Windows Vista Release Date?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless you're a business customer, not this year. If you're a business customer, maybe this year.

Anyhow I installed and dicked around with Beta 2 and it's still a piece of shit. Will only use it when it comes pre-installed on a new PC.

Wont be this year at all. Latest I have heard is April but it might not even be out by then. I am beta testing it right now...its got a lot of work to be done on it yet.

Regardless I find it bloated and shiny and crappy right now.
I now understand and feel sympathy for those who kept the default gray Windoze desktop when Fisher Price XP came out 5 yrs ago. :|

Canadiens1160 said:
Regardless I find it bloated and shiny and crappy right now.
I now understand and feel sympathy for those who kept the default gray Windoze desktop when Fisher Price XP came out 5 yrs ago. :|

:lol: I totally agree, that's me w/ the Windows Classic.

What is it, Jan or early Feb 07? It's already being manufactured. If you buy a new PC from a major PC maker up until Vista is out, you get a coupon redeemable for Vista when it is released.

If you're planning on upgrading to the new OS eventually, you might want to start backing up your data n' shit. It's very advisable to just reformat the windows hard drive and start from scratch for a new OS, rather than patching Vista over XP. Also might want to considering upgrading to 1 gig of ram if you've got 512 as Vista looks to be a RAM hog.

is vista really an os x copycat? i'm not trying to start any mac vs. windows wars here, i'm just curious as i've heard things about it in write-ups and seen screenshots, but was wanting to get opnions from people who were beta testing it.

(although i will say it's just my opinion that microsoft is way too smart, imo, to blantantly rip off another os like that.)

A belated answer to the original question, but the official release date is January 30th, 2007. Business customers and MSDN subscribers have had it since November 30th.

So, did anyone get it yet or is getting it soon? I can get two copies for free (MSDN and I just bought a "premium ready" PC), but is there really any compelling reason to get it right away, besides "it looks cool"? I'm more excited about Office 2007 (omg, live preview is the best thing ever!).

When you get it, please share....

Liesje said:
So, did anyone get it yet or is getting it soon? I can get two copies for free (MSDN and I just bought a "premium ready" PC), but is there really any compelling reason to get it right away, besides "it looks cool"? I'm more excited about Office 2007 (omg, live preview is the best thing ever!).

I'll probably be able to get a free MSDN copy as well. I might evaluate it eventually, and check out in advance some of the new features available to developers when Visual Studio 2007(currently in beta) is released later this year. I need to research the enterprise features more.

We've been beta testing it at work for several months now, along with office 2007. It is definatley a resource hog if you use any of the cool features like AERO. Also has a built in re-partitioning tool which is nice. I haven't spent a lot of time with it but my overall opinion is that MS just moved everything around again so you can't find what you are looking for, made things more visually oriented, and added a couple extra items. Same goes for office 2007, but I do like the layout better with the "ribbons", just suffering through the learning curve of finding everything again sucks.

mattgerth said:
Same goes for office 2007, but I do like the layout better with the "ribbons", just suffering through the learning curve of finding everything again sucks.

Yeah, I did a training and it really helped, being forced to sit there all day and figure it out. Now that that's done, I'm really excited for the smart art and live preview. If I could have changed one thing about Office 2003, it would have been live preview. Everything else is just nice extras :D

Back
Top Bottom