whenever I had the slightest problem and they solved it, in 5 minutes, over the phone, with a real human being. My friend had the warranty and he had dropped his computer so it was on the fritz, but Apple paid for the complete restoration of it, which would have been in the hundreds of dollars.

Also, his keyboard "7" key fell off one day ,so he contacted apple, got a keyboard in the mail within a week....found out he could just pop the key back in, and ended up with a new keyboard anyway.

I guess just because Macs haven't become as widely used as PCs allows them to be criticized a whole lot more, but I guess if you believe majority rules, there's your answer. Personally, I have no idea about all those technical things. And I don't care. When it comes to using my computer, I want to know if I can use it without waiting 20 minutes to start up, or freezing in the middle of an application. My friend's Mac was 5 years old and fast as lightning, compared to our 2 year old Dell, and he had WAY more pictures and files on it than we could ever dream of.

And honestly, who wants to build their own Mac? they are designed right in the first place so you don't have to. They are for people who just want to use the computer and not worry about it so much.

drewhiggins said:

onebloodonelife, you should try running Vista on your Mac, if you don't like it it's easy to remove.

:shrug: I already put XP on it. A small partition, 12GB, mainly for playing the occasional game. Right now, it's GTA: San Andreas, but I honestly haven't even booted into XP for weeks.

RAM also goes faulty very often. Costs a bomb for a Mac. Cheap for a PC. The Mac OS operating system has cost up to $550 over five years. MS have released a new OS - Vista - and costs $499 for a new version - even cheaper if you look around. So the cost of MacOSX is not justified. Vista will become the standard in a few years.

RAM is not that expensive for Macs. Check out OWC, a Mac specific dealer. I can upgrade my Macbook to 2GB of RAM for around $120.

As for the OSX comparisons...Mac users get the full version right away when the computer is bought. PCs? No, Vista Home blah blah comes with it. No one said that Mac users must upgrade every single time a new OS comes around. There are plenty of people sticking with Panther until Leopard comes out. They just saved $120. Either way, it doesn't matter much to me, I get the Mac OSXs for educational prices, so $70 instead.

martha said:

People who only want to have their computer working for years and years. :up:

:giggle:

And, for the record, the only Macs that cost that much are the Pro computers. Or, the high end iMac...possibly, I don't really know for sure. My Macbook=$1100.

drewhiggins said:
Well RAM is coming down in price. 2GB for $120 sounds good to me.

Yeah, it has come down a lot in price...but Apple still charges an arm and a leg to buy from them.

Back
Top Bottom