windows vista sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little high for me. I'm still stuck on DDR400. But that definitely will work in the new Core Duo Intel anyway as far as I know.

Think my next PC might be a bit better.

Ah, yeah, the Macbook I have is the Core2Duo. I didn't realize that made a difference in the RAM that can be used.

Yep it does - the CPU (Core 2 Duo) won't recognise it.

The funny thing not related to this topic were that I was listening to One/Unchained Melody - and it reminded me of your nickname ;)

Doing a quick search of Ebay RAM will cost me $AUD40 for a 512MB stick. Bloody hell.

I've gone over to the dark side and installed Vista Business. So far, all of my apps and freeware work, so no big deal. My desktop doesn't even look different, as I use the same widgets, object dock, and task bar setup as I had with XP. I like the theme a lot better than XP though.

I just got a new laptop with Vista - I requested XP from Dell but got Vista and don't know if I should bother following up on it.

Advice anyone?

also - if I keep the Vista are there any setting changes I should be making - like the one puppyman suggested (bless his little canine self, wherever he is)? and for that one - how do I do it? As you can tell I'm completely clueless with this stuff so any help is appreciated :)

Advice? Consumer rights. You ask, you recieve. Unless- the laptop is built specifically for Vista and wasn't designed for XP.

What was the change he suggested? I'm still with XP MCE2005 but I can help you through from my time with the beta version. That worked alright but the one thing I do use - Media Centre - was slow so I didn't like it a lot.

About the search index and the CPU usage - needing to turn that off so it wasn't running in the background.

There was an option to have the laptop with XP so I assume it should have been capable of using it - there was no explanation sent of why it came with Vista, and I was going out of town and need to use it when I got it so I could still work.

Are there any things you suggest I change on the settings - I just use it for work and the internet really- haven't got Itunes on it yet.

BTW - if I already have Itunes on my desktop - can I have a duplicate with the same songs on the laptop or I have to choose where to have everything?

Turn the indexing feature off or turn it on only when you're not using the computer.

I think you can have a duplicate in iTunes. Just grab YamiPod - should work with Vista, 14MB download - and drag and drop the songs into the iTunes/Music folder. Then set iTunes to go from that directory.

If it seems to run slow turn Aero off - go right-click Desktop > Personalise and turn transperancy off.

The official on how to disable Indexing.

=========================================

1. Navigate to Control Panel, Indexing Options. There you can remove all locations or only those you use rarely.

2. It is also possible to disable indexing for a certain drive or enable it only for selected folders. You can do this by changing the Properties of a drive or folder (right click on drive letter in Windows Explorer).

3. The fastest way is to simply disable the Windows Search service. Run Services (just type “Services” at the Start Search bar), right click on the Windows Search service and select “Properties”. Then choose “Disabled” for the start type. Afterwards, you have to stop this service by right clicking on it and selecting “Stop”.

drewhiggins said:
Turn the indexing feature off or turn it on only when you're not using the computer.

Is there a better way to phrase this or am I just a total moron :scratch:

and thanks for your help here - I appreciate you taking the time :)

Go to the Control Panel on the Start Menu (click the Orb and then click Control Panel) and click Indexing Options. Remove all locations or only those you use rarely.

That's about the easiest to put it. You're welcome for the help. Just keep using it, you will get used to it. I felt the same way about XP about four-five years ago and I love it.

So far the only difference I've noticed is that my music sounds like shite. I've got some nice Sennheiser phones and now it buzzes, even if I don't even have it on that loud. Maybe I busted my phones and it's just a coincidence, but I definitely would have noticed this before. Maybe I can't totally blame Vista - my one con about my laptop has been the crappier onboard sound.

I have onboard sound. Get the latest drivers for your sound and the latest iTunes. Version 7.1.2 I think it is or something like that. The earlier iTunes have sound issues. Or try playing the songs in Media Centre or Windows Media Player. Does the same thing happen?

Try the phones elsewhere - like on another computer or a radio and see what happens. It's because MS have changed the architecture so heavily and everyone complains that not a lot works. It was to increase security but so far seems to have backfired badly. Hopefully Service Pack 1 in November (confirmed) will fix some issues like this.

You can't totally blame Vista. Sure, some things aren't awesome (the Movie Maker programme in question on how long it takes, Media Centre is slower than MCE2005 etc etc) but the manufacturers are at fault. Like Apple, Nvidia, ATI, Creative. They had two years plus access to beta code and never tested it.

I noticed my music heavily buzzes in iTunes 7 under XP too, so maybe an iTunes issue. Weird.

Big mistake.

I have the latest driver for Vista and I've never used iTunes. My files were playing in VLC, which I don't use for audio so I finished configuring the media player and got the same result. There are other issues with how the driver works with the volume slider and other audio controls on the laptop, so I'm not completely ruling out the Vista drivers, but overall it's not a big enough deal for me to care all that much, certainly not enough to roll back. I also knew when I bought these earphones that they exceed the capabilities of devices with crappy audio output (laptops, iPods, discman, etc). I'm sure I'll adjust and not notice it after a while.

It also takes my computer much longer to startup, but after about 15 minutes it quiets down and runs perfectly quiet like it did with XP. I don't restart often (just sleep) so again, not a big deal.

It does take a little longer to start up because it is a larger OS. 7-10GB compared to 2-3GB for XP is a bit of a difference, it loads in registry values, startup items, extra stuff, more services etc. My XPMCE takes around 10-12 second for startup. On a clean Vista install (nothing installed at all or files on the hard drive) takes around 30-45 seconds. No major worry, just go make a cuppa in the meantime.

When you send it to sleep it has no issues waking up again? Most people I know with it have to restart the PC in order to fix it.

anitram said:
I don't know how people haven't learned yet that anytime Microsoft issues out a new product (especially a new version of Windows), you have to give the bastards a good 2 years before even considering installing it.

I refuse to put Vista on. Nothing fundamentally wrong with my XP Pro, and when I get a new laptop in 2 years I'm hoping they'll have fixed most of the glitches. And if not, there's always Mac!

I know....but hubby still put it on and it is an absolutely pig of a OS...he even admitted it....i want XP back.

drewhiggins said:

When you send it to sleep it has no issues waking up again? Most people I know with it have to restart the PC in order to fix it.

Hmmm, nope. I open the lid, click my touchpad and it comes on. Really the only time I restart my computer is after I've installed something. I think it's taking 15 minutes to boot b/c that dumb thing is blocking or deciding whether or not to block some of the stuff I run on startup. As soon as I get my antivirus' release for Vista, I'm turning off that Defender junk.

I just got it installed on my new comp, hardware issues arising from my old hub and getting the onboard High Definition Audio to work are fun.

Im sure that it will improve in time, and it does everything that I need it too.

Fixed sound and network, biggest issue so far has been that my PCI network card I put in my old computer back in 1999 has finally ceased to be supported.

The sound issue was a faint hiss or buzz when I scrolled or moved the cursor over an image as well as some video formats, I was afraid it was a shielding issue or the motherboard but new drivers have fixed it right up.

drewhiggins said:
I'd get rid of Defender ASAP.

How do I do this?

I am getting annoyed by all these security measures, constant messages, blocking sites, up- and downloads, slowing down the system ...

Vista is perfectly fine for me doing my work, I also like the multimedia stuff, visuals and all, but I have had problems installing the software for my mp3 player and my network card doesn't seem to be working properly, it still works fine with my old computer, that I am still using for internet stuff like downloads etc.

Much of the old software will still have issues. I know some of my old MCE software would not work properly. Your network card could also not work due to the network stack (programming) being re-written.

The security measures are there to increase the goal of better security but to turn Defender off...

========================================================

From WindowsHelp.microsoft.com

When Windows Defender is on, you will be alerted when spyware and other potentially unwanted software tries to install itself, run on your computer, or change important Windows settings. If you use the default settings, Windows Defender will also check for new definitions, regularly scan for spyware and other potentially unwanted software, and automatically remove any malicious software that it finds.

Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Defender.

Click Tools, and then click Options.

Under Administrator options, select or clear the Use Windows Defender check box, and then click Save. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/31d797aa-091d-4d67-a556-dbfaf21bf0dc1033.mspx

==================================================================================

And in case you hated Vista, Windows '7' is currently being worked on for a 2009/2010 release.

Im getting a new laptop..and it only comes with vista..so dell has completely changed to vista i guess..when we got the new dell desktops in like december you were supposed to get a free upgrade to vista..but its only downloaded..and our network wouldnt support the download at that time.. so the desktops are still xp..im one for change so i'll be happy to try the new vista on dell..they say its great on a new system but there are main problems upgrading from xp..hell our one laptop still runs ME for business purposes! :huh:

Works shithouse on an old system, great on a new system. Anyone know how the hell I can use DVD Shrink with Nero or something similar because it's quick and easy to use.

yeah.. when i copy dvds i only use dvd decoder and shrink..cause it burns the dvd within the program..nero annoys me so i dont use it unless its essential for something

Back
Top Bottom